Medtronics CGm Vs Dexcon G6 Vs Abbott

Dear All
My 11 years old son diagnosed in Dec/19. We are currently in US and using G6. we are very happy with it. As some point we want to go back to India and recently come to know that Dexcom is closing it’s business India. earlier I was told that they are launching G6 in India and I was very excited, however, closure of their business in India came as big shock. Medtronics and Abbott are in India hence only option i have is Medtronic CGM or Abbott CGM. which one is better? I am not planning to go for Insulin pump for the time being hence looking for only CGM recommmendations…

hello @abhijitekre can I suggest you call both companies, explain to them what your situation is, and ask them if they can set you up to try each one before your trip? Sometimes they will be very helpful. You can also ask Dex if they are not “doing business” in India, does that prevent them from shipping to India? this one may be more difficult to get an answer because the movement of medical supplies in and out of different countries is complex. good luck.

1 Like

I’ve never used Medtronic’s CGM but have used Abbotts Freestyle Libre on occasion and liked it very much. I understand the Libre2 is now out and includes alerts, which are a necessity for me that the original one did not have. However neither one integrates with a pump.
Wishing you all the best.

1 Like

For just a straight up CGM I would not recommend the Medtronic setup. It requires multiple calibrations daily and sometimes some drastic chasing it around. I use the medtronic cgm in conjunction with the 670g pump and I find the hassle worth the results with the auto mode function of the pump. Both the dexcom and Abbott are no calibration required devices. If you are not using a pump as well then I would definitely choose the Freestyle setup if the Dexcom is not an option.

1 Like

You might want to start a thread - or if possible modify your topic of possible (@moderators?) to indicate you are moving to India. It may be more likely to catch the eye of forum members who have been or are there and can let you know what’s available. Wishing you all the best!

You too. Take care. I hope you find what you need.