Sarah's a new pumper!

I just had to share that Sarah started on the Animas Ping yesterday morning. She's been looking forward to this day pretty much since her diagnosis, which was about 5.5 months ago. I am so proud of her. She's taking so much responsibility for her diabetes, but still asking for help/advice and sharing everything with me. We had a great time yesterday after she attached to her pump. We ran errands, went shopping, and had sushi for dinner - with no stopping for shots! The whole time she stayed well within her nice range, between about 130-160. Not bad for the first day!

She went to bed at 135. It took us a minute to figure out that it would probably be best to clip the pump to her pajama shorts in the front (as she tends to roll around a lot on her sides and back while she sleeps - my older daughter calls her a sleeping ninja because she's so wild) and I sent an alarm for 2am at which point she was still at a happy 114. The pump was still perfectly attached in the morning.

She went to school today proud as can be of her new pump (which she has named Seymour), and totally ready to take on the day and any questions from her classmates. I can't wait to hear all about it tonight.

Just had to share. This is such a big moment for her! :-)

Thanks for posting your excitement.  Sarah rocks and so does mom!!

very exciting to hear :o) i'm so glad the first day went so well!

That is soooo great!  I am still jazzed about my pump (and sensor - 3/09 & 4/10)

Thanks all! So far so good. She called me at lunch and she was 94.

Yay!  :)  Glad it's working so well for her already.  I'd be intereted to hear how "the reaction" goes too, or if anyone at her school even notices it! 

[quote user="Kim"]

I'd be intereted to hear how "the reaction" goes too, or if anyone at her school even notices it! 

[/quote]

I took her into her daycare yesterday afternoon for a few minutes so I could modify her care plan and drop off an infusion set, and one of the kids asked her "Is that a new Ipod?". She told him, "No, this is my pancreas, and his name is Seymour". The kid looked a little confused...

Congratulations to both of you!!  I'm glad it's working so well for her so far.  That's such a funny story/possibly the best reply to that question :)

[quote user="Michelle"]

[quote user="Kim"]

I'd be intereted to hear how "the reaction" goes too, or if anyone at her school even notices it! 

[/quote]

I took her into her daycare yesterday afternoon for a few minutes so I could modify her care plan and drop off an infusion set, and one of the kids asked her "Is that a new Ipod?". She told him, "No, this is my pancreas, and his name is Seymour". The kid looked a little confused...

[/quote]

LOVE THAT!

Michelle, that is wonderful! Tell Sarah that old man Richard is very proud of her. Lol!

Congrats to you and her. I hope for the day and soon that Ri wants to get a pump. I am tired of fighting her numbers all the time and think a pump would really help. Heck hearing a kid at school is 94 almost makes me go into low mode just because its so hard to get Rileys numbers down in that range. She panics at 116 which is a GREAT number and I tell her so but she again is use to being higher than lower. So yay for you guys I am really happy for you.

Really happy for her and you!  The pump is an amazing tool, my children love having so much flexibility!  Congrats!

contagious im geting a new pump.

Quick update: So far so good, mostly. I woke up last night to check her at 2am and she was 77 - and she's never before been low at night, so this freaked me out a little. I suspended her basal for two hours, and checked her at 4am and she was up to 99. For my own piece of mind I decided to suspend her for two more hours. When she tested at breakfast she was 112, so all's well.

My only concern now is how long I'm going to have to keep checking her all night. I have a full time job that requires my brain to be functioning, and today it feels like mush. Obviously Sarah is priority number 1, but how the heck can I be up every two hours at night and still perform at 100% during the day? I'd love some advice from other parents who've had this issue.

Congratulations! Im glad shes doing so well with "Seymor"! And i loved the story! Hope things continue to go great for you guys! 

my mom says she talks to u on facebook sometimes she have to deal with this issue a lot of times maybe she can help.

[quote user="Michelle"]

My only concern now is how long I'm going to have to keep checking her all night. I have a full time job that requires my brain to be functioning, and today it feels like mush. Obviously Sarah is priority number 1, but how the heck can I be up every two hours at night and still perform at 100% during the day? I'd love some advice from other parents who've had this issue.

[/quote]

Why don't you try lowering her overnight basals?  If she's higher at 2am then hopefully you can sleep through until morning and she won't drop low.  Unfortunately, it does take some experimentation.  Also, I'm not sure it's the best idea to be completely without insulin for 4 hours.  Without a basal, you can develop ketones very quickly.  I've been told never to suspend for more than an hour at a time. 

Best of luck with everything!

[quote user="Katie"]

Also, I'm not sure it's the best idea to be completely without insulin for 4 hours.  Without a basal, you can develop ketones very quickly.  I've been told never to suspend for more than an hour at a time. 

[/quote]

What I actually did was lower her basal to -90% for two hours, checked her, and then did it again for two more hours. I don't think she can develop ketones unless her blood sugar is high; isn't that right? She was barely 100, so I wasn't too worried. I did call her nurse the next day and confirmed this was a good method to treat a slight low in the middle of the night. We're still learning, so I'm pretty cautious. I just didn't want to make her wake up to eat or drink something at 2pm - the kid needs her sleep.

So now we've moved from unexplained lows to highs. Sheesh! She was 145 this morning, 91 at lunch. She ate her lunch and I confirmed on her pump that she dosed herself correctly. At after-lunch snack time she tested and was 304! What the heck? And she couldn't figure out how to give herself a correction because the pump kept telling her to check her ketones. So I had her sister pick her up early, and she tested again in the car and was 345. My older daughter got on the phone with Animas and they walked her through clearing through the ketones check screen.

But where the heck did that high number come from? She ate a normal lunch (bean burrito and corn) and took insulin for the carbs just like she's supposed to - and four hours later she's over 300? She's down to 245 now (about an hour after they figured out how to give a correction), so clearly the site is okay.

Oy vey... fun day.

thats good im sick so Ketones is somethings i hate right now & lunch for me was notthings cant keep anythings down ugg i hate being sick.

Ok beans are both carbs and protein. Corn is a starch. So the protein and starch take longer to break down and release the carbs so they stay in your system longer. That is more or less what they told us about beans and corn in the hospital.