Please Help-- BG Problems

Hey everyone,

I've not been doing so well lately... just went to the endo yesterday and my a1c is 8.4-- the highest it's ever been in my four years as a diabetic. I don't know why. My habits haven't lapsed at all, but my numbers have been higher overall.

I started Lysine supplements a few weeks ago because I get mouth ulcers, and that's supposed to make them heal faster. Has anyone experienced high bg's because of Lysine supplements?

Does anyone have any advice for me in general? I keep getting these weird highs out of the blue. Like today, I was in the 150s-170s all day, then bam right now I'm 320. Why!?! I had a dinner tonight that previously never has negatively impacted my bg's.

These random highs are really making it hard for me to finish out my senior year on a high note. My CDE and I increased most of my basals yesterday to take care of trends where I'm increasing (overnight and afternoon-dinner) but I'm still getting highs.

Is this typical? Do you sometimes have periods of a few months where everything is higher, then the opposite happens? I'm so used to treating lows, not highs-- that was the way it used to be. Now I'm hardly ever low... but wishing I was.

Help please! Thanks so much...

Amanda

Try not to get too discouraged.  It is definitely fixable, but will require some time and effort (and patience!).  Your basals may need to be even higher, especially if you are rising into the 300's without eating anything.  As you age, and also during different times of the month, your numbers will do different things and you'll need to adjust accordingly. 

Some general 'rules' to keep in mind: no meal should raise your BG higher than 50.  If it does, it means you either need more insulin or you need to take your insulin earlier (ie. 30min) before eating.  Second, don't eat if your BG is over 130 because this will help to keep your A1c lower. 

Don't be too hard on yourself.  It's only temporary.  You're on the right track!

[quote user="spaghettio"]

Second, don't eat if your BG is over 130 because this will help to keep your A1c lower. 

[/quote]

if i followed this rule, i would rarely eat. you can still eat food - take a correction for the high as well as insulin to cover the meal/snack.

^^ What C said.  When you find you're over 130ish, take your insulin wicked early (at least 30 minutes) before eating.  That way, you hopefully have time to come down some before the food kicks in.

[quote user="Amanda"]

Does anyone have any advice for me in general? I keep getting these weird highs out of the blue. Like today, I was in the 150s-170s all day, then bam right now I'm 320. Why!?! I had a dinner tonight that previously never has negatively impacted my bg's.

These random highs are really making it hard for me to finish out my senior year on a high note.

Is this typical? Do you sometimes have periods of a few months where everything is higher, then the opposite happens? I'm so used to treating lows, not highs-- that was the way it used to be. Now I'm hardly ever low... but wishing I was.

[/quote]

hi Amanda,

okay how long have you been on a pump, what infusions system do you use, and do you kinda always use the same sites to put your sets (or pods)?

the reason I am asking is because some folks have occlusion problems with teflon cannula systems, some people put them in the same spot and develop scars that slow down the absorption of insulin.

senior year?  for me... stress means I need 2X basal rates.  are you under stress of any kind?

a change in temperature for me means a basal tweak. even though I usually have to lower my basal rates when it gets warm.... people can have all sorts of reactions to a change in weather.

hope this helps a little...

cheers

[quote user="spaghettio"]

Second, don't eat if your BG is over 130 because this will help to keep your A1c lower. 

[/quote]

WHAT? seriously?! 130mg/L is 7.2mmol/L...(that also happens to be 0.6mmol/L over my target blood sugar)..not eating if higher than 7.2/130 would mean most diabetics WOULDN'T eat on a regular basis, which would only cause their blood sugars to rise more. The longer you go without eating, the more your body releases glucose to give you energy which raises your blood sugar. You're pretty much starving yourself at that point, all for a stupid number(A1C) that is only PART of having your diabetes under control. geeeeeeeeeez. You correct + add the meal/snack dosage. If a doctor has told you anything else, they shouldn't be your doctor. There are things you should probably avoid if you're already on the high side(10/180+) but you should never NOT eat.

Amanda - your 17, which means you're still growing and your hormones are still messing with you(even if you weren't a T1, they'd still mess with your body!). it's not uncommon for that to throw your blood sugars off randomly. i also had a hard time when I was in my early/late teens due to hormones. are you on the pill by any chance? maybe that would help keep your hormones more steady? i always saw some improvement during the periods of time i was taking the pill as a teen.

also, is there a reason you need to be taking the mouth ulcer medication? generally when i get uclers(not horribly often, but often enough) I just let it heal on it's own but rise with hot water&salt a few times and place raisins on it to help it dry up(old wifes remedy). It could be effecting your sugars, but I'm sure your CDE would have told you that..

Joe,

Thanks for your reply on my other post. I'll give it a couple more days and see what happens. I'm not really under stress right now-- the school year's winding down, I'm doing great with my workload etc. But sometimes, it's a 20/20 hindsight thing-- I'll look back and say, well, I didn't think I was stressed out, but I really was. It is graduation season, however, and finals are approaching...trying to find a summer job...going to orientation soon...so there's a lot going on. I'm trying to just relax. And yes, maybe it's the weather. When all else fails, blame it on the weather, right? haha. Usually I need less insulin during the warm months, but the past few weeks the weather has been 90 degrees then 55 in the same week. Maybe my body is just freaking out because of all the temp fluctuations. Thanks for the ideas-- I'll keep a close watch the next few days and see how this plays out. If worse comes to worst, I'll try the Sure-Ts.

Batts,

That's the other thing, right? Blame it on the weather... or hormones. I am on the pill. I just started taking the Lysine because my mom read that it might help shorten the duration of the ulcers. I don't get a ton, but when I get one it's usually big and painful and lasts about 2 weeks. And I can't go 2 weeks without tomato sauce or chewing gum. I've never heard of the raisins thing. Should try that. But yeah, I stopped taking the Lysine yesterday. Maybe that will help.

[quote user="Amanda"] Do you sometimes have periods of a few months where everything is higher, then the opposite happens? I'm so used to treating lows, not highs-- that was the way it used to be. Now I'm hardly ever low... but wishing I was.

[/quote]

Yes.  I go through stages where things are really good for a month or so.  Then sometimes out of the blue, not changing anything, things go haywire.  I think it's just part of the deal.  My doctor says he's hears this a lot.  When I get into that bad trend, I fiddle with my dose some.  But most times, it will bounce back and be good again.

So I say try not to get down. Hang in with it.  It will get better if you work at it.

Thanks for the encouragement DDrummin. Luckily, it seems like after a few basal increases, things are a lot better. It's just hard not to panic sometimes :/ I just have to learn to trust that everything will work out.