Does anyone know if you NEED a prescription for syringes and test strips?

I was at work yesterday and one of our ER doctors was trying to figure out if he needed to write a  patient with diabetes a prescription for syringes and test strips so he asked me, and I told him yes just because I've always used one.

But I really have no idea. I know that you can get Regular and NPH insulin without one so I figured it might be possible that you can get the others too.

At local pharmacies strips and syringes are kept behind their desks, but could you just walk in ask for a box of certain type of test strips and have them hand you one?  Figured it would only be important for insurance purposes for something harmless like strips.

I'm not sure about syringes, but you DON'T need a prescription for test strips. I see those out on the aisle all the time. :)

I am certain that you do not need one for test strips, they are usually behind the counter, and you just have to ask. (I've done that!) I am fairly certain you do not need one for syringes. Though if the patient has any kind of insurance, it is probably better to have a scrip, since test strips are EXPENSIVE! So even if you have to pay out of pocket, sometimes pharmacy does count toward deductible and annual out of pocket maximums, so better to run thru insurance first.

[quote user="Trish"]

I'm not sure about syringes, but you DON'T need a prescription for test strips. I see those out on the aisle all the time. :)

[/quote]

You don't need a script for test strips, BUT I got one because 1 package of strips (50 count) is $50. With an Rx, I can get 600 test strips for $50. Definitely the cheaper route

Because of illegal drug use, I think you may actually have to have a prescription for syringes. They don't want to go handing those things out if you don't really need them. But, of course, I don't know for sure. I haven't bought any in ages.

Like other precription drug laws, think having to have prescription for syringes varies by state.  Just ask at a local pharmacy next time you're there. 

I know you do need a script for syringes.  For the strips, if a person has insurance, the strips are cheaper with a script.

[quote user="jennagrant"]

Like other precription drug laws, think having to have prescription for syringes varies by state.  Just ask at a local pharmacy next time you're there. 

[/quote]

Jennagrant you are absolutely correct. Syringes are determined state by state. I know for a fact Vermont is one of the states that do allow you to purchase syringes without a prescription. You still have to go up to the pharmacy counter to ask for them though. Here is the loop hole. Many states have a needle exchange program, which allows people to come in and get syringes, no questions asked. This I believe is to help stop the spread of AIDS. Sometimes you have to go to a pharmacy and sometimes to a hospital.

I once had to use this program because I was in Vermont and my pump stopped working. I was not prepared for such a problem so I quickly did my research and found out I could go to a local pharmacy and pay for a bag of needles for like 5 bucks. 

HELLO TO THE LIST =)

Regarding Prescriptions ::

Glargine and its analog relatives,  Rx needed.

Lispro  and its analog relatives, Rx needed

NPH  (Beef/Pork/ Human Dna Recombined )  typically Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Regular  (Beef/Pork/ Human Dna Recombined ) typically Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Lente / Ultralente (Beef/Pork/ Human Dna Recombined ) typically Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Mixtures  of  analogs  i.e 70/30 Novolog  Rx required

Test Strips     Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Pen Needles     Rx required if you have it filled at a National Chain Pharmacy( CVS, Walgreens, etc.)        Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Syringes         Rx required if you have it filled at a National Chain Pharmacy( CVS, Walgreens, etc.)         Rx not required if you pay the full price yourself, to get it reimbursed via your  Insurance Prescription Benefit Plan or  HSA  an Rx is required.   Rx may be required if you go out of country

Your mileage may vary.   Talk to your local registered pharmacist for more details.

Cheers from J   =)