Omnipod hooked up!

[quote user="A-D"]

...but I would love to have seen a trap door with a removable reservoir and a clean-out port of sorts where you could remove the pod, and safely and easily get the insulin out in the event of a failure.  This would (of course) not address the temperature concerns...

[/quote]

Well, heck, why don't they just make it so that there is a little removable reservoir thing, which is also surrounded by a slight cooling device? It makes perfect sense. (=

|†~*Sarah*~†|

This wait is killing me! Omnipod has all my paperwork and it's been a week and a half but I have not heard when I will be recieving anything. I know my insurance will slow everything down but I dont know how much longer I can wait! :D

How have you been liking it so far? Is it as good as you were hoping? (And you can be honest...I dont think anything will stop my excitement!)

Laura

Laura,

Sorry to hear they are being slow with everything.  I would advise you call them, every day if you have to, to see what the latest status on everything is.  You will be paying for their product.....don't let them forget what they owe you.

My experience has been great so far!  Well besides this morning....the pdm kept beeping to let me know my pod will expire in three hours, there must be some setting I can change for this as I woke me up hours before I wanted to lol.  Otherwise though life is beautiful.  No injections in several days makes me a happy panda.  I love to go out to eat and the Omnipod has made that soooo much easier for me.  I might even consider havign dessert for the first time in 13 years.....maybe.  I've been keeping a mental scrapbook of my day to day experiences and will be sure to share everything soon.  Long story short.....it seems to be as good as they say it is!

I finally got around to doing my first offical post in my blog, check it out!

My three month supply has been shipped!!!!!! I should get it tomorrow!!! I now have to set up an appointment with a clinical rep to get me started! (can you tell I'm excited??! haha)

Haha you sound like me just two weeks ago!  Shouln't be too long for you now!  Make sure to keep calling about the appointent with the trainer/rep though, as it took them over a week from the time I receieved my supplies to actually meet with someone.  No use having all those pods and not trying them out!  Be sure to keep me up to date, the pod is working out gerat for me so far, I hope it will do the same for you!

It has Arrived!

Hi Laura,I'm excited for you too,I want updates on the omipod !

okay so i have an appointment at 9:45 on tuesday!  Michael, is there anything you recommend me asking when I meet with the rep to put the saline in it?? I feel prepared...i've looked through all the literature and am good with the technology aspect of it all...

i'm 16 years old and i've been on the Omnipod for about 9-10 months.
i absolutely love it. it's made life soooo much easier.
i love being wireless because i had a minimed when i was about 9 and i remember having to constantly worry about the cord, especially when i was sleeping, and the whole wireless thing is infinity times easier.
however, i'm not sure if other pumps have the same issue, but because the pod itself sort of sticks out on my body, it tends to get knocked off every once in a while. i've knocked it off maybe 5 times over the course of 9-10 months because i've hit it on things while trying to squeeze through people or objects.

i'm currently taking a break from the pod (giving my sites a break. i'm pretty thin so i only have a few sites to choose from) and since i've been back on lantus and novolog shots, it's made me realize even more how much easier life is with the omnipod. i highly recommend it to anyone that can get it.

Laura, so glad to hear your almost good to go!  Some good questions to ask would be to ask the trainer to show you exactly where, and how, you can place the pod on your body.  Having options to start out with is always a good idea.  Also be sure to get the trainers cell number, if possible, as it makes it easy for quick questions during the saline time.  Make sure to also set up a followup appointment so you can get going on that insulin soon! Also, ask about the limitations of the pod with water and heat.  When you start on the saline, feel free to change the pod after a day or two, to give yourself some time with the pod on so you can see where you like it best.  A quick tip I learned, when changing your pod, after removing it from yourself, make sure to put the USED pod somewhere far from the PDM, the next room is fine.  I say this because if you have two pods in the same room, one used and one fresh, you can get an error with the PDM because its trying tor recognize two units.  i wasted 3 pods before I figured this out so don't make the same mistake I did.

Another quick thing, the help line on the back of the PDM is great.  The people are friendly and informative.  Feel free to call them with questions anytime, I have twice alerady myself.  Please let me know how everything goes for you, its an exciting time and I know you'll love the POD!

I am all hooked up!! Next tuesday I start on insulin!!

Congrats Laura!  Best of luck with it!  hows does it feel?

Feels good! I did notice it last night a little bit while I was lying in bed (I have it on my arm. I did a trial on my arm and had no problem so it must just be where I put it is a little different.) I got some really good news today too! My A1C is down to 6.5!!! It was 14 when diagnosed in March and 9.8 in May. It's been a really good couple of days :D

Okay so i made my first pod change today. I had a hard time getting it off of my arm though. The rep had told me to use baby oil to get it off, all I had was baby oil gel. It didnt work! We just went out and bought some baby oil so i'm hoping that will work. Any other suggestions on how to take it off??? thanks - laura

Hey Laura - I like Detachol for an adhesive remover.  Minimed tried to get me to switch to another brand but I like this one.  It worked great for me when I was on the POD.  I liked the bottle b/c you can drip a few drops on the adhesive and it soaks it up, within a few seconds it's an easy removal.  I did a search for it so you could see what it is.  http://www.allegromedical.com//ostomy-supplies-c529/detachol-adhesive-remover-p173268.html?engine=shopping&utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=feed&CS_003=9145724&CS_010=8ab281020bb66dff010bb67106d14751  You can search further or call a med supply place in your area to see if they have it.  Good luck!

Hey Laura, glad things are moving along for you!  Sorry its been awhile since I've checked it, had some family issues come up, grandpa in the hospital, that sort of thing...

The pods are a little hard to get off, especially if its on your back and your trying to do it in front of a mirror.  The trainer I had come to my house gave me about 10-15 adhesive remover "packages" to try and said to let my doctor know which one I liked, basically look like alchohol swabs, but I honestly havent been using them as I find they are mostly oil based and make everything into a slimy mess lol.  When you use them you need to throughly wash the area off with soap and water or the oil can linger all day.  I've kind of figuered out a system of sorts, almost like removing a bandaid, where i peel off all the sides a very small amount, then work my way down from the top of the unit until I get to where the cannula is, then in a swift but firm motion take the rest off.

I know this isnt much help, just sharing my experiences.  I know other people have had sucess with different adhesive removers, but for me so far I haven't needed them.  Hope your blood sugars keep going in the right direction.  I've defiitely noticed a small, but apparant, drop in my post meal BG's, a step forward!

I may try something like Doug suggested, looks to be in the right direction!

Okay so it has been a week! I am LOVING it!! I am so glad to be done with injections. I have found that the baby oil does really help. I have not had any more problems since using the oil and no problems with pods or the PDM. Im still doing the tests to determine my basal rates...but it's so worth it! Are you still pleased with it Michael?

I'am very pleased with it as well, seems like a whole new way of life not having to do the injections anymore, and my BG levels has most definitely come down to where I want them to.  I had another insicident where I had two pods in a row give me erroes the other day, but other then that no issues at all.  I also did a small "test" of sorts to see what happens when you go a few hours over the pod expiration timer, no issues at all as long as there is still extra insulin in there.  It takes a good 2-3 weeks of adjustments tro get where you need to be, stay in constant contact with your doctor for help there :)  Glad you are liking it laura!