It's an interesting ride :)

I am new to Type 1 Diabetes.  My son, Logan, was diagnosed on Thanksgiving day, after my husband and I watched him drink and drink and drink all day.  We had known something was wrong, and watched him get thinner.  He had less energy, and was even concerned himself about his fatigue.  We ended up getting him diagnosed before he was in DKA, thank goodness.  He is doing well, and still on injections while we decide about pumps.  I'm thrilled to find an outlet, and I appreciate each of you for your experience and insight.  You are amazing parents. 

My son was just diagnosed last month. This is a really good place to meet and get to know others who are going through exactly what you're going through too.

Hi Julebug and Karen,

My son was diagnosed about 8 months ago. This is a good place to meet people and a good outlet, sadly though sometimes there isn't much activity on here.

It gets easier.

My son was diagnosed just oer a year ago. Still trying to breath, I keep waiting for it to get easier. Wish there was more activity on here though.

Hi everyone!  June 1st will be my son's 3 year anniversary and he just turned 4.  I have to wonder sometimes which is better?  Being diagnosed at such any early age or older?   For Zackery,  this is all he knows.  4 shots a day in his legs.  *We used his tummy for maybe 6 months before dr told us to stop which I agreed,  he was getting those little fat pockets they tell you about. *  And if you want more activity,  I can help.   Stay at home mom of 3 kids and there are moments I get bored when they are doing their activities.  Oh and I'm starting home schooling.  Kinda fun since I wanted to be a teacher anyway,  just didn't think it would be for my own kids.   Lol. This whole diabetes thing is still a learning process for us as well.  Don't be afraid to jump on here anytime.  Oh and encourage the significant others too.

I've had diabetes over 35 years and it still is an "interesting ride."  You all seem like such cool parents and are doing a good job helping your kids live well with diabetes.  

Take care.

-Jenna

My 10 year old son has had T1D for almost 4  years and he finally went on the pump about 9 months ago.  Like Jenna said it is an interesting ride.  Just when you think things are going good you get thrown a curve ball and have to find something else that works.  We are still learning things.  And I love this website although I don't have near enough time to be on here. We have a support group that we get together with a couple of times a year but we have to drive 1 1/2 hours but it allows my son to be around other kids that go through the same thing and it gives me a chance to get with other parents and talk with them about what works for them or things they might be trying. And we also are members of a JDRF chapter which we have to drive 3 hours but I love the get togethers they have.  They have a Family Retreat once a year and they have lots of sessions for parents to choose from to learn from and activities for children to do.  If you haven't yet I would recommend joining a JDRF chapter where you guys live.

My 10 year old son has had T1D for almost 4  years and he finally went on the pump about 9 months ago.  Like Jenna said it is an interesting ride.  Just when you think things are going good you get thrown a curve ball and have to find something else that works.  We are still learning things.  And I love this website although I don't have near enough time to be on here. We have a support group that we get together with a couple of times a year but we have to drive 1 1/2 hours but it allows my son to be around other kids that go through the same thing and it gives me a chance to get with other parents and talk with them about what works for them or things they might be trying. And we also are members of a JDRF chapter which we have to drive 3 hours but I love the get togethers they have.  They have a Family Retreat once a year and they have lots of sessions for parents to choose from to learn from and activities for children to do.  If you haven't yet I would recommend joining a JDRF chapter where you guys live.