Pump getting closer

Just got a call from Animas that Matthews Ping was approved by insurance and ready to ship. They left a message on my phone and when I called back (just 45 minutes later) I got a voice mail. My guess is rep has gone for the new years holiday. My next chance to reach him will be monday.

The insurance part is always the one that you worry about but it actually went faster for approval than any of the other steps so far.

The pump color chosen was Black - I hate the color but I am not the one wearing it . . . I liked the blue - it would have matched my eyes lol.

Nice congrats for it being approved and for you son getting it soon! I would go with black to cause it matches everything lol.

Haha. Brandan won't tell me if he wants blue or silver. I told him if I have to choose it's gonna be blue 'cause it matches his eyes. :)

Riley the girl who refuses pumps and robot parts is stuck between the black pink and blue. lol After reading this post we looked it up and then the skins and she got all into that. Then later she said she wanted one but I would have to give her sleeping pills or bring her to the doctor every time it needed to be changed lol. She is getting sick of the shots already.

Leeann's pump has been approved too!  Now we just wait for it.  I'm not sure how long.  Congrats for your son!

I hope its a matter of just shipping. Then we have the lag time between arrival and whenever the endo has open time for the programming etc. But at least the insurance part is over.  They have 6 colors and he chose BLACK - must be the age - black t-shirts, jeans etc. Congrats on Leeann's pump - which one did she choose??

It doesn't take long to get tired of the shots - that is what was so good about diabetes camp. When Matthew went about 80% had pumps and he was unusual because he was not wearing one. He got to ask a lot of questions about them and came back saying he was ready.

Yeah I looked up camps and there are not any in this state so boo to that. I know their are a few diabetic kids at the kids school. I hope at least one has a pump so she can maybe get use to the idea.

Jessica, there actually are two diabetic camps that i know of in Colorado. One put on by the ADA, and one by the Poudre Valley Hospital. Camp Sweet Pea is for kids 5-10. Its in Ft Collins and its a 2 day camp. The ADA camp I ccan't find right now, but its a week in the mountains. It'll show up probably by March or April.

[quote user="Janna"]

Jessica, there actually are two diabetic camps that i know of in Colorado. One put on by the ADA, and one by the Poudre Valley Hospital. Camp Sweet Pea is for kids 5-10. Its in Ft Collins and its a 2 day camp. The ADA camp I ccan't find right now, but its a week in the mountains. It'll show up probably by March or April.

[/quote]

See I found the ADA one but every link to it was disabled. So I figured there wasnt one anymore. There was one in the springs too that was like that as well. I was bummed. Not that I really think she would go unless she could bring me with her she is very shy but I wanted it as a option to her if she decided she wanted to do something like that.

congrats on his pump approval. i was againest the pump for the first year of me being diabetic. now 2 1/2 years later, i am a proud pumper. january 8th will be 3 months of being on the medtronic paradigm 722. its blue because blue is my favorite color.

Matthew had only been diagnosed with T1 for about a month when camp came about. He could think of a hundred reasons not to go - being new, feeling awkward and just feeling different.  The diabetes camp in Missouri is like many in other states - they find a location - sometimes its an existing YMCA camp, or nice church retreat etc but usually one with a lake if possible, swimming pool and all the other fun things you can do at a camp. They take it over for a week in the summer and that is the diabetes camp. Many times it is in the same place year after year.

What I remember about the camp Matthew went to was how welcoming it felt. They did a day when you could meet the staff etc prior to actual camp. We showed up and there were about 20 kids playing kick ball and other games with the staff. That was the first time we saw kids with pumps. 

We left Matthew with those kids and went inside where we spent about 1/2 hour listening to the endo talk, etc. Then we took a tour of the facility - by that time Matthew had already found a buddy - a camper who was going for their 3rd year.

When we drop him off for the regular camp (about a month later ) he recognized about 6 kids he know from the orientation session I just mentioned. We did the check in and he headed out to his room.  We said good bye and we felt so comfortable to have a place where he could go and where we could feel at ease.    

Kids are pretty durable - if the staff knows someone is unusually shy they work hard to make sure they feel welcome and just hold their hands until they are comfortable.  When Matthew went away to scout camp after diagnosis (in the woods) my wife stayed in a nearby hotel. After the first day she felt comfortable enough to leave him for the week. 

Well, spring and summer are a long way away so you have time to read up and decide. It is nice to have that as an option just to break up the year for both of you.