Lucky Me

I have been fighting against having my wisdom teeth extracted since they first grew in. I am sooo scared of being put to sleep! Im not scared of the pain, its the sleep part thats the issue. So, I wake up this morning (my upper and lower wisdom teeth began bothering me a little yesterday) and I have been in severe, severe pain since....I've never had this problem before. I luckily got in to see an oral surgeon this afternoon and he was like they gotta come out! Anyway, this thursday at 4:45 pm, they come out.

The Doc prescribed me an antibotic already and a pain killer...which I have just taken =/

Like you Wolf, I was told it would be just the one on the lower left side, but its just my luck that all 4 need to come out.

I was told to rinse my mouth with warm salt water (YUCK!), take the pain killer, and chill. Putting a heating pad on my cheek has helped as well. This is nonsense.

So, when Thursday comes...send good vibes my way and then the 13th, I will return the favor! Hope you feel better soon.

im sending you the vibes on the 13th. think about me on the 14th. i need the vibes right back. :)

best wishes to both of you!

I remember when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, all four at once, after they gave me the IV of the anesthetic and I went to sleep, the next thing I remember was asking the doctor when he was going to start pulling my teeth.  He answered, "It's all done."  Being put to sleep like that is incredible.  No wonder Michael Jackson had his own personal anesthesiologist to put him out every night!

defintely makes you appreciate the good days, huh?

well the best thing about days like this is that they end.  so chin up

Thank you. I reread this after the first dose of pain meds wore off...hehe

Alayna,

Just remember if it's Vicodin (hydrocodone+acetaminophen) you're taking, that it's effectiveness in reducing pain decreases significantly the more you take it.  So, what I would do is alternate it with regular Typenol (acetaminophen) or Advil (ibuprophen) by taking the Vicodin mainly at bedtime to help me sleep.  There is also an over-the-counter Tylenol PM which is also quite good for sleeping but, moreso than the Vicodin,  it left me a little sluggish in the morning.

Start sending the good vibes...esp around 8:00 am in the morning!

Good luck tomorrow alayna. Everything will be fine. stock up on soup, puddin, and jello type stuff. :)

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

Just remember if it's Vicodin (hydrocodone+acetaminophen) you're taking, that it's effectiveness in reducing pain decreases significantly the more you take it. 

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it is more you build up a tolerance for Vicodin the longer you take it rather than the more you take the less effective it becomes.

Having broken a tooth leaving an exposed filing with decay around it on 7/29 my dentist recommended taking 2 extra strength tylenols with 2 Ibuprofens for the pain, until i could get in for the crown. The chemical formula of the mixture is very effective for exposed nerves in the mouth.

And believe it or not that combination worked better for the pain than taking my vicodin prescription.

WooHoo goin in in the mornin to get 4 teeth plucked finally. woot woot. i have to fast in 43 min. bleh.

I always hate fasting. Plus then after having dental work you don't feel like eating, but are starving. No fun!

Hey Wolf you said in an old post that you didn't get trained, because of no insurance. Having been without insurance most of my life...call some of your local endos and ask who their diabetic educator/dietician is. Most endo practice provide diabetic education free to their patients. So then call the dietician (who is getting paid a flat fee for the class no matter how many people are there) and explain the no education, no insurance situation you are in. Most times they will invite you to attend for free. then while you are in the class you can ask about things you've heard about on here.

I hope all is well with both of you.  Happy healing : )

Update.   so everything went well today. but because i came in the office drinking water. they were mad and couldnt put me under. i had to do the novacane deal which was hella cool. i still have half a numb mouth and i dont  know when im drooling lol. and the perks are kickin my butt right now. i wouldnt be able to walk a straight line let alone draw one right now if i wanted to.

but im good and thanks for everyones concern. i hope alayna is doin good today. have a good day all.

I hope all goes well with  your recovery.  I was only offered novocaine when my wisdom teeth were pulled, so I went a little overboard with it.  Every time I was asked if I could still feel pain, I answered yes.  It took the whole day for my anesthesia to wear off.  My face was deformed for that whole time, because of the duration of the numbness.  Anyway, I hope ya' feel better soon.

Try drinking out of a straw while your mouth is still numb. its so much fun! i had three cavities last time i was at the dentist so they basically put novaicain in my whole mouth. afterwards i stopped at jamba juice for a smoothie and the whole ride home i had to concentrate really hard on getting my lips to go around the tiny straw. very entertaining.

feel better!

I cannot believe you got through that with just the novacaine! I was put to sleep and I was certainly scared but it turned out ok. Well, sortof...my blood sugar gas been through the roof since I woke up...driving me nuts. Has that happened to you yet? Are your cheeks swollen? Mine are more swollen today more than they were yesterday. I wanted to write and tell you good luck yesterday but I was two sheets to the wind when I got home! hahahahaha! I hope you have good meds to help and keep an ice pack on your cheeks for as long as you can and change your guazes out...Talk soon. Take care.

The codine in Vicodin and Percocet tend to lower your BS (that's what gives you the munchies after 2 to 3 hours) which causes the liver to kick out more glucagon. So if you aren't  use to taking that medication you tend to be sleeping when the BS drops and not wake up until your liver has over compensated.

[quote user="Alayna"]

I cannot believe you got through that with just the novacaine! I was put to sleep and I was certainly scared but it turned out ok. Well, sortof...my blood sugar gas been through the roof since I woke up...driving me nuts. Has that happened to you yet? Are your cheeks swollen? Mine are more swollen today more than they were yesterday. I wanted to write and tell you good luck yesterday but I was two sheets to the wind when I got home! hahahahaha! I hope you have good meds to help and keep an ice pack on your cheeks for as long as you can and change your guazes out...Talk soon. Take care.

[/quote]

haha i was kinda nervous whether or not the novacain would ever wear off. it took til about 4 this afternoon to be fully done. its weird having a paralyzed face. i really didnt like the fact that i couldnt feel my lips or chin. weird feeling. now my face just hurts. im taking the pain meds. but they dont last long. my blood sugar is holding pretty good for me right now. my gums are on fire though....where they stabbed around after doing the novacain to make sure i couldnt feel anything. its those spots that are burning right now. i was done with the gauzes within 3 hours. blood stopped pretty quick. and i cant stop spitting out a little blood everytime now. i know we are not supposed to spit. i cant help it.   take care alayna. i will update you on tomorrows feeling. im not swollen though.