Riley's a1c and a rant with a question added in there too!

Ri had her first a1c done 6 weeks ago and it was 8.4 really not as bad as I had feared. I know her next one will be in the 7 range.

How many times a day was or is it recommended to you by your endo to test or have your children test?

I have been changing Riley's dosing majorly over the past few weeks. Her numbers have been going down great. I attribute this to testing more often and watching for those patterns. So I know what changes need to be made. Lower BG to me = a lower a1c but I was told today that research shows more frequent BG testing does NOT improve a a1c!! I do not get that of believe that. I do not believe that tighter control which is because of more testing has nothing to do with it. I am flustered by this.

Also I was told that the fast acting should NOT drop BG by more than 40 points over night.

How many points a night were you told was a ok drop?

The new doc not a endo mind you told me she needed more long lasting insulin but when I give her more she drops more than 40 points and sometimes low. SHe has been having spikes in the early morning hours. So he said she can afford to drop more than 40 points at night. Now to my understanding this is not how fast acting should work. Would you agree with my last statement or have I been grossly misinformed from the people at the hospital and my own online reading/research?

I don't know who this endo is, but I have always heard the opposite on both accounts as well. I do not see how more testing will not help lower you A1C, unless the endo is arguing that its not just about testing but also action based on the results. Either way, testing is only a good thing, so I wouldn't listen to that. Also, as far as I know, you should be striving for zero drop in BG over night (and zero rise as well of course). Shouldn't your fasting BG remain the same over any course of time? At least that is what I am familiar with. I am usually around 120 when I go to sleep, and if I dropped to 80 overnight I would be very worried. What if it is 50 or 60 the next night? 

He is not a endo forgot that part but even the people from the hospital who trained us said she didnt need more than 200 test strips a month which is just stupid to me. He tho is trying to help us until a endo will take her on here. There isnt a pedi endo in town and the adult endos dont want a pedi case so I am searching for one or have to deal with him. We cant travel out of town for well anything. Yes steady is best but if it is more than 40 points its to much long lasting. Sadly tho puberty is messing with Ri and if I dont bump up the long lasting during her hormonal cycle her fast acting does almost nothing for her. I gave her a 3 unit correction f before bed last night and it didnt touch her BG she was the same number 3 hours after it. Then a 2 unit correction this morning and it lowered it very little. If I bump up her levemir tho her fast acting seems to work as it should.

oh and she will jump a 100 points or more from 2 a.m to 4 a.m. if I correct normally she will wake up close to in range if I dont I have a harder time getting her numbers to in range until dinner time.

My target overnight is 130.  Ideally she should remain stable at her target throughout the night and not drop at all.  Although obviously reality is much different.  She should only be dropping 40 points if she is high before bedtime and falling back to her target range...If you know her tendencies to rise, I would correct normally so that she is closer to in range when waking up.  I'm not sure I really answered your questions but hopefully this clarifies.

I test 6-10 times a day on average, which is consistent with what my endo says.  When I was on shots, I tested only 4-6 times a day, but I wasn't on fast-acting and Lantus or Levemir.  I used NPH and R and other things.  In my opinion, you and Riley should decide how many times she needs to test on a given day...It isn't right for anyone to limit your testing if there is good reason for it.  

[quote user="Katie"]

My target overnight is 130.  Ideally she should remain stable at her target throughout the night and not drop at all.  Although obviously reality is much different.  She should only be dropping 40 points if she is high before bedtime and falling back to her target range...If you know her tendencies to rise, I would correct normally so that she is closer to in range when waking up.  I'm not sure I really answered your questions but hopefully this clarifies.

[/quote]

I do correct like last night she was 304ish and 3 hours after her 3 unit correction she was 303ish it did nothing for her at all. So she is staying steady lol oi my head hurts when she gets hormonal she tends to be insulin resistant which is normal for puberty but grr for me and trying to get her numbers in range.

Her 7 day average is 185 her 14 day 176 there is no reason for that other than puberty and high numbers. even her 30 day is 189. A few days ago her 7 day was 152.

So yeah not listening to the doc and just going to do what I know is helping. I am sure even with no endo I know more about d and t-1 than he does.

Is she getting enough long acting insulin?

[quote user="Jessica "]

I do correct like last night she was 304ish and 3 hours after her 3 unit correction she was 303ish it did nothing for her at all. So she is staying steady lol oi my head hurts when she gets hormonal she tends to be insulin resistant which is normal for puberty but grr for me and trying to get her numbers in range.

[/quote]

Do you ever check 1-1.5 hrs after giving a correction? Maybe the fast acting is not lasting for 3 hours and she is going down and then back up. Only way to find out is to test - so Yay for more test strips! (Let's assume that your insurance will cover).  I hope you can get in to an endo soon. Can you even go to an endo out of town once per year? Maybe they would do phone or video conf. with you at other time points? I just think they would know how to handle this instead of you figuring it out on your own. I know all the issues with your sons and maybe insurance make it tough. Just wondering. Good luck Jessica, you are doing a great job.

I don't have answers for you, but I was just remembering to your first posts - how frustrated you were on a fixed diet, how you didn't know how to change her dosing for anything. 

It's incredible how much you've learned (and also a little sad. we shouldn't have to learn how to be pancreases.) I just wanted to say that I am impressed and I admire your hard work. Keep it up. Sorry I don't have answers. 

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

[quote user="Jessica "]

[/quote]

Do you ever check 1-1.5 hrs after giving a correction? Maybe the fast acting is not lasting for 3 hours and she is going down and then back up. Only way to find out is to test - so Yay for more test strips! (Let's assume that your insurance will cover).  I hope you can get in to an endo soon. Can you even go to an endo out of town once per year? Maybe they would do phone or video conf. with you at other time points? I just think they would know how to handle this instead of you figuring it out on your own. I know all the issues with your sons and maybe insurance make it tough. Just wondering. Good luck Jessica, you are doing a great job.

[/quote]

I use to do it every 2 hours then started testing every 3 and she normally goes down more between the 2-3 hour than I thought sometimes a little but often a lot. So yeah its lasting 3 hours and  she does a random test often enough for me to tell. Its just the puberty.

Thanks Ajax. I remind myself and others all the time I am a mom not a pancreas. I have come a long way and while frustrated that puberty has messed ME up I will figure out something that works for her.