New to T1 - Help with snack suggestions

Hi everyone,
I’m a newly diagnosed T1 mom of a vivacious 4 year old girl. I am looking for zero snacks for our girl, we have tried a bunch of things from celery/peanut butter to sugar free treats and all we can get her to consistently snack on is nuts. She’s not really into eating meats, but cheese has also worked well.

Before our diagnosis, I was one of those moms that never gave my kid any artificial sweeteners or foods with page long ingredient lists…oh the times have changed! Any ideas for us?

• Maile

Hello @makaulukukui
My T1 kiddo is 2 1/2. Some of her favorite free snacks are pickles, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, string cheese, sugar free jello once in a while, nuts, ice cubes(weird but true), or just a cup of crystal light “juice”. These are the things that we keep on hand for when she has eaten her whole meal or regular snack and wants something more at one of those times. We don’t have snacks at non snack times. Our two non-t1 kids don’t get snacks at non snack times either that way no one feels special or left out. hope you find a few ideas that work. When Bea has eaten all her carb allotment for her meal and wants more I will say all done carbs, you can have something free and then give her 2-3 free choices. She is on 2/day injections and follows a meal plan to the T. This is just how we handle it. Hope you find what works for you.

Hello @mkaulukukui
My T1 kiddo is 2 1/2. Some of her favorite free snacks are pickles, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, string cheese, sugar free jello once in a while, nuts, ice cubes(weird but true), or just a cup of crystal light “juice”. These are the things that we keep on hand for when she has eaten her whole meal or regular snack and wants something more at one of those times. We don’t have snacks at non snack times. Our two non-t1 kids don’t get snacks at non snack times either that way no one feels special or left out. hope you find a few ideas that work. When Bea has eaten all her carb allotment for her meal and wants more I will say all done carbs, you can have something free and then give her 2-3 free choices. She is on 2/day injections and follows a meal plan to the T. This is just how we handle it. Hope you find what works for you.

Kudos on the cukes. Hard boiled eggs, just the whites if nothing else. The yolks are pure protein.

Hello @ mkaulukukui

My 10 year old was diagnosed 10 months ago, and finding free snacks that can also be taken to school can be challenging. We have found, that if measured correctly, popcorn can be a free snack. We use BoomChickaPop…about 1 cup is 4 carbs. At Halloween the have individual treat bags that are 4 carbs. We have found them at target and usually buy them out! He also likes blueberries, cucumbers, watermelon, baby carrots, pitzelles- I cookie is 3 cards, but sometimes we let him have 2. Pickles, sugar free jello, cream cheese and celery, cashews, vanilla almonds,and chocolate almonds- they are both individually packaged which is great for on the go! Hope that helps! I have spent hours in the grocery stores reading the carbs in search of free snacks!

Ive had T1 since I was 11, and I’m 21 now- so I totally understand the sudden switch of snacks can be stressful! Nuts are PB are great- but careful because those can cause your sugar to go up later on rather than immediately (or atleast for me, I try to eat PB before work outs so I dont shoot low, it usually works!)

Heres a few things I’ve found that I love that are low-carb…

DRINKS: Low-cal gatorade is awesome! Hint water is amazing too and has no artificial sweeteners or anything, and tastes awesome! Crystal light. Capri Sun = GODSENT! low sugar and super delicious!
They have low-cal or reduced sugar cranberry juice as well, or Trop50 OJ ~ these give her the feeling of drinking juice without having to worry so much about the sugar.

as for snacks- cheerios are great! I’ve noticed other cereals make me go high and get tummy aches much faster (like cinnamon toast crunch or honey bunches of oats).
theres a low-carb pasta that comes in a black box by the brand “Dreamfields” --my whole family eats this and doesn’t even notice it’s low carb!!
flat-bread from the store is good for sandwiches as well, the 100-cal sandwich thins. That way you can have grilled cheese or any meat-sandwich, without worrying about all the bread carbs.

Hope this helps!

Hi My 10 year old daughter was just diagnosed this week. I spent about 2 hours in the store yesterday trying to find “free snacks”. How difficult! I’m not so worried about home, but more so when she is in school. Has anyone come up with other good ideas? Ive read all that’s been posted so far. I would really appreciate any ideas!