Preschool, feeling of no support from the teaching staff

Hi, I myself is not T1D, but my son is T1D since he was diagnosed with T1D and DKA at 18 months old, February 14, 2016. It has been just over 2.5 years with this disease. He receives up to 7 insulin injections per day. He just started preschool in September and it has been the most difficult time allowing someone else to care for him for the two hours he is away four days out of the week. What makes it difficult is that the teachers have no idea (even after explaining our journey up now) I feel they do not get it and it seems the teachers are not fully understanding his condition. His head teacher’s father is T1D, but she doesn’t seem to understand the severity of having to how to give injections of insulin. (My husband and I decided to enroll our son in to preschool to “try out” public school, we have been planning to homeschool because his BG is so unpredictable and felt it was the best decision for our son’s health.) needless to say, I almost feel public school may not be our answer, but I love seeing him making friends! There are several children that are so interested in understanding my son’s diabetes at such a young age and many of them ask him questions and he gives them honest no filtered answers! When he meets other people with diabetes he gets so excited because they are like him!

How have you and your family felt with school issues? What made it better?

I have had some school issues in elementary. My teacher didn’t want me to do what I needed to do. My grandparents (gaurdians) went and talked to her and my friends stood by me. Maybe you need to talk to them. Or go see the school’s nurse. Hope this helps!!:wink:

(P.S. Your son is adorable!!:slight_smile:)

Thank you! I have spoken with both the nurse and teachers. I have asked the teacher if she would like me to set up extra T1D training other than me, she said only if my son was got to start eating lunch at school. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Glad I could help April! Keep me posted please.

My son was diagnosed a little over a year ago and last year was our first school year with T1D (my son is 11). This year is his first year in middle school and second school year with T1D. I will share what I have learned thus far; a 504 plan is a must and very helpful, as parents we have to do our research in more aspects than T1D but also in our children’s rights and what we can do so others they are with can abide by them. Educating yourself on how a 504 plan works, as well as the disability act laws, are great tools when dealing with the public school system as they must abide your child’s 504 plan as well as the Disability Act. Something else that in our case has been helpful is building a good relationship with the school district RN, while she is not on site with my son all day, she advocates for him with other staff at the school who care for my son. It takes time, we are still working out kinks and I am sure there will always be kinks but to your point I love seeing my son make new friends, learn new things and get to experience school the way that other kids do. Remind yourself when dealing with teachers or staff who may not know too much about T1D that you teaching them will not only benefit your son but other students they may encounter with T1D. Good luck, hope it all turns out well :slight_smile:

i agree. i have a 504 and its a lifesaver in junior high. i’m in 8th grade so i’ll be in high school next yr and i hope it helps then 2.

1 Like

And I believe your 504 also applies in College :smiley:

1 Like

Our school ( I work at my daughter’s school) has one t1d child. She is now in kindergarten but has been with us since nursery. ( It’s her third year with us) Her parents were able to get her a full time nurse who sits discreetly in class or just outside and monitor her levels throughout the day. I know it was hard for the parents, as they had to jump through many loops to get it approved but I would strongly suggest going that route until a child is able to monitor themselves.
I worked with the ecd teachers, and one of them, her husband is t1d and she is extremely familiar with the disease yet I truly don’t believe a teacher has the ability to monitor a young t1d child, while they need to educate supervise and entertain a whole class. Too many things happening all at once. ( I’m referring to a class setting, not a small group)

If he is wearing a CGM, maybe make sure the nurse or the teachers have access to receive alarms as well

He is a great ambassador, ( and a total cutie) if he is thriving at school, emotionally, and socially, I think you are doing great.