Positive Test!

I got a positive test this morning!!! When should I contact my doctor? I heard some women wait a little while, but with me being diabetic I'm guessing I should probably let them know soon. As far as my charts go, I am only 8DPO, so it's still pretty early.

You should call your doctors right away. Your endocrinologist will want to see your latest numbers and make adjustments if need be as soon as possible. You will also need to be set up with a high risk ob if you are not already. Your regular ob will probably want to see you around 7 weeks. Good luck and congratulations!

Your OB will probably wait until 7-8 weeks and then do a vaginal ultrasound to confirm 'viability' (their word . . . not mine.)  basically they'll be checking for heartbeat, which starts in about week 5. 

I scheduled an appt. today for March 25th. I don't know how I can wait that long!!!

Congratulations!!

I also had to wait until around 8 weeks to see the MFM (high risk OB doc) too, but I'd advise at least a phone call or email with your endo right away. S/he may want to see you sooner. It really depends on the endo and who else is involved in your care, but most endos will want to see you every 2-4 weeks. I'd had diabetes since age 4 when I got pregnant, but still needed help in managing my insulin doses b/c the pregnancy situation was new for me...

I hope you have a great pregnancy. (:

P.S. I just saw you're in VA. Where do you live? Let me know if you need hospital recs if you're in NoVA...

I am going to UVA. It's about an hours drive from my house, but the endocrinology department there has been great with me! My doctor is an OBGYN & an endo. She is also a type 1 herself and wears an insulin pump. At your 8 week appt. did they give you an ultra sound? I started getting positives, and I mean dark positives at 8DPO, which obviously makes me think my hCG levels are high. All of my family is saying "You're having twins!" LOL We'll see...

I am glad to see there are other type 1's in Virginia though! I have only met just a couple since being diagnosed.

Also, I have heard so much about low blood sugars in the beginning. Maybe that will happen with time, but I have yet to experience it. I have to check my numbers like 6-8 times a day. If I don't watch it they will creep up to around 200. I seem to be taking MORE insulin right now. Not less...

You are in the same boat I am in.  I just posted about my glucose reading.  I am testing between 8-10 times a day, and have been told if my reading are "jumping" they are going to have me test at 3 AM.

Congradulations!  I found out Saturday the 26!  My first appt is March 18.  I hope to hear more from everyone.  I am so glad that I found this site!!

Awesome! Welcome to the club! This Sunday I should be 5 weeks pregnant (if I'm adding it up correctly). And I'm still having pretty high numbers. My fasting number this morning was 174! And when I went to bed last night it was 122 so I can't see how it went up like that. I am so annoyed with my numbers. More than anything I'm annoyed that I can't get in to see a doctor until the end of this month. I was talking with some of my friends who are non-diabetic and not even high risk and they were telling me how they got in at like 5 or 6 weeks and some of them even had ultrasounds.

[quote user="RachelEmily25"]

Awesome! Welcome to the club! This Sunday I should be 5 weeks pregnant (if I'm adding it up correctly). And I'm still having pretty high numbers. My fasting number this morning was 174! And when I went to bed last night it was 122 so I can't see how it went up like that. I am so annoyed with my numbers. More than anything I'm annoyed that I can't get in to see a doctor until the end of this month. I was talking with some of my friends who are non-diabetic and not even high risk and they were telling me how they got in at like 5 or 6 weeks and some of them even had ultrasounds.

[/quote]

RachelEmily, when I was pregnant, my endo told me that morning insulin resistance (already common) tends to be even worse during pregnancy. If you're on a pump, you might want to talk to the endo about raising your basals in the morning.

Good luck at your dr's appt!

RachelEmily25-

Although I did not get into my doctor until the 18, I had to start sending glucose readings Wednesday.  (I called on Monday).  Maybe you should call the Doctor back and ask about glucose readings, or if a nurse handled diabetic patients in the in between times.  I have a several different nurses I can call depending on what my "problem" is.