Mood Swings

I am new to this forum and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in 1999. I am seeking moral support from people who might be experiencing the same emotions as myself or advice mood swings, frustrations, and irritability. I try to communicate with my spouse who is supportive but don’t think he truly understands what I am going through because of concentrating on his own health needs. I have an appointment tomorrow with my primary care provider and will ask the same questions but need support at this moment.

Hi, Carmaleen, and welcome to TypeOneNation!
Support in the moment is our specialty. :slightly_smiling_face: What’s going on? Moody/frustrated/irritable because your BG is high or low; at dealing with an unrelenting disease; at feeling like your loving spouse nevertheless just doesn’t get it; at nothing and everything? Whatever it is, I guarantee you someone else here can relate….

1 Like

Thank you. My problems is frustration of keeping my blood sugar level, changing my infusion set, keeping track of my carbs, and also changing out the sensor. I know my husband cares but be more supportive of my disease. I am trying to stay positive but it is very hard and hope to find some answers soon I hope.

Truth. It IS hard — and I don’t even have to actually live it. My daughter’s the rock star in our house.

I’m glad you’ve got an appointment in the morning. I hope you hear something helpful. Please post back and let us know how it goes, okay?

1 Like

Hello Carmaleen and welcome to the forum. You touched on issues that I too am battling. My wife suffered a severe stroke 4 years ago, and I am her primary caregiver. Me being a T1D for 58 years makes things difficult to keep myself under control while dealing with her numerous health issues. She has trouble understanding my daily issues on the T1D roller coaster ride and her care falls on me to keep her from regressing and that’s a whole other battle. There doesn’t seem to be anyone in my corner to dust me off, wipe my brow, tell me I’ve got this, and put me back into the fight when things are getting rough. I find myself short tempered, frustrated, burned out, and very tired. I have to take a deep breath and pull myself up by my own boot straps on a regular basis. I find myself dealing with my own and her health issues everyday with no backup, but tomorrow comes again and the issues are still there waiting for us,…round 4, ding, ding. Be strong and know you’re not alone in this situation. If things are getting too much seek professional help to have someone that can give you advise on how to deal with things. You can overcome this.

1 Like

Hi @pumpkin824 - I love your user name by the way! Wishing you all the best at your appointment and I hope your visit is able to help you get back on track. Sometimes seeing a nurse educator (in addition to your physician) can help - I’ve been Type1 since 1963 and see one now and then for a refresher on carb counting and other management tools depending on my needs. I’ve found having a good diabetes tracker is really helpful, so if you’re using one you’re not crazy about shop around for one you really like. There are plenty of apps and sometimes it’s a matter of finding just the right one - and many are free.
Sometimes adjusting basal rates can help - as you may know it’s something we all need to do now and then. I just did a check and it went pretty well - I find that in my case a change of even just 1/10 of a unit up or down can make a big difference. In the past I’ve tried doing it just by fasting, but there are guidelines to follow so check with your doctor to see what those are. I always advise that, as I’m not sure they’re universal so best to go with the ones your doctor uses, and your endo’s guidance if you’re not comfortable adjusting them on your own.
I find those are my biggest factors contributing to keeping my numbers in range, although there are various pump settings you can discuss at your appointment. I found the book *Think Like a Pancreas * very helpful. Gary Scheiner, the author, does not just work in the field of diabetes, he has Type1 as well which gives him a valuable perspective. I found it to be a fun read as well as educational.
I hope those ideas help, and wish you all the best at your visit. As a wise commentor already suggested, you might also find it helpful to get get counseling.
Keep us posted - we care about you.

Hi @pumpkin824 welcome to Type One Nation. I am really glad to hear you are going to talk this over. I’ve had T1 since the late 1970’s and I’m going to state the obvious: it’s a lot of work. When it seems overwhelming, the best thing to do is ask for help. There are a lot of us that suffer burnout and depression, and it takes patience, and for me, therapy to deal with the mental aspects of a long term chronic disease. Talking about it is a very important part of feeling better. I’m glad to meet you and hope you enjoy the forum. :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

@pumpkin824 Welcome Carmaleen to the JDRF TypeOneNation Forum! I’m thinking that you have already been with your Primary Care today; that is a good place to start.

No question about it, diabetes can be a lot of work and sometimes no matter how much effort we put into managing TypeOne it appears that the world - or at least our body - is fighting against us. This can be very depressing and contribute to irritability, confusion and upset.

Your spouse may be more understanding than you realize, but it is probably also true that he [nobody] understands what you are experiencing and know the effort that you expend helping yourself. In my experience, I know that I get really irritable and defensive when my BGL [body glucose level] is low or is dropping and at this time I don’t want to listen to anyone - and I say so. My diabetes began 30 years before the invention of digital BG Meters so there wasn’t anyway to really know how low I was.

Talking with other people who live with diabetes - in person when possible or on this Forum - and expanding your “diabetes knowledge” may help you develop a more develop a more positive outlook knowing that you are not alone in this battle and that you are doing what may help.

My comfort with diabetes and my more positive attitude came about 20+ years ago when my wife [we have been married for 55 years] addressed my upset and frustration by saying “you tried, you thought you had things managed so just forget and remember tomorrow is another day”. Also, now I don’t yell at her saying “I’m not low”, but rather accept her word for that observation and grab something to eat or drink.

Bottom line, talk!

2 Likes

Dennis, Thank you and I went to my primary care doctor yesterday and was able to help me. I got to talk with a counselor and will contact me in a couple of weeks to see how I am doing. The doctor prescribed me a low dosage of antidepressant that will help. I am now receiving some help but it will be a matter of time and help from my spouse. I will keep communicating with others in situations like myself or who are newly diagnosed with diabetes.

1 Like

Thank you and to give everyone on this forum an update I was able to talk with my primary care provider yesterday and linked me up with a counselor whom I was able to address my thoughts and feelings. I also was prescribed medication to address the depression which should help. The counselor is going to contact me again in a couple of weeks to see how I am doing. I am still going to communicate on this forum along with doing other things to help myself. The most important thing I have to remember is that people do care and to keep battling diabetes everyday.

2 Likes

Thank you and I was able to talk to my primary care provider yesterday and also a counselor who will be contacting me in a couple of weeks. I also was prescribed an antidepressant to help with the depression. Right now, I have learned to talk and open up to others and myself and that others care. It is difficult though when your trying to take care of others and neglecting your own self. Hopefully, I can get on the right path but time will tell just keep the faith and see where it leads us. Diabetes is a chronic disease that can be controlled but is an everyday chore. I know it can be tough caring for a child with Type 1 insulin-dependent diabetic but stay strong.

Thank you, I appreciate it!

I’m really glad you got in to see your primary care, and I’m even more glad the antidepressant is helping. I sincerely wish more people would start thinking of the brain as just another body part that sometimes needs medication, same as any other body part. So thank you for talking about it exactly like that here. Posts like yours really help.

Funny, I asked for help today, too. I hurt my back recently, and I have PT I’m supposed to do every day that really helps me. But the kitchen was a wreck, and I automatically started to clean up, before realizing — wait: there are other able-bodied people in this house. And so after my son unloaded the dishwasher, I asked my husband if he would load up the dirty ones, so I could do my PT. Which he was happy to do. Amazing, right? I just needed to ask. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m really going to try to embrace this whole idea that it’s not just okay — it’s affirmatively a good thing to ask for help. :grinning:

2 Likes

Your welcome and since I went to my primary care doctor three days ago and taking medication I have been really mellow. I did have my husband help take the dishes out of the dishwasher and I put them up which was helpful. I hope your back heals and have people to help you. All of us need to ask for help when the time arises that is where I am failing and will do a better job. Thank you and will keep in touch.