New Endo Group

We are fortunate enough to live in an area that has 2 children's hospitals. The hospital closest to us did not accept our insurance until yesterday so we had to go to the further hospital when my son was first diagnosed 2 months ago. We had our first appointment with our new team yesterday and were we surprised at the conflicting guidance! Nothing ground shaking, but enough that it surprised us. We were just really shocked at how different the schools of thought  can be on how to approach glucose control. I would think with the way the medical societies set up guidelines there would be more conformity to our guidance. I realize that each person diabetes is handled differently and with a medical background I feel comfortable with decisions I need to make to address my child's diabetes...but I really feel for the family's without that background looking for guidance. I watch my husband struggle with understanding how to make adjustments and know there have to be many like him. There are many things I don't understand, too, but have been able to find some of the answers through this site.

I just want to put a blanket "Thank You!" out to those who maintain and submit to this site!!!

That would be scary to me.  We drive 1 1/2 hours to see our endo.  But I would be glad to do that any day of the week.  Yes this site is amazing and so helpful.  It is nice to come here and get to talk to people who go through the same things day in and day out.

Could you give me the differences in the philosophies? I'm wondering if I need to see if I should look into another way of treating my son's diabetes.

Every doctor has his or her own treatment philosophy and expectations.  I'd describe the schools of thought as:  

1) The person should conform his or her life to diabetes

or

2) The doctor and person should find diabetes treatment that fits the person and his or her life

There is a trade off either way and different philosophies work for different people.  It sometimes take trial and error to find a good doctor.  Endocrinologists are often good, however my very best diabetes doctor was an internist who was current on diabetes treatment and had a low key approach to manging it, just like me.  

The medical community often sees diabetes as a minor disease.  Because of that a lot of doctors who treat diabetes really shouldn't be doing so.

Your doctor should:

- Be your advocate.

- Be knowledgeable about diabetes and current research.

- Have many other patients with diabetes (and with juvenile diabetics if it's your child who has diabetes).

- Give you treatment options to solve diabetes problems.

- Encourage you and understand diabetes is just one part of your life.

- Be willing to fight and fill out paperwork to get you a pump or CGM or an adequate supply of test strips.  

- Encourage you to live a normal life, eat what non-diabetics do, and pursue any hobby or activity you want.