Should I switch to humalog pen?

Hi! I am considering switching from my regular shots/vials ( i use Levemir an Humalog) to the Humalog pen. Does anyone use this humalog pen? I would love to know,

1. how much insulin do you take while on the humalog pen?

2. how many times a day?

3. do you need to take a base insulin as well? such as Levemir?

And anything else you think I should know. Thanks so much!!! I really appreciate it :-)

1. Your dose wouldn't change because it's still the same insulin, it's just in a cartridge instead of a vial.

2. Same as #1.

3. Yes, you still need your Levemir. It's also available in a pen.

The Humalog pen can be re-used, you just replace the cartridge every 30 days or when it runs out. The Levemir pen is disposable. Also, if you use the pens be sure to leave the needle under your skin a little bit longer than you would with the syringe because it takes a little longer to deliver and absorb.

I use pens and i MUCH prefer them to vials. They are faster, more portable, and less breakable. I have 1 pen that I use for Levemir, and once you use up the cartridge you just throw it out and put in a new one.  The second pen is Novorapid (which is the same, or very similar to humalog i think) and the pen works the same way.  

1 tip is that if you are using 2 pens, make sure they are different colours.  Even though the insulin cartridges have their own colours, its very easy to grab the wrong pen so separate colours works best.  I always keep Levemir in the blue pen, and Novorapid in the silver...that way there are no mix ups! Good luck!

My daughter uses the pen for Humalog and really likes it.  We have Lantus in the pen too but switched back to the vial becuase it does not give half units so...be sure to look into that for your long acting.  I know Humalog does do half units.

If you have the opportunity available to you, I think you should give it a try and see how it works with your lifestyle.

You can always switch back, and if you never change anything you can never find "better." Good luck!

[quote user="Virginia"]

I use pens and i MUCH prefer them to vials. They are faster, more portable, and less breakable. I have 1 pen that I use for Levemir, and once you use up the cartridge you just throw it out and put in a new one.  The second pen is Novorapid (which is the same, or very similar to humalog i think) and the pen works the same way.  

1 tip is that if you are using 2 pens, make sure they are different colours.  Even though the insulin cartridges have their own colours, its very easy to grab the wrong pen so separate colours works best.  I always keep Levemir in the blue pen, and Novorapid in the silver...that way there are no mix ups! Good luck!

[/quote]

Thanks for the opinions. I think its a good way.

Humalog also comes in disposable "kwikpens" if you don't want to change cartridges. I find that easier.