Newly Diagnosed Girl (at school)

So there's a girl who was just diagnosed in September, (i was diagnosed in August Isn't that a little odd!) Anyways she's in her honeymoon and i just get so frustrated! My endo says i won't have a honeymoon because i've had diabetes for much longer than when i was diagnosed!(they think over a year!). So she takes like 2-3 units of insulin a meal. I take anywhere from 5-10. It just makes me mad how she has such great numbers and takes barely any insulin and i try and can't get good numbers! And the other day in our student council class we got the left over donuts from our breakfast and i dosed for it and she didn't have to and her number was fine! It just makes me so angry!!

Sorry I just needed a place to vent!!

I can understand this. My daughter didnt really honeymoon either. Her insulin needs went down for two weeks slowly and then bam right back up and now up and up. That was in January. In April another girl at her school was dxed at pretty fast she wasnt in dka like my daughter and she is still honeymooning. I am jealous of her but I know in time it will end for her. In ways I am ok with Riley not honeymooning. To me it seems like a tease. Like you get a little of your old life back and have to wait for it to end. For Ri it was just done and over with we dealt with it and moved on. Now this is just life for her and us. There is no adjusting to it being over at some point. 

Caitlyn, if you had diabetes a year before you were diagnosed, You may have been having your honeymoon then. You may have eaten donuts and many other things then, that you do not eat now. So it seems fair to me. The other girl's honeymoon will end and then she will have to take much more insulin, just like you. She may not eat any donuts then. I haven't eaten a donut for at least 40 years. I eat foods with sugar only when I need to correct a low.

[quote user="Caitlyn"]

So there's a girl who was just diagnosed in September, (i was diagnosed in August Isn't that a little odd!) Anyways she's in her honeymoon and i just get so frustrated! My endo says i won't have a honeymoon because i've had diabetes for much longer than when i was diagnosed!(they think over a year!). So she takes like 2-3 units of insulin a meal. I take anywhere from 5-10. It just makes me mad how she has such great numbers and takes barely any insulin and i try and can't get good numbers! And the other day in our student council class we got the left over donuts from our breakfast and i dosed for it and she didn't have to and her number was fine! It just makes me so angry!!

Sorry I just needed a place to vent!!

[/quote]

think of it this way...in a few months or a year, she's going to be in the same place as you. you already had your honeymoon phase (it was the same with me, they think I was diagnosed a year late), she's having hers. while you were throw into it, she's got months to worry about when it will end. you didn't have to go through the worry of having your honeymoon phase end and real life start, so you're kinda the lucky one. we all struggle, especially at the beginning, with levels, but you were only JUST diganosed..you're not suppose to have everything figured out and perfect.

I've always struggled with highs or lows at times. it's fine, as long as you're trying your best.

there's no point in getting mad just because she's experiencing her honeymoon phase and you never did. you're both ending up in the same place, just different times. it isn't a contest and it isn't like she's going to honeymoon forever.

I agree with everyone else - at least you had an extra year without worrying about diabetes.  Eventually, we all end up in the same place.  I don't think I ever had a honeymoon...but it's not like it mattered because I was 4-5 and hated food then anyways.  I understand your frustration, but it shouldn't impact your relationship with her.  You both have the same disease and in the end I'm sure you'll be venting to each other about how to cover doughnuts without becoming rockets.