Talk me down

Anybody still up?

Of course, I'm smart enough to call the endocrinology on call if Aaron's blood sugar gets too high.  And nobody besides Aaron should bother trying to figure out what went awry.

I'm just looking for someone to deal with me emotionally.  Aaron's been out with friends at a park for the holiday and is now spending the night with a friend.  We knew he was going to eat junk at the park for supper and talked about how to try to count up carbs.  He took a carb book.  I cannot be certain what he ate, but the holiday spirit threw any judgment out the window.  I know he had hamburgers, funnel cake, snow cone, and lemonade.  He took 25 units of Humalog before his "supper."

Somehow, he overestimated.  Who can know with all that junk?  At one point, prior to 9:00, his blood sugar was 44.  He "corrected" that by getting cotton candy.  I think I later heard he was at 69.  At 10:30 or so he had a slice of pizza before his Lantus, and I don't think he's had anything else.

So, his blood sugar at 12:15 a.m. was 200.  I was fine with him on the phone.  He's supposed to call back at 1 a.m.  But now he's about to call and I'm all upset, crying, worried to death that his blood sugar will just keep climbing.

I've tried to not smother him and tried to let him live life.  But this makes me want to go pick him up and bring him home.  Who's going to get sleep tonight anyway?  How do you mother a teen with diabetes and keep everybody happy and healthy?

Well, it's 1:05 a.m.  His blood sugar is 160.  So I guess maybe I can relax for now.  He's supposed to check and call again at 4 a.m.  Anyone want to takes bets on if I'll sleep tonight?

But I'd still love insight on how to mother a teen with diabetes and keep everyone happy and healthy.

Angie,

Take a breather! Breathe in, Breathe out. OK!

Now obviously 25 units of fast acting is way too much to cover a meal and he shouldn't cover his low with cotton candy but, all you can do is what you are doing. You are a mom and moms worry no matter what age you are. I am 33 and married, and my mom still checks up on me during the day.

Is this his first time out on a sleep over and going out without you?

I'm not a mother of a diabetic (or a mother at all for that matter), but I am a teen, and I think I might be able to shed a little insight on what he's thinking.

Kids just want to have fun, and be worry free, its just how we are. Diabetes is one of those things we tend to blow off sometimes. The easiest way to get him to do what you want is just to make sure to remind him what could happen if he doesn't watch it carefully, maybe let him read some of the complications posted around Juvenation even?

I wasn't the best diabetic either until I came on here and read all of the stories people had written about their complications. It really put diabetes as a priority in my mind rather then just something I lived with. By reading REAL PEOPLES STORIES about problems caused by lax care for diabetes really made me think, "do I want to be another one of those with kidney failure, or to be blind?"

hopefully this helped a little, good luck on the sleeping (; Maybe try and relax with a good book or something while you wait for the next call.