RX for pumps

Why do you need a RX for a pump when you don't need one for syringes or insulin?  Just

wondering.  It's annoying because I want to try a different pump that my Endo doesn't prescribe because no-one in his office is educated on it.

bummer. . .anyone know how to get around this?

We needed a RX for insulin syringes test strips glucagon ketone strip well everything. Well we do for our insurance to pay for it at any rate.

[quote user="cure4all"]

Why do you need a RX for a pump when you don't need one for syringes or insulin?  Just wondering.  It's annoying because I want to try a different pump that my Endo doesn't prescribe because no-one in his office is educated on it.

[/quote]

The laws regarding prescriptions, and what requires a prescription, vary from one state to another. If I were you, I would contact the pump company you are interested in and get them to work with your endo on your behalf. It's very likely that they have lots of experience in dealing with this particular problem.

I think the reason you need an RX is that the pump is used to administer a medication, and if the dosing of the medication is not determined correctly, you can get into serious trouble, possibly fatal.

Wow that's crazy!  Laws are different in the great state of Ma

You don't need an Rx for insulin?

I know you can buy syringes, strips, etc. (they can be crazy expensive) OTC, but how are you buying insulin without a prescription?

I agree with Tom's advice to call the pump company. Our clinic doesn't have certified educators for the pump we selected for our son, so the company sent one to the pump start. Our clinic CDE/doctor worked out the basal/bolus amounts and then the trainer did all the actual training. It shouldn't be a barrier.

The reason for the RX is that the pump is a medical device is a Class I device. This means that is can kill you. Therefore, the FDA requires the RX as do States, to make sure you have training and medical professions to help use the device. 

The same applies to CGMs. 

I'd like to see a CMG-murder. (well, no, i wouldn't, but i am curious)

LOL Ajax!  This could be the premise of a good murder-mystery movie...  Any screenwriters out there???

I have a mixed response for the comment...although I understand the humor. The fact is, if you depend on a medical device to stay alive, if it does not work, for whatever reason, it can cause death. 

One example has to do with a BG meter problem caused by interaction between the chemicals used in the test strips and chemicals used to treat kidney disease.  Several deaths were reported from the treatment used to manage the incorrect BG readings, both at home and in the hospital.

The strips are now off the market and have been recalled and have been replace with new strip chemistry and patient warnings. That is why a Meter is classified as a Class 1 medical device. 

The CGM has several warnings on the packaging about not depending on the device for measuring BG, only a monitor should be used to measure BG. 

By the way...fact, insulin leaves no trace after a heart attack caused by overdose and low BG in non Ds. The trick is finding a way to get it in the body w/o leaving a mark...mystery writers go crazy with this one.

I do have to tell you that I am a T1D (40 yrs) and work for a company that makes meters, strips and CGMs.

Keep the humor coming, it's good for the sole.

You no longer need a prescription to get the ketosticks.  However everything else you do.  You can buy test strips over the counter....insulins is a little harder, syringes you dont need a prescription for to get at least one bag...but yea for a full box you do.  Its because of what everyone else has already stated.

Here in Maryland, you need a prescription for everything, and it must be very specific. The only thing that I've been able to find without a prescription is lancets, which I don't change enough to even bother with.

Sjwprod, I am relieved that you did see the humour in my response, and trust me, I do also appreciate the seriousness of ALL of this.  Having been a T1D for 36 years (you've got me beat!), I know that I would not be around today if it were not for all of these wonderful medical devices!

Here in Ontario, Canada, this is what I know regarding prescriptions:

• Insulin and syringes, individual packets or a whole box:  no Rx needed
  • Lancets:  no Rx needed
  • Test strips:  I have a prescription, but I'm not sure if it's required or not
  • BG Meters:  This one makes me laugh!  They do sell them in the pharmacies for anywhere from about $30 to $100.  BUT, if you keep your eyes open, there are always coupons in a bunch of publications offering free meters with the puchase of strips!  I currently own four of the Accu-chek Compact Plus meters, so I never have an excuse to not do a BG!
  • Pumps:  the Ontario government fully subsidizes the cost of a pump once every five years for T1Ds in Ontario.  Thiere is a lengthy form that does need to be filled out by the endocrinologist.
  • Pump supplies (i.e. cartridges & infusion sets); no Rx required
  • CGMs:  they are relatively new on the market in Canada - I don't have one - but I assume it is the same situation as the pumps.

Again, I hope I didn't offend with my "movie" post - Laughter has indeed gotten me out of some terribly sad, depressing and frightening times in the past!

[quote user="cure4all"]

Why do you need a RX for a pump when you don't need one for syringes or insulin?  Just

wondering.  It's annoying because I want to try a different pump that my Endo doesn't prescribe because no-one in his office is educated on it.

bummer. . .anyone know how to get around this?

[/quote]

If you have an Rx for medical stuff, it can be covered by your insurance. For example, I could pay $50 per bottle of 50 test strips...or I can pay $40 for 600 test strips with the Rx from my endo. Pretty sure it's for insurance purposes.

Also, where do you live where you don't need a script for insulin? I thought everyone needed an Rx for insulin since the pharmacy isn't just going to give it out.

I would also think that you can contact one of the pump companies (Animas etc.) and they can get in touch with your endo's office and either educate them or talk with them about having a training session with you. I know that I wasn't able to re-order my pump supplies, or at least they didn't ship them, until my new endo signed the Rx for them before I went to London last year...that was a headache and a half.