Proteinuria

I got a call from my doctor's office today and my doctor is concerned because my labwork showed 1+ protein in the urinalysis.  He said he wants to conduct a 24-hour urine exam to rule out the early stages of renal disease. I AM FREAKING OUT!!! I don't know if there could be other reasons for proteinuria (possibly physical activity--I have started running about 1.5-2 miles 4-5 days a week??) My A1c was 7.8 which isn't spectacular and I've been working on that but I didn't think it was bad enough to cause renal disease.  I don't feel that I have let my diabetes get that out of control.  I have had diabetes for about 7 1/2 years now.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

I had to do that a few years back and it ended up being fine. There are a lot of things that can cause you to have some proteins in your urine, but since diabetes can result in renal problems your doctor is mostlikely just taking extra percautions to make sure he doesn't miss anything. Try not to stress too much over it.

-Rosemary

Yes I have had the same experience a couple of times. If you have your period that can cause it. sometimes you just get a protein spill into your urine and the next test comes out fine. I wouldn't worry too hard. He just scared you because he said renal disease. I doubt that you have the early stages of kidney disease. The first time it happened to me i think was about at the 7 yr mark as well. Seriously dont worry.

I am going through the same thing right now. I had bloodwork done last month and a urine test as well and it showed that my creatinine level was elevated so my doc put me on Lisinopryl to prevent kidney disease.Believe me I am scared too but I hear that it is pretty normal for us D's for this to happen and it hopefully will clear up for both of us. Did your endo put you on any different meds for this?

I freaked out too when my endo informed me of the same thing a few months ago when my A1C was not too bad. I knew the reason right away. I was taking whey proteins and hitting the gym. I told the endo I would take another test in a few days, and start meds if the test turned out to be positive again, and I stopped my protein supplement intake. And I was fine in the tests a month later. You might want to watch how much protein you are consuming.