Need help with picking a pump for my daughter

We just got back from our pump 101 class at her endos office.  They kind of did a little over view of all 3 of the big name pumps out, but wasn't really helpful for deciding on which would be best.  We left with about the same amount of info that we already had from some of my looking on line.  So I am reaching out and want to hear what pumpers think of their pumps and what you like and dislike about it.  That way we can make the best choice for Cassidy in the long run.  I will let the final decision be up to her since she has to wear it, but just need the nitty gritty details on the pros and cons of each.  Thanks.

I would recommend the Medtronic MiniMed. I am using it and have been very satisfied with it. It's very simple to learn to use and has a lot of different colors.

We love the Animas ping for our son.  It is waterproof and I love that the meter "talks" to the pump and I can give him the insulin from across the room.  He does not have to stop playing or hanging with his friends.  We have been very happy with the customer service from Animas also.

i have medtronic minimed and would definitely recommend it. i haven't had any problems with it. when i first started on the pump, i had a question about air bubbles in the tubing, so i called the help line and they were very helpful. they also have a good range of colors(:

I like the Medtronic Minimed pumps.  They are simple and have worked well for me.  I use the UltraLink meter with my pump so that all of my blood sugar readings are sent automatically to the pump.  I've also used the CareLink system which allows you to download blood sugar readings from the pump, meter, and/or CGM (which I don't use) onto your computer and shows trends in your blood sugars with graphs, etc.  Their customer service has been very helpful as well.   

I use an Animas Ping.  It's very easy to program and use, and the remote meter option is very helpful.  All of the pumps are "good" - it really comes down to which features you and she find most important.  I'm pretty sure there have been other threads discussing the different pumps; you might want to do a search.  There is also an "Insulin Pump Therapy" forum under Groups you may want to try.  :)

I use the Medtronic Minimed and absolutly love it! I have had it for almost three years and have loved it every single day. I really recommend it especially for the long run b/c they are constatly making upgrades you can get really cheap if your warenty on the pump has not run out.

i have to agree with kim - it's really about features because the pumps themselves are all fairly similar.

i am slowly working my way through all the pumps - i've worn all of them except the omnipod (which is next on my list). as far as customer service goes, i have to say hands down minimed has been the best through my experience. the meter-remote option on the animas is very nice and handy, especially because my pump has found a near-permanent home in my bra, and i can't just whip it out whenever i need to. omnipod is tubeless, which sounds wonderful to me.

i would spend time checking out the special features each pump offers, when it comes down to it, that's how i've always chosen a pump.

good luck!

My son and husband are both on Medtronic's Paradigm and I have a remote for both, plus they come with a wireless glucometer (as do most of the pumps). There is also another cool thing called the CGM (continued glucose monitoring)...unfortunately, you have to wear it just like pump.....change it out every 3 days...but it keeps real time sugar readings and send it to yur pump. If you get too high or low, the pump will alarm. The other pumps do not have this. Its great since my sons has lows when sleeping. It is not waterproof....and even though some other brands consider themselves to be waterproof....i would not consider that a selling point, because what if it did break. The keypad locks so if your playing sprorts, etc.....u cant give yourself insulin. There are so many neat things. The reports are great too. Very interactive.

Minimed just came out with a new Paradigm pump, Paradigm Revel,  which surpasses all pumps in my opinion. Youll need to find out which manufacturer your insurance company will allow....we HAD to go with medtronics.

You really need to do research and have each company send you info. Theyll come with a DVD, booklets, all kinds of goodies to help you decide.

Other pumps may be better for her and her lifestyle, just depends.

http://www.minimed.com/products  ,   http://www.animascorp.com/animas-insulin-pumps/onetouch-ping   These seem to be the main ones.

Forgive me for posting a similar message in two groups, but I believe this also applies to what you ask.

I have had an Animas pump for 3.5 years.  Currently on a 2020.  I just started the DexCom Seven + CGM two weeks ago and look forward to an integrated solution, hopefully in the next year.

I was diagnosed with DM T1 at age 42 (no diabetes history prior), so it was a radical change of lifestyle for me.  Was on MDI for about a yr before going to pump.

I am an engineer so research everything before I make a decision.  When looking at pumps, I scoured the internet, talked to sales reps, went to seminars, etc.  I went with Animas for several reasons and have not regretted my decision.  The pumps I considered were OmniPod, MM, Cozmo (glad I did not go that route!), and Animas.  It really came down to MM vs Animas.  MM dominates the market and I sensed a herd mentality to it being selected by most users and also being recommended by most physicians.  In my area, there are few endos and patients familiar with Animas, but bucking the trend was fine with me.  Depending on what you find in your area, you may have to self-educate.

One of the pros of talking to several vendors and making them aware that you are doing so, they may throw in some freebie accessories to sweeten the deal and win you over.

Pros of Animas

1. Luer-lock on cartridges so you are not stuck with proprietary infusion sets.  You can use sets from a variety of manufacturers.  Animas has a wide variety of infusions sets.  My local sales rep has gotten me samples free of charge to try options.  This gives you flexibility in the infusion set you use.
  2. Can order supplies online directly from Animas, if your insurance allows that approach.  There is an online estore.
  3. It's waterproof.  I shower, swim, snorkel with mine.  You must replace the battery cap every 6 months however, to keep it waterproof.  In fact, I only disconnect when changing clothes or changing cartridge/infusion sets.
  4. It uses AA batteries, either alkaline or lithium.  Long battery life with the lithium option.
  5. Warranty service (from experience).  I have had my pump replaced twice, free of charge, for failure.  It was not so much that the pump was faulty, but the case cracked when the battery cap was tightened, and the pump leaked.  Very generous warranty support, in other words.  The last replacement included a free upgrade to the 2020.  The replacement unit and old unit shipping is covered by Animas.
  6. Free loaners (Medtronic charges).  I travel out of country and prior to leaving, I call Animas and request a loaner pump.  One is sent free of charge.  If I don't break the seal and use, I return after my trip and Animas covers shipping both ways.  Should your pump fail, call for authorization to use the loaner and then return your old pump.
  7. Lots of accessories.  I daily use the hard case holster to clip the pump to the shower curtain, my PJs at night, etc.
  8. Lots of options for adjusting the bolus and basal rates.
  9. CalorieKing Carb database on the pump.  I don't use it much, but it is there and customizable (you can add your own favorites) if you so desire to use it.
  10. Ping communicates with a OneTouch Ultra meter -- I have not tried this model.
  11. Customization alarm tunes (I don't use) with a tool to customize the tones.  Can be fun for kids to program a custom alarm.
  12. Don't remember the details, but I believe Animas dispenses more frequently and can be at smaller dosage increments than the MM

Cons of Animas

1. Fewer users and fewer physicians with experience than with MM.  My endo and her staff are not familiar with the Animas pumps like they are the MM, this is because Medtronic has an aggressive salesforce.
  2. EZManager Max software is full-featured (pro) and prints lots of graphs/plots.  However, I have had problems with it on MS Windows Vista to recognize both my OneTouch UltraMini meter and the 2020 Pump to download and integrate all the data.  I am guessing it is more full-featured than the MM software (but don't know for sure) since my endo is surprised at how much data is displayed and she is most familiar with MM.
  3. There is only one reservoir cartridge size (2.0 mL), whereas MM has a couple sizes.

The Dexcom 7+, although it does not perfectly match my finger stick readings, I have been pleasantly surprised that it is usually within 5 - 10%.  Many times it is spot on.  2009 was the first time that my insurance authorized CGM, so I jumped on it and I am glad that I did.  Looking at other forums, it appears that others prefer the Dexcom over the MM CGM for accuracy.  Having the separate Dexcom receiver from the pump is a hassle since I constantly carry the pump, a meter, and the Dexcom receiver.  Add in a cell phone and you get lots a devices to carry.  Look forward to an integrated solution in the devices, but also software to integrate all the data for analysis (the engineer in me talking).  The sensors can be worn for 7 days, which I believe is longer than the MiniMed CGMS option.

I would never go back to MDI and I think I will like CGM as much as pumping as I get more experience with it.  Animas is a great choice.  You may be more on your own locally, depending on the market that you live in.

Hope that helps.

Paul

A couple more cons of Animas. I love my pump, but here are a couple things that aren't amazing:

no back button. to go to a previous menu, you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen. not a big deal, but a minor annoyance.

if you check your BG and then use the pump to bolus, you have to scroll from 80 to whatever your current BG is to correct. Annoying, since the meter and pump do talk to each other. 

no integrated cgm. it's coming. people in the dexcom office are wearing it - it just hasn't passed through the FDA yet. I just started on a dexcom, and i am running out of pocket space. 

And the best pro:

the color green. 

also, luer lock. gives you so many options for infusion sets. 

Ok so over all I havent heard to many bad things about the pumps. :D My next question is about the infusion sets.  How often does a site go bad and have you had more problems with one type or the other.

my sites don't go bad very often. occasionally, i'll get a bent cannula but that's usually my own fault and not something caused by the pump. sometimes, i'll get burny site - maybe less than once a month? for the most part, i have found places that work well for me and i continuously rotate around to them. i've got plenty of fatty tissue to put a pump site, so it's not usually a problem. she'll figure out what places are most convenient for her and which absorb the best. it just might take a little bit of time :o)

The rule is to change the infusion set every 3 days. With my son, at times we have to do every 2 days due to inflammation and redness. If left in longer than 3 days there is a high chance for infection.

PS. i had horrible allergic reactions to the cleo (can be used with the cozmo or the animas). my skin is REALLY sensitive to adhesive, so i'm usually scratching my skin off by the 3rd day. i use the animas insets now (i have no idea what they're called.... they come in cool colors) and i don't have as much of a reaction. i never had a problem with the medtronic sets. i also started using spray benadryl before i put the site on and that helps keep it from itching too much.

I have a medtronic minimed but have tried the omnipod. I think that both are great because teh medtronic minimed comes in four different colors and is customizable with "pump skins" and the omnipod has no tubes. If you're choosing one for her though, I know that some endos actually let you try a pump before getting it... see what she likes best.

I love the omnipod - so easy to use, no tubing - nothing! just a small tiny "pod" that adheres to your body (i use mine on my stomach). I think it would be great for a child to use - just change the pod every three days - the only con i can think of, is that sometimes its a little itchy, but the pros greatly outweigh any cons. Great customer service too! Please feel free to message me with any questions :)

I think you guys go to the same clinic as us (I agree the Pump 101 class was no help in selecting the pump - but I do like that they don't force a certain kind of pump on you.) We eventually decided on the Ping. Primary reasons:

1. Waterproof. I fully expect my son to fall in a lake or pool at some point with his pump on, "by accident" of course.  ;) I'm glad the pump will not be damaged. We have currently removed it for swimming and bathing though.

2. Smallest basal increments. He is still honeymooning and need extremely low basal rates (0.025 units/hr) for parts of the day. So this has been great, I believe MM is 0.05 unit increments.

We requested the free Omnipod demo which we decided was too big for our 4 yr old to wear. I know people love it, but you have to have your meter/remote to control the pump, so if that is ever lost/damaged, you are out of luck to bolus until it is replaced.  With the Ping you can control off of either the pump or the meter/remote.

My only downside of the ping is that the remote screen is only gray and it can be hard to read in certain lights. My Mother in law also finds it hard to read - the screen on the pump is color and is much easier to read.

John is quite thin, so we use the Inset 30s sites. These go in at an angle. Right now, he is allowing his sites to be on his butt, and we have really only had 1 'burny' site - which meant he noticed a burning sensation every time he got insulin (or all boluses and some basals) I think it just happens if you happen to hit a nerve - I think we ended up changing that site after 2 days instead of 3.

My 11 year old daughter has had the Animas Ping for about three months and loves it. An Animas rep came to town and met with us one evening to give us a demonstration and explain everything. Their training was great the trainer was great, he brought an extra pump so that my daughter could go through all of the programming steps at the same time. With an active child being waterproof is great. The remote meter is a great convieniance, we have the EZ manager software, but have not used it yet. We change sites every three days, sometimes sooner, if she has been really active after a couple of days the infusion site may come loose. Overall we are very happy with the pump.

Good Luck

We just started the Omnipod a month ago for my 2 yr. old. 

Pros

Tubeless = very discreet and doesn't get in the way

Self insertion = stick the pod on an press a button

disposable = new pod every 3 days

waterproof = no removing for baths or swimming

Cons

A little bulky = Sensitive to falls or bumps

Have to be within 2 feet to bolus

We had a couple of failures the first week but it has gotten better.

So far we love it.  We are still working out the settings so we can stabilize her #s but she is doing so much better.  

The main feature that sold us on this one was the fact that it is tubeless.  Since Sophia is so young it seemed to be the only option.  We were expecting to wait until she was 4 before getting a pump but this offered us a better option sooner and we are thankful for it.

Good luck!  Any pump you choose would be great, they all have pros and cons but pumping overall is so much better for the long term.

All my best!