Honeymoon Period?

Soooo, I met with my endocrinologist for the first time today (I am relatively newly diagnosed, I have been seen at another clinic for the past 6 months) and she was telling me about the "honeymoon period:-- it is the time after you are diagnosed that things go very well. Eventually, this time stops and things may go a bit out of whack and insulin will need to be adjusted, etc. But shouldn't be too big of a deal.

This makes me nervous, because things have been going so well for me....I am just WAITING for that time to come! Ahhh!

Anyone have the honeymoon period end? How bad does it get? I am so OCD with my numbers the way it is, so I will probably freak out. I need to learn that this disease is unpredictale and things will not always stay the same. Just need to keep telling myself that =)

--Kelly

My doctor actually just told me at my appt. last week that I am officially out of the honeymoon stage. I was diagnosed almost a year ago, May 2010. My honeymoon phase lasted about 9 mths which is a bit longer than what I was told the norm was. I'm really active in sports so i know dealing with the random lows is really annoying, but being on the lower side can make maintaining tight control a lot simpler as long as your careful. As far as when your honeymoon stage ends i wouldn't be too worried about it. All that really matters is that your keeping good control now. While i was honeymooning i was certain that one day i would test my bg and the meter would read hi, and that's when i would know my honeymoon stage was over. It actually doesn't work that way. :P Atleast for me it didn't. It was a little more gradual than that. I had to adjust my basal rates t 3 + times a week for about a month to keep my numbers down. I would say that he biggest difference for me is that i don't have to worry as much about lows as i do highs now. But yes, this disease is extremely unpredictable. It doesn't matter if you're in the honeymoon phase or not! Hope this helped! :)

My doctor actually just told me at my appt. last week that I am officially out of the honeymoon stage. I was diagnosed almost a year ago, May 2010. My honeymoon phase lasted about 9 mths which is a bit longer than what I was told the norm was. I'm really active in sports so i know dealing with the random lows is really annoying, but being on the lower side can make maintaining tight control a lot simpler as long as your careful. As far as when your honeymoon stage ends i wouldn't be too worried about it. All that really matters is that your keeping good control now. While i was honeymooning i was certain that one day i would test my bg and the meter would read hi, and that's when i would know my honeymoon stage was over. It actually doesn't work that way. :P Atleast for me it didn't. It was a little more gradual than that. I had to adjust my basal rates t 3 + times a week for about a month to keep my numbers down. I would say that he biggest difference for me is that i don't have to worry as much about lows as i do highs now. But yes, this disease is extremely unpredictable. It doesn't matter if you're in the honeymoon phase or not! Hope this helped! :)

I had the same worries for my daughter. By the time the honeymoon ended it wasn't that big of a deal. You just keep doing what you have been doing

but the insulin doses will likely increase, especially the basal. It won't be as big of an adjustment as your initial diagnosis. 

Honeymoon lasted a long time for my son -- and it ended with a gradual increase of insulin requirements.  The thing is the honeymoon can be unpredictable as well -- some days the pancreas worked great, some days it was on vacation.   Things are unpredictable BUT if you get in the good habit of testing frequently ( and monitoring how you feel) you will be able to handle it!

My son is coming up on 2 years of T1 in May and our endo still feels he is honeymooning. THis is based on how little insulin he uses (~7units total a day) which has pretty much stayed the same since a few months after dx. (The first few months trying to just get everything adjusted). The honeymoon is not a stage of just good BGs and then the next day is high BGs. It is a gradual decline of the pancreas until it is making no mor insulin, so the end of the honeymoon is usually pretty gradual, not sudden. THough a few people have said that an illness during the honeymoon - the BGs won't return to as good as they were pre-illness without tweaking.

It changes and yes, that is hard to accept, but once you do, it is kind of freeing - at least i don't freak out as much when things get a little (or a lot) out of whack because I just know that it changes.

I am also newly diagnosed and scared witless, thank you for the reassurance that I won't wake up one day with a 500 bs reading.

I am also still in my "honeymoon" period. I was dx back in October. My dr's office keeps telling me things will get worse and that my numbers are super awesome right now but will start to go higher, so I also worry a lot about numbers just shooting high. I'm only taking about 6 units of novolog per day. I have wondered myself if I really am diabetic, but my dr's office assures me that I am.I guess my inital A1C of 11.5 should be enough proof!  lol.

Ive had type one for a year since march 2010 and i just got told my honeymoon perioud has ended and badly with alot of high bloodsugars but not everyone is the same.

Period on your honeymoon? That's the worst kind of luck...Oh wait

In all seriousness, yes I think the honeymoon time varies per person, but mine lasted for about a year. There was no drastic change. It just takes a little bit of time where you have to adjust your bolus/basal to match up with what your body is doing/not doing.

I can sort of relate with the OCD about it, but as much as possible, try to be patient and communicate with your doc if your 'old' insulin:carb ratio and correction rates seem to be off a bit. I haven't had this disease all that long (5 yrs - think it's my D-anniversary nowish but that's beside the point), but I do know that it takes a lot of trial and error. This can be frustrating, but once you get it down and your pancreas finally waves the white flag (who knew your pancreas was French?), you'll be able to get back into a groove that is commensurate with your OCD desires :)