Protein in the urine :-/

Hey long time no see everyone :)

I've been worried lately about all the highs I've been having and when I last went for blood work I had a micro-albumen done and it came back positive for protein.  I didnt know until now that if the urine is bubbly that that is a sign of protein in the urine...but anyway now that I know that I've been noticing when this does happen.  I think I've had this type of thing off and on for a while even before I was diabetic.

First question, who here has been put on kidney protecting meds and whats your experience with them? (I've already got slightly lower blood pressure and poor circulation so the thought of the meds doesn't really sound too appealing because I've heard it is a type of blood pressure lowering medication)

Second question, What causes this protein in the urine? (I know high numbers but my last a1c was 6.2 so I'm a little confused)

Third question, are there any other non medication ways to protect the kidneys or prevent protein in the urine?

Fourth and most important, why the phuck don't we have a cure for this disease yet? :(

hey, dude. try not to worry about it too much (i know that's much easier said than done). i've been on enalapril (ace inhibitor) for 12 years. my kidney function is perfect every time i see the nephrologist. i've never had any side effects from the medication and take the lowest possible dose (5 mg). i, too, have a tendency to rest on the lower side of the BP scale, but the meds have never bothered it any. i started on the pills when i was 14 at the first signs of kidney disease - the monitored me very closely for about the first 6 years, then backed off to only one a year. all the damage to my kidneys has been reversed. 

while high blood sugars is one cause of kidney damage, sometimes there isn't a "good" reason why a diabetic develops complications. occasionally, it's just living with the disease for an extended period of time. if you think about it, non-diabetics have a tendency to run between 70-110 mg/dL. so a "high" blood sugar could technically be anything above 110 (though most of us don't think of it that way). i have the feeling that some people's kidneys may just be more/less sensitive to the BG swings than others. 

spilling protein in the urine can also just be a temporary thing. a lot of people go into ARF (acute renal failure) during an illness. this sounds a lot more serious than it actually is. it just means while the person is ill, their kidneys aren't filtering to the best of their ability. again, this is only temporary and the kidneys will recover shortly after the illness is gone. is it possible you were in the "recovery" period when you had your test done?

i know that's not the best explanation, but i hope you know you aren't struggling alone with this. if your doctor doesn't seem to be worried about it, i would also not be worried. doctors know best and they will continue to recheck you and keep track of your kidney tests. good luck to you. please feel free to send me a message sometime if you want to. i know you know how to reach me. ;o)

Hey Greg-

Like C, I also take enalapril, and have for a long time, like 10 or 15 years, not really sure.  I'm on the 10mg dose, and my blood pressure is always pretty low too, even without the drugs.  The really awesome blood pressure is the only side effect  I've noticed.  I can get a little light headed and dizzy if I stand up too quickly from sitting or bending over, but it passes really fast.  Other than that, no complaints.

And sorry, I don't have answers to your other questions.  Maybe talk to your endo about your concerns, or I even saw a nephrologist for a little while (kidney doc) when I first started spilling the protein.  Good luck!

Hey bud,

I like you, recently tested positive for protein in my urine. I was told a few things, and some of them contradicted each other so I don't really know what is true and what isn't. I know that protein is a signal of kidney problems. However, I was also told that between the ages of around 13- 25 or so, people will occasionally read trace amounts of protein. I was told that sometimes this can be triggered by lots of exercise prior to peeing in a cup. 

I was put on an ace inhibitor as well, even without BP problems. This kind of freaked me out and got me to take better control of my D. However, I was on such a low dose that it really shouldn't have.

Anyways, my best advice for you is to treat this as a sign that you should improve your BG levels. If you are already doing a good job, then try not to worry too much. My other bit of advice, is to set another appointment in a few months or so, and see if protein is still present in your urine. I hope this helps and wish you the best.

I was put on Lisinopril around a year or so ago because of the same problem. I'm on 2.5 mg, which is the lowest dose for this medication. My BP was low-normal before starting it, but I haven't had any problems so far and the labs have all come back perfect since starting on it. I was told that I'd be on it forever, so that kinda sucks, but it's cheap and I only take it once a day, so I guess it's not that bad.

Is 2.5mg normal to start? What have docs told you?

I also had protein in urine and was told that was to be expected after having D 25 years.  It was scary, but like others I was put on 5mg of Lisinopril (ACE inhibitor) and have had no problems for the last 8 years. 

Since it makes me dizzy I take it at night before going to bed.  

Women also need to be aware that it can cause birth defects, so they need to stop taking ACE inhibitors if they're trying to get pregnant or are expecting.   

I've been taking Altace at 10mg for 3 years but now that I am pregnant I have stopped. I hope during the pregnancy there is not too much damage to my kidneys and they will be able to function well enough for the baby. I'm only 7 weeks so I don't want to get ahead of myself!

You should be totally fine.  Kidney disease progresses slowly, so it's not like it will just happen overnight during your pregnancy. 

When I was expecting I was taken off Lisinopril but given another kidney protecting drug... can't remember what it's called, but ask your endo or OBGYN if there's an alternative. 

My son is 5 now.  I still have no kidney problems and my son is completely healthy.  I'd always been afraid to be pregnant as a diabetic, but learned that with insulin pumps, modern insulin, ultrasounds, etc. there's absolutely no reason why you can't have a completely healthy pregnancy.  Congratulations on your baby-to-be! 

Thanks! I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I guess the high risk ob/gyn might eventually prescribe me something else. My kidney function is still normal, it's just the excess protein that's a problem. Hopefully if I keep my readings under control it won't progress. I am glad to hear that everything went well for you, I need to keep hearing good stories! =)

[quote user="Greg Borkman"]

Is 2.5mg normal to start? What have docs told you?

[/quote]

I'm not sure if that is a normal dose to start at or if it depends on the amount of damage to the kidneys. Sorry, I'm not much of a help!

[quote user="Kelly Jones"]

Thanks! I am going to the doctor tomorrow. I guess the high risk ob/gyn might eventually prescribe me something else. My kidney function is still normal, it's just the excess protein that's a problem. Hopefully if I keep my readings under control it won't progress. I am glad to hear that everything went well for you, I need to keep hearing good stories! =)

[/quote]

As a type 1 diabetic, your pregnancy is considered high risk no matter how well controlled you are. Make sure your OB GYN is someone you like who has a modern understanding of type 1 treatments.  Mine wasn't experienced with type 1 moms, but got information from colleagues and trusted my experience in managing my own care. 

And lots of people will ask if you've seen Steele Magnolias and look at you with concern... just know these are the same people who don't understand that you can eat a cookie, or play sports even though you have "sugar diabetes."  =)

Thanks for the advice! I have not seen Steel Magnolias, and I don't think I should until maybe way after the baby is born. I am 7 weeks now and today I had the ultrasound and I could see him/her and hear the heartbeat! It was pretty exciting so I hope all goes well from here! I think my ob/gyn is pretty competent and my endocrinologist recommended the high risk ob/gyn to me who I like also so I think everything will go smoothly...I hope!

[quote user="jessicola"]I can get a little light headed and dizzy if I stand up too quickly from sitting or bending over, but it passes really fast.[/quote]

I was reading this forum, and just noticed this line.  This happens to me quite often...is this a symptom of something?  I think you were referring to this as a side effect of the drugs you are taking (I'm not taking anything other than insulin), but I just wanted to check.  Thanks!

It's a sign of low blood pressure. 

I am on kidney protecting meds.....I have high blood pressure....I am on ace inhibitors and a water pill.  I see a nephrologist.  Your endo should refer you to one, especially if you have protein in your urine.  The way it was explained to me was that when your kidneys work to clean your blood, if there is too much sugar in your blood stream, protein spills over into your urine.  Basically your kidneys are being overworked.  They are working overtime when your blood sugars run high.  If I were you, I would talk to your endo and ask him/her to refer you to a nephrologist.  This is exactly what happened to me.  I am sure there is something that can be prescribed or suggested if you already have low blood pressure.  Seems odd that your blood pressure is low if your kidneys are working so hard.....but again, I am not a doctor! Since I have been on these meds....I am extremely exhausted.  Don't know if it's from themeds or not though.  Hope this helps!  Good Luck......Sorry, wish I had an answer to the fourth question!!!

Just wanted to point out that you have no need to change your diet regarding kidney disease until you approach pre-dialysis stage. Then they will tell you what things to change. Prior to that, you can continue consuming normal foods with no worries. They won't cause damage (though excess intake of salt can increase blood pressure). Eat normally and enjoy every bite of it :o)

[quote user="Brianna"]

[quote user="jessicola"]I can get a little light headed and dizzy if I stand up too quickly from sitting or bending over, but it passes really fast.[/quote]

I was reading this forum, and just noticed this line.  This happens to me quite often...is this a symptom of something?  I think you were referring to this as a side effect of the drugs you are taking (I'm not taking anything other than insulin), but I just wanted to check.  Thanks!

[/quote]

Brianna-

C beat me to it!  But yes, it's just due to my amazingly awesome low blood pressure because of the enalapril.  At least I don't pass out!  ;)

I'm no doctor, but I'll tell you what this sounds like. It's called orthostatic hypotension, which is a fancy way of saying that your blood pressure temporarily drops very low when you go from laying down or sittng to standing up very quickly. It's very common and it doesn't mean anything is wrong with you. It's actually very common. It's rare for it to happen to me (I'm on Lisinopril for my kidneys, so I have low BP), but sometimes I actually black out for a few seconds, but after that, I'm fine. It's not like I pass out or anything, my vision just blacks out. Hope this helps you!

Hi Erica,

I don't know how old you are or what your life circumstances are, but please know that ACE inhibitors are NOT FOR PREGNANCY!  They cause terrible damage to the developing fetus.  I started on an ACE inhibitor when I was about 20.  My endo at the time convinced me to take it to protect my kidneys (I had a history of a small amount of microalbumin) before pregnancy and breastfeeding.  I did it, and my urine and blood protein levels have been in the normal range.  I am now pregnant with twins, and I stopped taking the ACE inhibitor a couple months before we started trying to have a baby (you need to leave enough time to get the medicine completely) out of your system.  Just FYI for all females taking ACE inhibitors!