New at this - Diagnosed Typ1 in Sept at 57 Years Old - BG Levels suddenly higher

Hi,

I have a wonderful support system, a great diabetic nurse and have come a long way in 7 months.  I am on the pump and highly sensitive to insulin changes as I don't require too much insulin -avrg 16 units a day.  I was gaining good control, finally.  Recent A1C 6.8 (in the hospital in Sept, when first diagnosed, I was 11.9!).  In the last three days I have started running high consistently with no real pattern,  See readings in the 200's about 2/3's of the time and bolusing to correct more than I ever have in the past.  I don't think that I am getting ill but I am a lttle congested with spring allergies.  Do any of you notice changes in BG levels when seasons change and will I likely return to my previous insulin requirements or is this a more permanent situation?  I have changed my insulin, the resevoir and the infusion set three times and have troubleshot the pump with the pump company and all seems normal there.

Any help/comfort that you other type 1's can offer woujld be greatly appreciated.  I feel so weird to be newly diagnosed at this age.

Thank you.

Most diabetics go through a "honeymoon" phase where their pancreas is still producing a little bit of insulin. It could be your honeymoon is ending (your pancreas is no longer producing any insulin) which will now make your BGs go higher, upping your insulin requirements.

While I don't experience changes in my levels with the seasons, I do have to be very aggressive to keep my BGs in a more "normal" range. I use close to 100u every day. Especially if you have verified your pump is working correctly and the sites are properly absorbing insulin, I would guess (though, that's exactly what it is - a guess) that you are reaching a stage where you require higher amounts of insulin. Definitely not 100u like myself, but 16u just may not be enough anymore.

Don't be afraid to use more insulin and be aggressive with your numbers. Following a healthy lifestyle (balanced diet, exercise, stress management) can help control blood sugars, in addition to consistent checking of your blood sugars and correcting when needed.

We are here to help you :o) Keep asking questions and reaching out to us. Whatever you have been doing in the past has been working, so it may just be time for a little tweaking! Good luck :o)

C's right I think your honeymoon is over!! LOL Welcome to Juvenation!!! You are in my Club 1. I was dx.ed aug./08 little over a year before you. I also was older 52, mine was in ICU, DKA, a1c 13.3 and bs 0f 672. On the raise in numbers try a basal check!!! If there is anything I can help with I'll try!!!! I know it's strange. Again welcome.

Thanks to both you and C for your insight.  Today is better but I do feel some tweaking is in order.  Will be reviewing my numbers again with my nurse this week.  It is amazing how much better you feel when your numbers are in or close to target.

It is relief to find others diagnosed at this stage of life.  Wow - what a life altering experience.  But, as my sister keeps reminding me, I lived 57 years without it when most Type 1's face a lifetime of dealing with it.

Hi Ive been on Insuline for over 30 years and yes every spring and fall my tolerences change, now I keep a close eye on my BG at these times and make

adjustments as needed.

Good Luck

[quote user="PatF"]

Thanks to both you and C for your insight.  Today is better but I do feel some tweaking is in order.  Will be reviewing my numbers again with my nurse this week.  It is amazing how much better you feel when your numbers are in or close to target.

It is relief to find others diagnosed at this stage of life.  Wow - what a life altering experience.  But, as my sister keeps reminding me, I lived 57 years without it when most Type 1's face a lifetime of dealing with it.

[/quote]

Hey PatF,

It's a change alright. Fifty plus years and then bang!!! But you are not alone. One funny thing for me, is these young people with so much more time under their belt!!

I am inspired. I hope that I can put 30 years of diabetes under my belt. I am in year two.  I generally feel fine and great, busy and needing to be on my toes for two small kids and my own business.  I find that I get emotionally depressed when I "score" a bad number, and I cannot get happy again until I see a good one.  How do you not get hung up on the numbers when they are fluctuating many times a day?  I am glad to have found this community, as I do not have many people around me who are pro's at this. 

blood sugars aren't a reflection of who we are. they are a reflection of our body. i get some crazy, unexplained numbers. it's hard not to feel frustrated, but i also realize i cannot have complete control over my D even though i try. i also know that just because one number isn't where i want to be, doesn't mean all of them will be that way. i had to stop associating my moods with my blood sugars. it wreaked havoc on me emotionally when i associated me being a "bad" diabetic with numbers that were out of range. as long as i know i am doing the best i can to treat my diabetes, i am comfortable with numbers that are out of range.

I am an allergy sufferer and allergies and change of season affect my sugars big time!  If you are high, it may be because of the congestion and allergies.  Are you taking anything for your allergies?  That could be what's upping your numbers also.  I am really sensitive to everything, and it sounds like you could be the same way!  I feel like if the wind blows in a different direction, my blood sugars are affected!!!  :P

I too get so hung up on the numbers.  I was always driven in school to get good grades and if I did what I was suppose to I did.  That is what is frustrating with this disease -2&2 don't always =4!  In spite of your best efforts the numbers don't always turn out right.  If I get a good reading I am on top of th world - like I got an A on an exam.  If I am way out of target my self esteem if affected and my moods are terrible.  My Dr. keeps saying that I have to look at the Blood Sugar readings as a tool that assists in the management of my disease, not a measure of how well I am "performing" as a diabetic.

It is so nice to be able to talk about this with people who truly understand. 

My numbers have been better lately and I will be going on a Continuous Glucose Monitor in a fews weeks which will give me some peace of mind.  Some nights I am afraid of going to sleep.

[quote user="Pat F"]

My Dr. keeps saying that I have to look at the Blood Sugar readings as a tool that assists in the management of my disease, not a measure of how well I am "performing" as a diabetic.

[/quote]

This is a great way of looking at it, and I've never heard anyone put it quite like that before.  More doctors should be like yours.  :)

I just passed  one year anniversary of my diagnosis at age 52.

Instead of worrying about individual numbers,  follow the trends the numbers tell you.  Monitor what is

happening over time and use that to judge what is causing your numbers to change.  It is true, for some

people, their numbers will change with the seasons.  Also illness, stress, exercise, serendipity, or the flap

of a butterfly's wing can cause your numbers to do weird things.

I use the computer program that works with my meter to monitor the trends.  This program allows me to download

and chart my numbers in a variety of different ways so you can spot patterns, note the range of deviations between highs

and lows and see how often you hit your targets.  It gives you a better "big picture" perspective on what is going on.

Hope this helps.

apenn