Things my doctor is concerned about

Hello all! I love this site, I really appreciate all the feedback I have gotten and it's comforting to know there are others going through the same things as I am.

My last visit (about 32 weeks) my doctor said the baby is on the bigger side (4lbs 9oz)  and my fluid level is high? He seemed to believe this was fairly typical since I am a diabetic. But his concerns add to my worries! Anyone have information on these high fluid levels?? I've been doing everything I can to keep my sugars down and my a1c is in the 6's. I feel helpless!

Hi Brimarie,

Did he seem as though he was overly concerned about it or no? At the end of my pregnancy I was bordering on the level of high fluids but he didn't seem that concerned about it. He told me that it could be treated with medicine but, i never got to that point. Here is a link, don't know if you saw this yet: americanpregnancy.org/.../highamnioticfluidpolyhydramnios.htm

You're not a bad mom.  You're not helpless.  Every pregnancy is different and every expectant parent has different things to worry about.  Just take decent care of your diabetes and deal with issues as they arise.  

I had high fluid levels with my pregnancy and knew nothing about it until my water broke and one of the labor & delivery nurses said, "Wow, that's a lot of amniotic fluid," and another nurse said it was common in diabetic pregnancies.  

As long as there's no health risk, the extra fluid is actually great.  It gives your baby more room to move around so he/she isn't constantly in your ribs or on your bladder.  I felt my son move in vitro, but it was never uncomfortable like some moms experience.