Help!

hey guys and girls,

i have decided to get a pump and im really nervous cuz i dont like change very much and i was wondering if anyone could tell me how they feel about their pump? im getting the animas ping.

Hello!

I just started pumping on Monday night (I have the Animas 2020) so I can definitely sympathize with your nervousness!  When I first considered pumping, I was hesitant to make the switch but, after three days, I know I made the right decision.  The first few days have been a bit rough for me - quite a few lows and a few highs! - but my trainer is great and my values are getting sorted out slowly but surely.

In hopes of aiding those struggling with the "to pump or not to pump" dilemma, I recently published a post about my long-considered switch to insulin pump therapy.  You can read more about my switch to pumping at My Favourite Number.

Cheers and Good Luck!
Laura

I absolutely love my pump... it has made life alot easier. You'll love not having to take multiple shots a day! Good Luck and congratulations!

Josh

we are not a family of change - HOWEVER - when my husband got the pump after being a type 1 for over 25 years he said "it feels as though I am now off of a 32 year long diet". He was thrilled with the freedom it provided. He and my son have the medtronics. My loves that any one can give him insulin at any time (he is only 6). Despite the change - you will be glad that you did.

thanks for helping me everyone. Its nice to have people to talk to when im doing something new and nerve wrecking. So im still nervous about sleeping with it cuz idk where to put it that wont be uncomfortable or make it come out. Thats all im worried about. But thanks again.

Stevie

Hi, I've been diabetic for 34 years, and I was afraid of changing from my old system to a whole new one.  But I finally did two months ago, and that was after doing my research for a year.  I looked at the pumps available, and narrowed my search down to two pumps - the Animas One Touch Ping and the Omnipod.  It took me a while 'cuz I kinda wanted things spelled out for me, but it's not always spelled out to that extent.  Anyway, I began using my Omnipod about 2 months ago, and it's the best thing I've done.  The pumps make your life so much simpler and remove some of the stress factors of being diabetic.  While I am still in the process of fine tuning my basal rates, I've eliminated most of my low blood sugar problems.

[quote user="StevieRae"]So im still nervous about sleeping with it cuz idk where to put it that wont be uncomfortable or make it come out. Thats all im worried about. But thanks again. Stevie

[/quote]

Sleeping with the pump is no big deal! A bigger deal is trying to find where to hide it in certain outfits is more of an issue for me! 

For me, I either hook my pump to the back of my pj pants, or just let it hang.  I don't sleep on my back so I never have to worry about laying on it.  Most of the time I just let it hang and roll around with me.  I have pulled one set out and that was my fault!  They are stick really well and unless you peel the edge off with your fingertips they dont just come off. 

My pump has gone bungee-pumping soo many times and been stuck on every single door knob and it does not come out!  You will find out what works for you, but its not bad!

ha-ha - your pump's gone bungee-pumping  - you're cracking me up - that's a good one :)

Ok - I waited 38 years before I got up the courage to try a pump...  I wish I had done it YEARS earlier.  I love my pump.  My blood sugars are LOTS better now and the way the pump makes your life "easier" is amazing.  I say go for it, you won't be sorry.

Hi! I have a paradigm pump and I ADORE it. The first couple days may seem a little annoying, but I now feel weird without it, like its a body part. I am sure you’ll love it and your blood sugar levels will get a lot better! Hope this helps!

[quote user="Ronda"]

ha-ha - your pump's gone bungee-pumping  - you're cracking me up - that's a good one :)

[/quote]

haha it happens to me all the time. i ALWAYS leave it on my lap and forget that its there and just stand up! Ever done it before??

My favorite place for my tube to get stuck is on my cash register at work, people look at me like i'm all crazy when that happens.

You know what would be awesome: an infusion set that disconnects from the site when a certain amount of pressure is put on it. That way, if we snag it off, it only dissconnects, we dont have to do it all over, (the insertiuon proccess)

[quote user="Jenny"]leeping with the pump is no big deal![/quote]

i had the harderst time figuring out what to do with my pump when i sleep.  i move around a lot at night, so if i sleep in gym shorts with pockets, it almost always falls out and ends up getting tugged on all night long.  i like to either clip if to my shorts in the inner thigh area so that i am never lying on top of it OR i will wear my gym shorts inside out (so the pockets openings are on the inside) and put the pump in my pocket...hasnt fallen out yet doing it that way.

i have a had a pump for the past 7 years or so and really like it....  all minimeds (508, 715, now 722) so far and would def. recommend them.

hey my name is devin i have the animus pump to me sometimes it sometimes hurts when you put it to close to the bone but most of the time it doesnt.once you get the pump it takes a while to get used to it but youll get the hang of it trust me ive had it over a year 

p.s. your welcome!

hey my name is devin i have had the pump for about a year in a half and yes i have problems to when i go to bed so i either sleep on the my side the one without the pump or i sleep straight.

I have a MM 522 and I love it. It allows me to have much more freedom. I can eat if I want to or not eat if I don't want to (that was a biggie for me... I have HAVING to eat) I was on MDI for years and years. Since I began pumping, my lows have all but disappeared during the night YAY!! I still have lows sometimes during the day, but that is due to the operator (me) when I work out too long without having used a temp basal and things of that sort.

When I go to bed, I simply throw the pump in with me and when I wake up in the morning, I simply reel it in. I sleep on a water bed though so I suppose if I do ever sleep on top of it, I wouldn't know. I have alot of tissue damage  from so many years of MDI. I am running a little short of real estate to put the infusion, so I am very careful to rotate and not use the same site over and over in a row.

I did MDI's for 36 years.... once I switched to the pump.... I wondered why I had waited so long.

There are a few tricks that everyone has to iron out, but once you get the hang of it, you too may wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Bungee-pumping...that's the funniest thing I've read on here! Mine does it all the time...at least once a day lol

[quote user="Erica Y."]

Bungee-pumping...that's the funniest thing I've read on here! Mine does it all the time...at least once a day lol

[/quote]

me too! its great. haha

[quote user="Mickey"]

i had the harderst time figuring out what to do with my pump when i sleep.  i move around a lot at night, so if i sleep in gym shorts with pockets, it almost always falls out and ends up getting tugged on all night long.  i like to either clip if to my shorts in the inner thigh area so that i am never lying on top of it OR i will wear my gym shorts inside out (so the pockets openings are on the inside) and put the pump in my pocket...hasnt fallen out yet doing it that way.

i have a had a pump for the past 7 years or so and really like it....  all minimeds (508, 715, now 722) so far and would def. recommend them.

[/quote]

hmm that sounds like a good plan! I don't really think its such a problem, sleeping that is. I have seen special clothes that people make for pumps when sleeping.  Might want to check that out!

[quote user="Cesar"]

You know what would be awesome: an infusion set that disconnects from the site when a certain amount of pressure is put on it. That way, if we snag it off, it only dissconnects, we dont have to do it all over, (the insertiuon proccess)

[/quote]

I think this would be a bad plan for me! I would end up breaking my pump from it falling on the ground so many times!

[quote user="Erica Y."]

[/quote]

me too! its great. haha

[quote user="Mickey"]

[/quote]

hmm that sounds like a good plan! I don't really think its such a problem, sleeping that is. I have seen special clothes that people make for pumps when sleeping.  Might want to check that out!

[quote user="Cesar"]

[/quote]

I think this would be a bad plan for me! I would end up breaking my pump from it falling on the ground so many times!