Camp

My Daughter was diagnosed January 17, 2008.  She is doing really well.  I signed her up for a Diabetes Camp and she is suppose to leave this coming Sunday, 8/2/2009. I am sooo nervous...She has never been away from me for more than a couple of nights, even before she was diagnosed.  I know she will be well cared for I am just worried about if she would need me during the night. She will be a couple of hours away.  Anyone have suggestions on how to relax???

Thanks!

My daughter LOVED camp! This was her first year. She told me that it was great, and that they all missed Mom first when they left, but she was so busy, I didn't even get a letter home, even though I sent self addressed stamped envelopes. Rest assured, they WILL call you if something goes wrong, which more than likely it won't.

One of the things that a lot of the adults told me to do was to turn off the 2 am alarm, and sleep through the night! I enjoyed that!

I made plans with some friends about a week ahead of time, and made myself a list of stuff to do while she was gone (does cleaning the gutters out count as a distraction?). Go out for dinner one night, and then fumble for the carb king book, and realize you don't need it :-), go to the movies, and do what I did, go to DQ and get a blizzard (my daughter dosen't like to go to DQ right now, says she dosen't want to take that much insulin for a Blizzard, so I stopped going too!)

Get on Juvenation and chat, read up on what everyone else is saying, and RELAX!

As a funny story, on the Monday of camp, I woke up, walked into my living room and saw Hannah's "kit" she carries around, and panicked "OMG She dosen't have her kit with her! Then I really woke up and realized she didn't need it. She told me when she got home that she caught herself looking for it at camp several times, because she is so used to carrying it with her at all times! She also told me that she did start to go low one night, and they told her the next morning that she drank a can of OJ while she was still asleep!

Hi Melanie~

Thank-you so much for responding!  I know she will have a great time.  And yes, you are right I will have to find stuff to do which will not be hard at all!! Other than housework of course :) How old is your Daughter?  What state are you guys from?

Thank so much again.

~Jill

Hi Jill

My daughter is 10 1/2. She was dx 8/22/08 at 9 1/2. We live in Berrien County Michigan (Benton Harbor, but spend most of our time in Stevensville/St. Joe) we are directly across Lake Michigan from Chicago.

Right now, she is on vacation with my parents and my youngest niece in Missouri, and loving it. I have had to cope for 3 weeks (2 camps and a vacation) without her.  I am spending a LOT of time here on Juvenation, and doing pump research. We go for our first pump class on 8/5. I can't wait! She is soooo excited about going on a pump, all of her T1 friends (we met from school and support group) are all on pumps now, she is the last one to start, by about a month.  Is your daughter on a pump yet?

Which camp is she going to? Hannah went to Camp Midicha, and when I picked her up, she told me that she HAS to go again next year, she had soooo much fun (and had her first slow dance with a boy..... I am not ready for that). If your camp's packing list didn't have a nicer outfit listed for a dance, I would STRONGLY recommend packing one, as I have heard most camps have an end of the week dance, and most of the kids do a casual dressy for it. Camp Midicha didn't have that on the list, and Hannah was upset she didn't have anything that was a bit nicer than everyday camp clothes to wear.

I look fowards to chatting with you in the future!

Hi Jill!  My 7 yr old daughter just went to camp for the first time in July (2 weeks ago).  She loved it!  She did miss home, but still had a great time!  They keep them sooo busy!  Her cabin had 13 girls and 2 nurses and 5 camp counselors.  It was really neat...most of the counselors had been going to camp since they were my daughters age.  I felt really safe about leaving her.  I could tell she was nervous but, she put her brave face on and told us goodbye.   My daughter has never spent more than 1 night away from home and that was with my parents and my sister-in-law.  The staff checked the girls at midnight and 3am every night.

Enjoy the break and know she is in great hands and will have a GREAT time! I am so glad she went and will have these memories to look back on!  She even learned how to give herself shots and draw up her insulin. 

Stacy

Hi Stacy~

Thanks for responding! That's great to know.  I am glad your Daughter had a great time!  Jensyn is acting very excited about it now but I think too when she gets up there and it's time for us to leave she will be a little nervous.  We have heard nothing but great things about these camps so I am sure it will be a great experience for her.  Like Melanie had said I will just have to find lots of things to do to keep myself occupied which will not be hard to do and I have a 14 year old Daughter at home as well that will keep me busy I'm sure :)

Thanks much!

~Jill

We were too late to get our son into the summer sessions after his dx, but I just signed us up for the family camp in October.  But, what a great opportunity for kids with T1 to be able to be "independent" from mom and dad for a while, and still be in a safe, well-supervised environment.  Mom, be sure to schedule some intensive Me Time while you've got a break :)

Mo

Our Son was diagnosed July 24, 2008 at the age of 11.  He went to Diabetes Camp this summer for the first time.  It was the best thing for the both of us.  It was a vaction for me.  I didn't worry at all. I worried more if he was having fun.

Hang in there... take long hot baths; go to a movie; watch the movies you never get a chance too...

Hi there - I would love to hear more about your son's camp experience.  I have a 12-yr. old son who's endo has encouraged him to go to camp but he is hesitant to go without knowing anyone.  We signed up for family camp in 2007, which was the last year we could go with him.  Unfortunately, they had a flu outbreak and had to shut the camp down.  Did your son go with other kids his age that he knew or did he just wing it and make friends once he got there?  Thanks for any info. you can share. 

Also, as a parent of an adolescent, how are you handling the mood swings and behavior changes that come with this age.  I have  a hard time deciphering how much is normal adolescent behavior (he's my first) and how much is actually related to his diabetes.  He was diagnosed Nov. 2005 but I still don't have a good handle on just how much the lows/highs affect his moods. 

Thanks, Caroline (Oregon)

Hi Everyone!

So Jensyn is off at camp. Everything went well when I dropped her off.  I could tell she was a little nervous but she didn't cry or didn't want me to leave.  I handled it well and than had a breakdown in the car :(  I just dropped her off yesterday at 3:00 and I miss her soooo much already!  But I am taking advise from all of you and I am going to try to relax!

I hope she is having a great time!  From reading your posts how can she not be, right?

Thanks much!

~Jill

[quote user="dmansmom"]

Also, as a parent of an adolescent, how are you handling the mood swings and behavior changes that come with this age.  I have  a hard time deciphering how much is normal adolescent behavior (he's my first) and how much is actually related to his diabetes.  He was diagnosed Nov. 2005 but I still don't have a good handle on just how much the lows/highs affect his moods. 

Thanks, Caroline (Oregon)

[/quote]

Hey, Caroline,

I have similar questions about our 8-year old son.  How much is "normal developmental stage" boy behavior, how much is triggered by his auditory issues, and how much is caused by his adjustment to living with T1?  I've kind of had to put all the labels aside and try to deal with what's in front of me at that particular moment, realizing I have to take him as a whole on a moment-by-moment basis, regardless of what may be "influencing" his behaviour or responses at any particular time.  Arent' we all just a blending of influences and responses, anyway? :)

If you haven't already, you may want to pick up Michael Gurian's "The Wonder of Boys" for some insight into the wonderous world of boys.  My copy is so dog-eared, hightlighted and annotated, I can hardly read the original text in places.  But, it keeps reminding me over and over and over THEY are boys, and I am not :)

Mo

Jill,

Just wanting to do a "check up"! It is Tuesday, are you doing ok? I bet your daughter is having a blast right now! Have you found anything to do yet? Before you know it, it will be time to go pick her up from camp, and I bet you are going to get a BIG hug, and an "I want to come back next year".

Have a wonderful week!

Melanie

Hi Melanie~

Thanks so much for asking! I am doing ok.  I miss her a lot!  Lets see I worked yesterday and came home and cleaned the house. Today I am working and than me and my older Daughter are going to the mall. Tomorrow, working and than going to dinner.  So keeping busy trying to make the week go by a little quicker :)

I am hoping she is having a blast! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!

Chat with you soon!

~Jill