Peer testimony

Hey everyone!! Since it's Diabetes Awareness Month I figured I would do a speech for my speech class about diabetes and what people can do to help raise awareness and such.  My professor suggested that I get peer testimony from people living with it.  Naturally my first thought was to post something on here so that's what I'm doing.  For those that wouldn't mind me quoting them if you could answer a few questions.

How long have you had diabetes?

How old where you when you were diagnosed?

Diabetes is a constant struggle.  How do you manage to stay on top of it and not just ignore it?

Also if you could put down if you would rather me not identify with first or last name and prefer me to just put anonymous or any other specification as to citing who said it that would be great.  Thanks in advance for your help.

[quote user="Courtney"]

Diabetes is a constant struggle.  How do you manage to stay on top of it and not just ignore it?

[/quote]

I've have diabetes for 21 years; I was diagnosed when I was 5 years old.

As you mentioned, diabetes IS a constant struggle - and there isn't a day goes by where I don't battle with myself over taking care of it. Some days are better than others; most days I win, but there are those times when I give in and diabetes wins the fight over me. Each day is a chance to start again and make things right, so I dust myself off and start fresh with my care. I can honestly say I've gotten much better about managing my D through Juvenation, Twitter, and other online D-communities where I've been able to make friends with people just like me. We all struggle, and the biggest asset to continuing on each day with hope is knowing you are not alone. There are millions of other people with diabetes out there cheering for me. It makes it a lot easier to wake up and face each day :o)

I go by "C". That's how you can quote me :o)

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

12 years, 3 1/2 years old

I have a pump and the help of my mom

Ive had diabetes a little over a year.

I was diagnosed at 26.

This past year I've definitely had my ups and my downs.  It hasn't always been easy.  What has helped me to stay on top of it and not ignore it has been my husband and Juvenation.  My husband is also a type 1 diabetic, he was diagnosed 18 years ago at age 9.  On those days when I was really frustated he was always there for me.  It helped to have someone so close to me that knew exactly what I was going through.  It helped me to not feel alone and he also just helped me understand everything more and how to stay on top of things.  This website has also definitely helped because if I ever had a problem or question I knew I could come here to have it answered or just have a group of people who would sympathize and understand exactly what I was going through.

[quote user="Courtney"]

11 years

12 (and quite confused). I thought I was just going to the hospital to get medicine. No one mentioned the most basic rule to me- diabetes doesn't go away. Imagine my shock when I learned that on my own!

I've always been health conscious, even from a young age. No Lunchables at school or lots of soda for me, haha. My family rarely ate fast food, and even when we did, I was completely grossed out by it. So eating healthy and being active came naturally.
Even on bad days, I'd rather suck it up and take care of myself than deal with feeling bad from high blood sugar. Plus, I'm so active that having anything stand in my way from accomplishing all the things I need to get done throughout the day just won't be tolerated ;) Why try to fight something that won't go away? I figure it will take less time to take care of myself now than it will to try and undo the damage diabetes can eventually cause the the body.

Also if you could put down if you would rather me not identify with first or last name and prefer me to just put anonymous or any other specification as to citing who said it that would be great.  Thanks in advance for your help.

[/quote]

If it is ok, I'll respond for my boys.  :)

My 12 year old son J has had diabetes for 12 years.  (Diagnosed at 8 months old.)

My 8 year old son B has had diabetes for 3 years.  (Diagnosed at 5 years old.)

My 6 year old son L has had diabetes for 4 years.  (Diagnosed at 2 years old.)

Diabetes is a way of life around here.  We try not to make a big deal about the numbers.  We know that the fact we are testing each child 8 times a day is a win in itself.  We tell the boys the numbers work as a map to where we need to be.   I try not to react when a bad number pops up.  I used to wince and my oldest son finally confided in me that he felt like he was letting me down.  (When in fact, I winced because I felt like I was letting HIM down.)  So we take each number as it comes, and try not to make diabetes the life of the party. 

Hey everyone!! Since it's Diabetes Awareness Month I figured I would do a speech for my speech class about diabetes and what people can do to help raise awareness and such.  My professor suggested that I get peer testimony from people living with it.  Naturally my first thought was to post something on here so that's what I'm doing.  For those that wouldn't mind me quoting them if you could answer a few questions.

How long have you had diabetes? How old were you when you were diagnosed?

I was diagnosed in July of 2010, almost 4 months ago, at age 17, right before the beginning of my senior year in high school.

I can't ignore it. There are times when I get caught up in other things and I'm not thinking about it, but it always comes back. Every time I eat I have to check my sugar, draw up insulin, and give myself a shot. Every time I go for a run (which is pretty much every day) I have to check my sugar, eat, run, carry glucose tablets with me, and check my sugar again when I'm done running. I always have to plan my days around when and what I'm eating, and when I'm going to go running. Watching what I eat and staying active keeps my sugars within a healthy range for the most part. Knowing about the damage I do to my body every time my sugar is high and knowing about the very real possibility of developing fatal complications when I'm older are my motivation for taking care of myself. I can't ignore the disease; I won't kill myself like that.

I'd like to be anonymous :)

Good luck with your speech!

I've had diabetes for a little more than 12 years.  I was diagnosed when I was 4, about a month before my 5th birthday.

I don't ignore diabetes because as contradictory as it sounds, I don't want to be bothered by feeling awful all of the time.  If I made no effort to manage my blood sugars, I would probably have more frequent highs and lows, both of which are unpleasant.  Also, by coming to terms with diabetes, I've been able to accept it - each blood sugar check, bolus, site change, whatever, isn't a struggle.  I want to live like a person with a perfect pancreas, so I try to replicate what my body should be doing itself.  Good control helps me focus and do well in school, in music, in every aspect of my life.  I couldn't accomplish half of what I've accomplished today if I ignored my diabetes.  Diabetes is a one-step-at-a-time process for me.  I anticipate, act as necessary, and respond to whatever does happen.  

How long have you had diabetes? Almost 15 years.

How old where you when you were diagnosed? 14 (So now I have officially had more years with Type one Diabetes than without)

Diabetes is a constant struggle.  How do you manage to stay on top of it and not just ignore it? For many years it was a huge struggle for me. However, after one experience, I realized that the care necessary to help oneself enjoy the day is small compared to not taking care of myself. I have many friends online to talk to now in the Diabetes Online Community. They motivate me to try harder and a friend who was introduced to me a few years back has really made a huge difference in my care.

You can identify me any way you want. Just don't call me C, that is such a weird name.

I was diagnoised 1 year and  3 months ago in July 2009 when i was 20.

Although it poses its challanges, staying ontop of my diabetes is one of my number one priorities. To stay on top of it i keep detailed records of my doses, my blood sugars and even my carb intake at meals sometimes. I made an excel spread sheet and input all the information into it occasionally so i can see the big picture. it helps me to see where adjustments need to be made.

I also have a fantastic support system. My friends, my boyfriend and my family are amazing and such caring people. They try and help me where ever they can. Im really lucky to have that.  

(I dont mind if you use my first name)

[quote user="Brian Q."]

You can identify me any way you want. Just don't call me C, that is such a weird name.

[/quote]

HA! i prefer "unique" :o)

I am going to follow in Meri's footsteps and reply for my son, who is only 3. 

Isaiah was diagnosed this past March at 2.5 yrs old. Obviously because he is so young he doesn't understand much at all. He does know that he has to be checked before he eats a meal, and has to have meds as well (he isn't on the pump yet, I'm a little scared of it lol) Our lives pretty much revolve around him and this disease. If we are out somewhere (waterpark, zoo, etc..)we have to keep a close eye on Isaiah to make sure he isn't going low. And just because we are out having a good time, doesn't mean we can forget about checking his blood sugar. There is no skipping meals or anything either.  Before we leave the house, we always have to make sure we have everything with us, medicine, meter (and supplies stocked as well), snack in case he goes too low....It's hard.  While he was in the hospital, he didn't like getting shots or being tested by the nurses, as this was all very new to him. But after he got home, he has done so well. He never complains or cries about having to take his medicine or having his bs checked.

You can just identify Isaiah by his name, and me as his mommy :o)

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

I've had diabetes for almost 14 years and I dxed when I was 2.

Yes, diabetes is a struggle but I get through it with the help of fam/friends and I know I couldn't do it without knowing that God gave me this for a reason and His plan is perfect. I also remember that if I want to survive this battle I Must take care of it. I don't like the feel of being low or high so that especially helps me remember to take control of it. Which doesn't always work. There's hard times and there are easier times.

if you want to quote me just use Leah

Diagnosed at age 4

Have had diabetes 33 years

I used to fight against the restrictions of diabetes, but as I've gotten older realize I feel much better when I take care of myself.  I'm also married and have a son, so I don't want diabetes to keep me from living a long, good life.  The pump was a huge help to me, as well as the great diabetes books and online forums where I can learn from others. 

Awesome!  I'd love to participate!

Only about 6 months.

30 years old!  It was a complete surprise, and I hadn't even known adults could get it.  Even my parents, who are both Registered Nurses, didn't believe it could be T1 when I first called to tell them.  Now, I'm amazed by how many of the people with T1 on the forums didn't get this disease until they were adults.

I think the core secret is finding more motivation than frustration.  There are times when I want to throw my glucose meter off the roof of a building, but that's outweighed by my belief that staying on top of my diabetes management will give me just as much chance of living a long, healthy life as someone without diabetes.  I want all the same things out of life that I wanted before diagnosis, like becoming a mom, finding my dream job, and growing old with my husband, and I believe I help make that happen every time I test my blood sugar or take insulin.

Also, I've become interested in diabetes and taking advantage of the most up-to-date treatment options like insulin pumps, continuous glucose monitors, and rapid-acting insulin.  I've learned more about the body and metabolism in the past six months than I ever did in school, and it's fascinating!  I like learning how to use insulin and consume food to make things in my body work the way they're supposed to.  The insulin pump, which is already a great choice for me because I hate needles and love gadgets, lets me deliver insulin more like a healthy pancreas would.  The closer I get to seeing "normal" results overall, the more enthusiastic I am about my diabetes management.  We all get thrown a curve ball once in a while, but I try and remind myself that even people without diabetes can do a number on their blood sugars through foods that cause sugar spikes and carb crashes.  The difference is that their pancreas will take care of those sugar levels before they're in danger, and I just have to do it through my insulin pump instead.  (Or as I like to call it, my robo-pancreas!)

(And yes, you can use my name.)

I was diagnosed 65 years ago, when I was 6. My mother did such a wonderful job with me and I followed her lead in the years that followed. I have taken very good care of myself and am very healthy. I wanted to accomplish many things and did not want my diabetes to get in my way. i have completed all my goals and am living a wonderful life during my retirement. With good support and good control, we type 1 diabetics can have a very fulfilling, happy, and healthy life. You are welcome to use my name.

Richard Vaughn

Oh, how neat!  I hope it goes well.

How long have you had diabetes? 15 years

How old where you when you were diagnosed? 10

Diabetes is a constant struggle.  How do you manage to stay on top of it and not just ignore it? Daily blood sugar testing (3-5 times a day most days), carb counting, maintaining an awareness of how I feel (I can still usually feel when I get too high or too low), vigorous exercise at least once a week (usually twice), and keeping up a healthy diet (lots of veggies, nuts, and lean meats, most of which I thankfully like the taste of anyway!)

You may use my name - no biggie.  :)

hey everyone...i did my speech today and it went really well.  just thought i'd thank all of you for you're inputs.  i really appreciate all the feedback i got.

much love,

courtney

Glad to hear!  :)

[quote user="Courtney"]

[/quote]

1. 25 years on July 1

2. 9 days from turning 4. Went in July 1, came out July 4, turned 4 July 10th

3. I have a family that is very active in my disease. My mom (lord love her) would also hound me, Steph, are you testing? Are you eating what you are supposed to? I now have a hubby that does the same thing. And I have a 3 year old daughter  that by her simple existence MAKES me stay on top of it. I feel better and I am able to better take care of her as well. NOW, I have another on the way that makes me even more focused. My children are my world and I want to see (and I do mean SEE) them grow up, graduate, get married, have kids of their own. So I do what I have to now to make sure that happens.