So far I really dig this site!

Hi, I just started to troll around this site a couple of days ago and I have to say... I really like it.  I am a member of a few others as well but I feel juvenation has been easy and helpful.

My son is newly diagnosed ( about 4 months now?).   Over all, I think Ty is doing really well and I have only had two or three total break downs (when everyone is gone of course) since the day we went into the hospital! lol

I would love to meet and chat and listen to others livin the same life with the big D.  I know my non D friends have no idea and are probably bored with all my conversations about this number and that unit amount.  Basically another language.  

Thanks!  Lori

Lori, 

Welcome to Juvenation! Thanks for joining us here. I'm glad you're enjoying this site. It's people like you who are sharing their stories about the" big D" that make this site valuable and informative for everyone else here going through the same thing. I doubt you'll find anyone here bored about talking, talking, taliking about diabetes. We all talk the same lingo, it's always on our minds and we all have too much at stake (for you it's Ty, for me it's Cassie and my wife). Thanks again for being part of the conversation. I hope you get as much out of juvenation as I already have.

I also really like this site.  My daughter was diagnosed a week ago and I am still so overwelmed.  My husband is in Iraq until August probably and I just feel like there is so much to do and learn and that life will never be "normal".  I am also going through all the guilt of not seeing the signs earlier.  Thank God he was watching out for her! 

It is so scary to see kids go through something like this.  Maybe even more so for the parents.  Since the first couple of days in the hospital, I am doing fairly well but the nights (after she goes to sleep) and it is just me, I tend to break down.  I don't know if other parents would understand this or not. 

Right now I feel like every conversation resolves around this.  I am hoping to find as many support groups (on line or in person) so I can just talk about this as freely as possible. I also really want to get my daughter into some kind of group so she sees there are other kids out there with this.

My daughter is so shy, it is heartbreaking to see her and be so unsure of things.

There was only a week and a half left in school after she got out of the hospital so I didn't send her back yet.  I am scared to let her go.  Also, her school is so small there are no other children with diabetes there so there will have to be some training going on.

Well, I just wanted to vent my emotions out to others who may understand what I am feeling.

Thanks.  Tanya

Tanya,

I totally understand how you feel!  It is great to be able to talk to people about diabetes and the daily struggels.  It is just nice knowing someone who understands why there are meltdowns sometimes.  Feel free to contact me any time!

Kathie

Tanya,

I know all of those feelings.  And please.. vent!  That's what we all need in this group.  

Support groups are the best and my son loves to go.  He counts the weeks till we go again and can't wait to see the new friends he has made.  ( our group is once a month)

We were diagnosed in Feb and 87% of my conversations are still about Ty and diabetes.  A language that many people don't speak.  Or it feels that way.

Please feel free to hit me up for conversation any time!

Lori

Personally, I don't really care right now. There haven't been any cases around my area, to my knowledge. I really don't think it's that big of a deal. I think the media is making it into something way bigger than it actually is. There's only like a 3% death rate right now, so I'm not worried. I doubt it's spreading as fast as, say, the Black Plague. When it gets that bad, then I will start to pay more attention to it. Until then, though, I'm not doing anything about it. (=

|†~*Sarah*~†|

The media is trying to scare you so u will watch their new network for up todate tips on staying away from it. Really only 25 people died in the US last i check, 13,000 people die from the regular flu every year. So I'm not real worried about it.

From what I've heard, swine flu is just another kind of flu that is actually not as bad as the regular flu. People seem to be recovering better from the swine flu than the regular flu; it doesn't have such bad effects.

you can go here to see updates on the number of cases and deaths

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

there's been 263 deaths in the US.

I do think the media is making more of a deal about it then it really is, however, I try to pay attention so that I know whats going on, if it does become worse.

The only reason it's just a "big" deal is because they've never seen this strand of the flu therefore they don't have a vaccine, but they are working on it.

and yes I also heard that it's suppose to come back for another round this fall.

vaccines for teh flu are useless. you get a vaccine for the flu strain the PREVIOUS year and hope it works for this years strain? psh.

i havent had the flu shot since i was a little kid and i've only had the flu maybe three times my whole life.

With typical flu, they grow strains and make best guesses as to which strains to vaccinate for.  Children, the elderly, and those with compromised immune systems benefit from being vaccinated because they are more at risk for the complications associated with the full blown virus.  This is why these groups can sometimes get vaccines for free.  If there is no vaccine you end up using things like tamiflu and interferon, and if a virus gets resistant to that there's nothing left.  Until a good vaccine is ready, there is a general risk, but increased risk for special groups, such as sweeping through a nursing home.  The fear is that if we can't prevent contact, we could end up with a chain reaction (like measles outbreaks amongst children who don't get immunizations).  Once a vaccine gets established we will probably treat this like the current "flu", and develop yearly doses for the public.

As a nurse they have told us that the "swine" H1N1 flu is going down for right now. However, they think it may reach pandemic heights this upcoming flu season and highly recommend getting a flu shot when they come out this year. Many hospitals are even trying to find a way to enforce a mandatory flu vaccine for all health care works this year. I wouldn't freak out about it or anything, but definitely be cautious and avoid people that seem to have the flu :)

Hi Rosemary,do you know when it's time for the next flu shots ? My daughter missed hers last year and it worried me when she got sick once.I take a flu shot too,so I can try to avoid it and be here for her. I thought everyone with type 1 got flu shots ? What else can be done to avoid it ? We did try to avoid people with it,washed hand more,and if anyone came to my house sick last winter-out came the spay can of Lysol..Ha--Did you see much flu last year and how did the ones with type1 do ? .....Hi Courtney,I try not to worry,but I do watch the news and they put too much out there at times for ratings.ha

sorry,spelled your name wrong--Courtenay--that's better

[quote user="meme"]

Hi Rosemary,do you know when it's time for the next flu shots ? My daughter missed hers last year and it worried me when she got sick once.I take a flu shot too,so I can try to avoid it and be here for her. I thought everyone with type 1 got flu shots ? What else can be done to avoid it ? We did try to avoid people with it,washed hand more,and if anyone came to my house sick last winter-out came the spay can of Lysol..Ha--Did you see much flu last year and how did the ones with type1 do ? .....Hi Courtney,I try not to worry,but I do watch the news and they put too much out there at times for ratings.ha

[/quote]

T1's get free flu shots in canada and are guarenteed a shot just like elderly...but we don't have to take them. i dont take vaccine shots and don't plan to unless i'm going traveling. :)

the media freaked my mom out about swine flu for a bit..she even went out and bought masks..but she still doesn't agree with the flu shot and has told me that i can get one this year if i want to but she isn't too concerned about it.

ha-You can bet if swine flu came in your area that everyone would be at your moms---looking for those mask !!

haha she bought 10..and honestly, if you are suppose to switch them every 3hours, it wouldn't last the 5 of us in the family very long!!

interesting...I assume the masks are disposable? Or can you actually clean them for reuse?  It makes me wonder if the people you see on TV wearing masks actually change them throughout the day.

you are suppose to change them every 3hours because they get moist which is obviously a feeding ground for baterica

In NY they closed schools for like a week or something and then reopened.