Pump and traveling. Help!

I'm thing about getting the pump because not only my scheduled in collage but for traveling.

I'm scared that what if sertaint places I can't go because I have a pump or insulent

- can I go to water parks, beaches, scuba diving,going on cruise, or anything with the pump

- the disadvantege

-and  wearing clothes like dress, kimonos 

[quote user="TravelLover"]

I'm thing about getting the pump because not only my scheduled in collage but for traveling.

I'm scared that what if sertaint places I can't go because I have a pump or insulent

- can I go to water parks, beaches, scuba diving,going on cruise, or anything with the pump

- the disadvantege

-and  wearing clothes like dress, kimonos 

[/quote]

Water parks, Beaches, Scuba Diving, Cruise, yes because if you are going to get wet you can take it off Cruise if you get wet yes if not leave it on

Dress if you stick your pump in your bra you cant really see it so yes :)

Disadvantages none that i can really think of

The Animas Ping pump is water proof. A pump will not keep you from going anywhere that I can think of. 

Scuba diving can be a problem any diabetics from what I have read.

I travel a lot with my pump and have even been to countries such as Mexico and the Philippines where the pump is not as common.  I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I always carry a note from my doctor that says it is a medical necessity, although no one has ever asked to see the note thus far. 

I have gone to water parks, beaches, cruises, and snorkeling w/my pump.  I have a waterproof sport case for my pump that allows me to stay attached while in the water.  A lot of times, I will disconnect my pump while participating in water activities though and just make sure I have some kind of waterproof cooler to keep my pump dry and out of the sun.  However, I don't think that as diabetics we are allowed to go scuba diving.  It's not because they are discriminating against us, it's more of a health precautionary.  If we have a low while scuba diving, we may not be able to surface fast and safely enough to get the treatment we need to correct it, so they would rather not chance it, that sort of thing.

The disadvantage about traveling with a pump is that sometimes it may take you a little longer to go through security, especially in airports that are not as experienced with insulin pumps.  I have been able to pass through security without being "frisked", but I have also had to go through security with a full pat-down and swabbing. 

As for wearing clothes, it can be challenging if you don't have pockets, but yes, I have clipped my pump on to the front of my bra just between my cleavage and have been able to wear form fitted dresses that way.  There are also accessories like arm/leg bands that velcro around your arm or leg and have a pocket attached to it so you can slide your pump into it and hide it under your clothes.  Or you can make your own little pocket for your pump and then attach it inside your clothes with a safety pin.  

Thank you so much :D

I'm going to Japan and France some time later next year or so and I was thinking if i'm better off with just the shots or just get the pump, but I think I should stay with the shots, because I don't wanna make it a hassle or a bother to everyone because security is trying to pat me down and checking to make sure I have nothing dangerous, is worst enough if we where late for our fight before I was diagnose with this and to really adding on to that will be too much, even though I know with the pump i'm more freere to to eat whater I want and not think "ok so from the looks of it is 4 units" but how will they feel if I take my shots with me too?

*sigh* I miss being non-diabetic  :(

I've traveled a lot, backpacked, and did an extensive kayaking trip with my pump.  No problems.  The only issue that you've raised that could cause a problem is snorkeling or scuba diving.  I've never scuba dived, but when snorkeling just detached my pump. 

I've worn my pump with my wedding dress, bathing suits and different Halloween costumes.  You can always find somewhere to tuck or clip it.  The only way you'd have a problem is if you're an exotic dancer or swimsuit model. =)

Has anyone mentioned roller coasters?  I know the ping user manual has a WARNING about certain types of roller coasters.  So I disconnect, my wife holds the pump while I ride with my daughter.  The problem here being that my wife doesn't get to ride with us.   

I travel all the time with my pump, it rarely causes me any problems. You shouldn't go through the airport metal detector with your pump on, since it could mess up the programming.... I have a note from my doctor that explains what it is, and even if they search you a little longer, just make sure you get to the airport early! I imagine traveling with a bag of syringes can't be all that much different. Good Luck!

As to roller coasters... I have never heard of a warning, although I can imagine that if you are going upside down, the chances of your pump coming off and dropping into the "blue lagoon" are significantly increased. I have never taken my pump off on a roller coaster, but I do double and triple check that it is well hooked onto me before "take-off"