Working parents of toddler with newly diagnosed T1D

Hello community! Our 3 year old recently got diagnosed with T1D. There was a lot to take in and learn initially in terms of medical management, carbs counting and insulin administration. We understand and are able to do all that now. This is still life changing, for my toddler and for the whole family. My child went to a pre-school prior to her diagnosis. Now that school is no longer able to accommodate her with her medical condition. I just want to hear other parent’s perspectives who have been in a similar situation as us with their toddler’s T1D (since the child is not old enough to understand their condition fully and take part in their medical management). I would like to know what do parents do about their work situation? We cannot work from home. Does one parent work and the other take care of the child at home? I would like to know about the child’s school situation (as the school has to be able count carbs and administer insulin shots). Do people end up home schooling at this young age? Many of these private pre-schools don’t have nurses on site. Any input, suggestions or personal experiences would be helpful as our family tries to navigate through this.

1 Like

Hello @SoniaG welcome to Type One Nation. I’m sorry to hear about your child’s recent diagnosis. I am sure you are going through a lot. Please contact your JDRF chapter to get contacts and to network with other parents near you. As your child gets into school, public school 504 plans will be a helpful way for you to direct typical and emergency health care. As for preschool, since they are private, I’m guessing it can be harder. I’m sorry I don’t have more useful information for you.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @SoniaG ! I’m glad to hear you’re adjusting well.
I’m not a parent - I was the child diagnosed at age 3, and have nearly 60 years with Type1 under my belt: we had no technology back then so going to school - including private school - was much simpler. Hopefully you will get some helpful resources in your area from your local JDRF chapter, and first-hand suggestions and recommendations from parents here.
504 plans were developed after I was out of college and I’ve never had to use one so only know a little about them. But as your daughter gets older and is able to manage her diabetes on her own, private school might be an option if it’s not one now.
All the best to you!

1 Like