Animus ping or mini med?

We have decided to go to the pump for Emmie.  She is really excited and so are we.  We have kaiser and have the option of the animus ping or the mini med.  Can someone give me some feedback of which they prefer?  Our endo had pros and cons for both and I think that either way we go would be good but just wanted some real world feedback. 

Thanks!

-Meg (Emmies mom, diagnosed 10/29/09 at age 5) 

I've used both.  I was on Animas for 8 years and switched to MiniMed in March.  I like both, but I think minimed is working better for me. Since they basically do the same thing, here's my list of cons for each.

Minimed:

- isn't waterproof, so when my BG is high I can't take my pump in the pool with me (which happens often because I live in extremely hot, dry heat).

- If you ignore the "low reservoir" alert and wait to change it, if you run out of insulin it doesn't tell you until you try to take insulin.

Animas:

- my pump broke and they told me it was "user error" and wouldn't send me a new/refurbished/loaner pump when I was still under warranty (the pump had cracked open).

- If I remember correctly, my animas pump cost a couple thousand more than the minimed pump.  I'm not sure if you have a copay, but if you do it's something to consider.

Overall, though, I think the animas was good for me as a child.  I find it more user friendly, but now that I'm older that doesn't matter to me so much.

The MiniMed automatically calculates the amount of insulin you need based on you carb ratio and automatically gives you that amount. 

The Ping also automatically calculates the amount of insulin you need, however, once it's been calculated, you have to manually enter the amount on the next screen.

This may seem like a minor thing, but it's a pretty big inconvenience since it's a recurring part of our daily lives.

Also, the reason the Ping doesn't make it easy like the MiniMed is because Medtronic has a patent on the technology.

[quote user="Brady"]

The MiniMed automatically calculates the amount of insulin you need based on you carb ratio and automatically gives you that amount. 

[/quote]

You are able change the amount before you take it if you want to.  Automatic might not be the right word for that.

Another thing I thought of is the reservoirs for Animas were harder to get air bubbles out of, and harder to see the air bubbles inside.  I had some highs from that.

[quote user="Sonja Cunningham"]

You are able change the amount before you take it if you want to.  Automatic might not be the right word for that.

[/quote]

You're right. It only automatically enters the calculated amount for you. It's up to you to decide if you want to take that amount or adjust it.

i havent used the animus ping so i cant speak of it... but i am on the medtronic paradigm 722.. i absolutely love it! for me, it is the best choice and i dont want to change pump!!

congrats to Emmie on the pump! hope she is happy with her pump =)

My son (8) has had the Ping for 1 1/2 yrs and we love it.  I love that it is waterproof.  His was actually just taking in a tiny bit of water when he was swimming.  I called Animas on Friday at 2:00 in afternoon, talked to them for about 5 minutes and had his new pump at 10:00 Saturday morning.  I have been extremely happy with their customer service.

The greatest thing for me is that once he checks his sugar I can give the insulin from the meter while he goes back to playing.  This has come in very handy at parties, when friends are over, etc.  I give hime the insulin and he gives me a lil nod that he got it. 

I love it and it has been a great fit for him.  Good Luck!!!

We just got the Animas Ping for my 4 y/o. It's our first pump, so I can't compare it to anything, but we LOVE it. The 2 features that I absolutely wouldn't want to do without are that it's waterproof and the meter works as a remote for the boluses. I would hate to have to pull his pump out everytime he needs a bolus and it's peace of mind to know that he can sit in a water puddle unexpectedly or stay out in the rain without rushing to grab the pump. He even wears it in pools.

The Minimed was originally "waterproof" until there were reports of some getting wet and malfunctioning so Minimed sent out a letter saying the pump "is no longer waterproof".  They are protecting themselves from lawsuits basically.  The pump is still highly water resistant if not waterproof.  I have been on Minimed pumps for over 12 years and have never needed to wear it while in water.  I grew up surfing, swimming, and waterskiing sometimes being in the water for over an hour witthout the pump.  It just gets in the way in the water in my opinion and while excercising taking the pump off is sort of like programming a temporary basal rate.  This works for me so I am not trying to justify this for everyone;  find out what works for you and just make sure to check  blood sugars every half hour or so when in the water.  This is very important for the little ones with pumps especially!

Take care!

Have you had both of these pumps? I am currently on injections and am strongly pushing my endo for a pump.  These are two of the three I am considering. The other being the omnipod, for its tubeless design, but I have seen a lot of negative reports. Anyways,  Just looking for some insight on these pumps!

Animas Ping! First pump, and its really easy to work!

[quote user="Brady"]

The Ping also automatically calculates the amount of insulin you need, however, once it's been calculated, you have to manually enter the amount on the next screen.

This may seem like a minor thing, but it's a pretty big inconvenience since it's a recurring part of our daily lives.

Also, the reason the Ping doesn't make it easy like the MiniMed is because Medtronic has a patent on the technology.

[/quote]

hmm! that would be a nice feature to have!

[quote user="Brady"]

[/quote]

hmm! that would be a nice feature to have!

We have used both.  Either one will make a big difference in your life.  But for our family, Medronic was the best fit.  Definately more user friendly.  Easier to fill, less buttons to push, less errors.  Best of all my little guys, 5 and up, can easily bolus themselves.  I did a blog post on why we love our minimed, and linked it to others posts about why they loved the other pumps on the market.  Good luck with your decision.  It is so personal...you'll choose right for your family!

http://ourdiabeticlife.blogspot.com/2010/04/pump-parade-medronic-minimed-paradigm.html

In October or November there is a diabetes convention at the San Diego convention center.  There is a luncheon and the companies hand out lot of information about new products.  This might be something to check out before a choice is made but I totally understand just wanting a pump asap.  I am using the medtronic 723 but I don't know any brands other than medtronic.

Ooooo, Kelly, you have the new one!  I just got my second Medtronic pump Tuesday it is the 523.  It does everything except make my morning coffee.  It is a step up for me from my old 512 which lasted almost 6 years.  I don't know how long the Ping is supposed to last, Medtronics want you to change them every 4 years but I waited and found out that wasn't such a good idea since I ended up in emergency room when pump broke and gave me lots and lots of insulin at once.  But Medtronic customer service has been fantastic.  that is important for us users!

I've been on the Minimed for 3 years. Never tried the Ping, the Minimed is the only one I've tried. I like it! Never had any issues with the pump itself really... when I started they told me to sit down when inserting, and I got several No Deliveries, then found out that I should be standing when inserting the site. Also I did return the first pump, because I used the clip (not the holster, the slimmer, less bulky one), and putting that on and off made a crack right around the battery cap. Dont think it would have been a problem, but I called and they said "return it just to be safe" and I got a new one in the mail and sent back the old one. 

I use the Bolus Wizard all the time. Not sure if the Ping has a similar tool.

One thing I wish was included in the Wizard was putting in your carb ratio. You preset your ratios in the Bolus Wizard Settings, ex. 12a- 8a 1:15, and so on. However sometimes I don't use the ratio I've programmed in, and it doesn't ask for that every time in the Wizard, it just uses your BG and Carbs and calculates based on the preset ratio setting. So I've gotten good at division in my head :)

Also wish the Minimed had a general alarm setting on it. Like, a wake-up alarm. When I'm somewhere I don't have an alarm clock and want to get up in the night to test, it would be helpful to be able to set one on the pump. But I don't know if any pumps have that, just something I wish I had.

So glad I started the pump 3 years ago (dxd 4.5 years ago), it has made life a lot easier. Good luck!

[quote user="Amanda"]

I use the Bolus Wizard all the time. Not sure if the Ping has a similar tool.

One thing I wish was included in the Wizard was putting in your carb ratio.

Also wish the Minimed had a general alarm setting on it. Like, a wake-up alarm. When I'm somewhere I don't have an alarm clock and want to get up in the night to test, it would be helpful to be able to set one on the pump. But I don't know if any pumps have that, just something I wish I had.

[/quote]

Input from a Paradigm Revel 523 Minimed Pumper who switched from Animas:

Ping does have something similar to bolus wizard, and you can change your carb ratio during bolusing on it as well.  I'm not sure if it has an alarm clock.  I didn't use it if it did.

The thing is, with the new minimed you can change the carb ratio when bolusing, too.  And the new Minimed pump has an alarm.  I have mine set to go off 4 times a day, and it hasn't missed one yet.  I also have it set to go off 3 hours after each bolus, to make sure it's working.

They are really very similar.

Dan,

I am loving the 723.  However I am having a bunch of lows right now and the numbers need to be adjusted.  I had a massive low at Walmart yesterday and I forgot my name and who I was but something in me told me to eat something so I did.  I was really scared,  something like that hasn't happened since I was a kid.  I'm sure that when the numbers are adjusted everything is going to be great.

I love the minimed I have been on it since 2004 Last year I did have to get a new one cause when I want to rewind it it had a earror and would not go off so I got the minimed 522 paradigm. This time I got pink I am going to get bule next time