Sarah's a new pumper!

[quote user="Jessica "]

Ok beans are both carbs and protein. Corn is a starch. So the protein and starch take longer to break down and release the carbs so they stay in your system longer. That is more or less what they told us about beans and corn in the hospital.

[/quote]

I know, I think we'll go back to making her lunches. She just really likes buying lunch with her friends.

Today we had the totally opposite problem. I had her test mid-class and she was perfect, 149. About an hour later we showed up for her dentist appointment (early) and walked across the street. I bought her a cookie at the coffee shop and had her sit down to test - and she was 66! In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have let her eat the cookie, but I did, thinking it might not bring her up fast, but it was quite the sugary treat, so it would certainly bring her up! We get back to the dentist office a few minutes later, and she tests at 47! Yikes! So I have her drink an apple juice, test her again 15 minutes later and she's around 70. I have her drink a bit more juice, test her again and she's 54! So the juice is like sucking the carbs out of her system, or what? Hummm...possessed juice).

The weird part is she had no insulin on board when all this happened, so ??? By the time we got home she hit 80. She just had a nice bowl of clam chowder. I'm so waiting for these carbs to hit her and zoom her right up to ketone land.

Not our most fun day ever...

[quote user="Michelle"]

My only concern now is how long I'm going to have to keep checking her all night. I have a full time job that requires my brain to be functioning, and today it feels like mush. Obviously Sarah is priority number 1, but how the heck can I be up every two hours at night and still perform at 100% during the day? I'd love some advice from other parents who've had this issue. [/quote]

Maybe you could work with your CDE and pump trainer, there are a lot of ways to deal with overnight blood sugars.  The good news is it should be easier with a pump, the thing has a clock and you can program and test the overnight basal rates to be more sure her blood sugar wont rise or fall overnight.

you shouldn't have to check all night every night so really this should be gettinge easier for you and not harder.  Once the basal rates are set and checked,  they kind of only need periodic maintenance.  That being said...   if she was diagnosed at 5-1/2 months ago, she could still be honeymooning, which will affect her basal requirements.  Also as she grows, her basal requirements will change.  it is going to be hard for a while.  the other thing you can do is shoot for higher bedtime blood sugars, (check with your doctor) say, no lower than 130 at bedtime or as suggested by the doctor, and bedtime snacks which include fats/protein such as peanut butter, which tend to have a longer lasting effect in increasing blood sugar. 

good luck.  

Thanks Joe,

The crazy night where she was all low she did start at 135, which is why it surprised me so much. When she was taking lantus, she never dropped more than about 20-30 points overnight. She usually has a half peanut butter sandwich if she's hungry before bed.

I'm sure her honeymoon is the issue, but if there's any chance she's going to go low at night, I'll feel better if I check her at least once. She's just been so erratic lately - unexplainable lows and highs, which we aren't used to.

It'll get easier, I just like it a lot better when things are going super well, lol.

Sarah's now been on the pump for a week, and with the exception of a couple of weird unexplainable lows last weekend, and one really odd high, it's been great. Her blood sugar has been super consistent over the last few days, mostly staying in the 110-120 range. We did notice she was often close to 200 before dinner, so I moved her lunchtime ratio up from 1:25 to 1:20. We've been experimenting with combo boluses with great success too.

She is incredibly happy to be off shots and doesn't mind carrying the pump around at all. I did order her a small pack from http://www.spibelt.com/ - and for $2 they will put in a hole for her tubing. I can't wait to get it so she doesn't have her pump bouncing around on her pants during PE.

My favorite part is that it gives her such minute increments that I don't have to think about giving her too much if she's under her range or too little if she's over - the pump figures out the math and seems to give her just the right amount.

Yeah! Just so darn glad we've made it to this point. Thanks for everyone's support, this place has been an absolute godsend for me over the last few months.

my mom did the samething for me to i ues to have it  bouncing around on my pants that how the last pump i haved broke & im glad that the pump is working out for her i love my pump.

How long did it take from deciding Sarah was ready for the pump to actually getting one?  Our daughter has been diagnosed for a year and we are just starting the pump process.  Our institution is stating it will take at least 3 months to be cleared from a carb counting perspective (which is ridiculous as my husband has had T1 for over 20 years), and then many more visits for the actual training.  They will not even give us an estimate as to when she might actually have a start date.  What are other people's experiences?

Thanks!

[quote user="MomtoJess"]

How long did it take from deciding Sarah was ready for the pump to actually getting one?  Our daughter has been diagnosed for a year and we are just starting the pump process.  Our institution is stating it will take at least 3 months to be cleared from a carb counting perspective (which is ridiculous as my husband has had T1 for over 20 years), and then many more visits for the actual training.  They will not even give us an estimate as to when she might actually have a start date.  What are other people's experiences?

Thanks!

[/quote]

from the moment I decided I wanted a pump,  to actual pumping on insulin - 3 weeks.  Including delivery of the pump.

[quote user="MomtoJess"]

Thanks!

[/quote]

Sarah decided she wanted the pump about a week after she was diagnosed. Her doctors told us she had to wait 6-12 months, until she was fully capable at drawing insulin and carb counting. We called in August to check on when she might be able to start considering, and they told us we'd talk about it at her next appointment, and before they'd approve she would need to show a full 7 days of logs of her carbs and blood sugar. We went ahead and started the logging immediately in preparation. Once we hit that next appointment they approved her within about 3-4 days, then set up the pump orientation the next week. The pump was ordered immediately thereafter, and within two weeks she was a pumper.

If your husband is T1 and your daughter has been counting carbs for a year, I can't even imagine why they'd not let you start on the pump. We've been doing it for just over a week now, and it's been a really smooth transition.