T1D - autoantibody negative

Hi,

My partner has been diagnosed with T1D about 3 months ago at the age of 26 and, wow, what a journey it has been already so far. This is not something that runs in his family (or mine) so this learning & lifestyle change is all very new to both of us.

He is still in his honeymoon stage, so we have not been able to establish his insulin ratio as of yet and I stilll think maybe its somewhat easier to manage at this stage until he stops producing insulin completely.

My question for this group is around his blood test results. All the autoantibody testings were negative including the GAD antibody (which I believe is generally the test that determines T1D diagnosis). He is now participating in a local Panda Study with an Endo on this as apparently it is rather rare and there isnt many answers. So I thought I would reach out on this forum and see if anyone else has experienced something similar and what does it mean.

Thank you,
Leah.

Hi @leahgund and welcome to Type One Nation and the forum. GAD is only 1 marker, and not all T1s test positive for GAD antibodies and some people test positive and don’t have T1. There is some information here https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/GAD-antibodies

So starting with high blood sugar I suppose it’s important to figure out if it is a insulin production problem or an insulin absorption problem because it gives different options and plans for treatments. Other than that, if you don’t make enough (or any) insulin for whatever reason, then you test your blood sugar and inject insulin. If you make a lot of insulin but can’t absorb it, then you test your blood sugar and you take medication to help your absorption. I’m making it simpler than it is but the important thing is to test and control blood sugar using the best means possible. I urge you to continue to work with your doctors and to follow the recommendations and to test blood sugar. Cheers !

1 Like

Thank you Joe for your response. We have our first appointment with the Endo next week so we will ask a few more questions about the production vs. absorption point you made. Thanks so much

1 Like

Look into something called MIDD, it might explain late onset type one diabetes. I was diagnosed with t1d at age 53 that at the time couldn’t be explained.
Tom

Hi Leah, I’m an older guy who’s been T1 for 57 years. Not sure there is an easier time to control diabetes. Not familiar with antibody tests but blood sugars will prove it is T1. It’s not always easy but you and your partner can learn to live with it. Don’t lose hope.

1 Like