Gavi saw the endo. today

His A1C was 7, up from 6.3 last time. I knew it would be higher because of how high his numbers have been. She did not start him on Novolog today. Passover just ended, and most foods we ate were pretty high carb (I tried as ahrd as possible to keep Gavi's carb intake under control) so she wants o wait a few more days to see if his numbers will come back down. And since he's had negative ketones all this time, she said it's okay to wait until Monday. I'm not holding my breath. We're known for a year now the time would come when he would eventually need Novolog, so we're had time to 'prepare' ourselves for this huge change in all of our lives. Whenever he had a cold or any type of illness, his numbers would stay high for a while then eventually come back down. But with each illness, his numbers never got back to what they were before. He got over bronchitis about a month ago and I'm pretty sure that's what did it.


I know it's not going to be easy for any of us, I know he's going to resist more shots. I know we're going to have many meeting with the nutritionist to make sure we give him the proper foods. I just hope he will be able to accept his new kind of lifestyle. I just want him to be healthy and happy.

Thanks for the update.  Negative ketones is definitely good. One positive about Novolog is that he will be able to eat higher carb foods without the number spike because you can adjust his dose accordingly.  His food intake shouldn't change drastically at all.  There will be a learning curve, but you can handle it!

I'm surprised the endo. is having Gavi wait even longer before starting on Novolog if his numbers have been higher.  Wishing him and your family the best of luck.