Snacks and A Four Year Old With T1D

My four year old daughter was diagnosed with T1D just this week. We have been home from the hospital for only two days, and I am already running out of low or no carb snack ideas for her. Any suggestions would be wonderful…

I’m sorry you’re having to deal with this, but welcome to our club! I try to just eat 3 meals a day with a snack at night, and I eat stuff that’s pretty high in protein (meat, eggs, cheese, nuts) to stay satisfied for several hours so I don’t have to deal with snacks and the BG fluctuations that come with them. However, I understand snacks are a necessity sometimes with kids and growth spurts. Here are some of my favorite lower-carb snacks:

Celery with peanut butter
Salted nuts (very low carb)
Spicy or chili nuts
Sugar-free Jello (no-carb, a squirt of whipped cream is OK)
Cucumbers or snap peas with ranch dressing (avoid “low fat” dressings due to added sugar)

These have some carbs but are good if she wants something sweet:
Honey roasted peanuts or almonds
Blueberries, raspberries or strawberries with a sprinkle of Splenda or Equal

Hello
Our 2 1/2 year old has been diabetic for one year now. Some of her favorite low/no carb snacks are string cheese, grape tomatoes, cucumber slices, red pepper slices, raw cauliflower, celery, sunflower seeds, peanuts, almonds, dill pickles, sf jello.
The rest of us have cut back on our carb snacks too which helps minimize the “monkey see monkey do” effect. If we aren’t having snacks or not having a different carb-laden snack than she is, then she’s ok with not having a snack. good luck.