Have you had your wisdom teeth removed?

I had 4 permanent teeth removed as a child so there was room for my wisdom teeth when they can’t in. But I’ve had some do cavities over time, and when I needed in filing in one of my wisdom teeth my dentist said the cavity was so deep I should consider having it removed. They also advised having all 4 removed - so the remaining teeth would shift evenly or something, I don’t recall the exact details.
Anyway, last night I discovered I had lost a filling - there’s a big hole I can feel very easily, and I’ll be calling my dentist today. If he says the tooth must come out (or teeth) I’m trying to prep myself for the aftermath. Of course I’ll call my endo fit instructions on dosing, antibiotics, etc. but I’m wondering for those who had their wisdom teeth removed since they’ve been on insulin, what was it like in the days afterward? Were you able to eat? How long until you were able to return to normal activities (however you define them)? Any tips to ease things?
I’m in the process of upgrading to Control IQ but just started recently so am not there yet. I know it doesn’t do everything for you but I imagine it would be helpful so I’m curious: how is it at adjusting for “trauma” such as surgery - even oral? I understand it adjusts the basal rate for anticipated highs based on some complex algorithms, but I gather that’s based on basic day to day use. If you’ve used it and had surgery how has it worked out for you - did it with well, or did you have to make any manual adjustments? This may be covered in training but I’m not there yet and I am curious. If I do have them out I imagine it will be before I’m on Control IQ so I’m asking out of curiosity. Thanks.

Hi Dorie, I had 4 wisdom teeth removed while diabetic. So for a removal you typically don’t want to chew over stitches. So you go for soft food such as soups, pasta maybe some breads nothing sharp or crunchy. The pain meds don’t do anything to blood sugar, neither do antibiotics, unless you have an infection.

Nope I just bolused for carbs and that’s about it.

I fasted 2 days for a colonoscopy. Fun times. Used it to tune my basal rates.

Hope you feel better

Thanks for sharing - I’m hoping they can just fill it again and everything will be fine from now to eternity (hope springs eternal!) but we shall see. If you don’t mind my asking, how was the healing process?

Well for the lowers they were impacted and I was in pain (for me at 7 of 10 on the opioid scale) 3 days, then managed with Advil and in a week I was pretty good. I couldn’t eat solids for I think the first 2 days. Then I had a follow up and they said to just “go easy”.

The uppers were simple extractions and I was good at day 2. Got my fingers crossed for you if it helps!

Go to the grocery store and buy a bunch of those small bags of frozen peas. They mold onto your face much better than an ice pack. Just keep rotating them when they get warm. This will greatly reduce any swelling the first day after surgery.

1 Like

Enjoyable experience Dorie @wadawabbit! NO, but not as bad as I anticipated. Around 1990, I had three of the four removed to make room for my other teeth - my fourth wisdom tooth is “non-errupted” and would require more invasive procedures to remove so we decided not to push the envelop on developing infection.

Because of my diabetes, the dentist and the oral surgeon [both instructors at the graduate school of medicine] discussed diabetes with me and had me start an antibiotic regimen about a week before the removal; playing it safe. The most pain I remember was as the surgery numbing wore off and I think that all I needed to take was Advil after the first pain-killer tablet I took the first day.
This was before I began using a pump, and I continued using my long-lasting Humulin-N without changing dosage at night and bolused with Humulin-R for the carbs I had for meals. Yes, I had mostly heavy-body soups [slightly warmed and not too hot] for a day or two.

Good luck with your extractions. Be sure to rinse your mouth thoroughly several times every day and especially after eating - until well after stitches are removed.

Dorie, another thought.
If Control IQ has not yet made itself familiar with your body, it may be worth waiting until after your extractions to begin. Control IQ spends the first few weeks studying the user’s body and how it reacts to insulin and food.

Thanks for this comment and the one above. I really speciation all your suggestions - if I have to have it done I will definitely be looking into antibiotics, and checking with my endo to see if I should make any adjustments or “play it by ear.” The few times I’ve had procedures requiring painkillers they made me so sick on the stomach I couldn’t rest; thankfully Advil and Aleve have airways worked well for me.
Thanks also for the tips about waiting until I’m done before starting CIQ. From your previous posts and others I’ve read - not to mention the pdf materials you suggested I start, I figured I should wait. Am still waiting to hear back from my initial “application.”
Dentist is at 8am. I guess I’ll know in a few hours what’s what!

Well so far I’ve dodged a bullet. The dentist could only see me briefly - as they told me when I made the appt - but he said it just looked like part of the filling had come out and could be fixed. They put in a temporary and I have a return visit to get the permanent one done. There is a very large filling in that tooth so it remains to be seen if he does recommend a root canal - I’ll find out in a couple of weeks.
Thanks everybody!

2 Likes

I’ve had a wisdom tooth removed. And it will be a little painful and swelling after but it’s ok. Nothing atrocious. Also. Don’t let them take out teeth that don’t need to be removed. They will push because it’s free money. But don’t do it. You may need em later. As you saw the mouth changes and decays.

Thanks for the reassurance. I’ve heard various things from people - although none recent now that I think about it so perhaps there have been some helpful advances. I have my temporary filling for the next week or so, and am hoping I’ll be able to leave this world with the ones I was born with. Hoping for the best! Thanks.

It sounds like mental relief, and a physical reprieve already came your way. However, if you require the 4 teeth you mentioned being pulled in the future, my reassurance is that my wisdom teeth extraction at least went very quickly. I was worried about the length of time it would take, even though at that point I wasn’t in need of such tight glucose control. Lowering my basal and running my glucose slightly higher was sufficient and not detrimental. It was a long time ago, yet I consulted with my endo, had my guard dog mom at the ready, adjusted my insulin per my endo, and alerted surgical staff about my glucose/insulin/sensor needs, etc. And for the less great news, yet know that I had rarely been in pain and my thresh hold is low, for me, it was incredibly painful to recover from. The prescription pain medication didn’t seem to affect me at all. It was really painful and I certainly didn’t “sleep for days” as mentioned would happen with the pain meds. For that, in hindsight, I could have called the clinic and shared that problem. My mom kept going to get me KFC mashed potatoes and gravy as that was all I seemed to want. As others mentioned, maybe have some kind of soft, no chewing food available that will also help with your stomach with not getting upset with the meds. And for the biggest yay, everything seems fine over a decade later. If it comes to it, good luck!

Thanks so much @mamamaegs. All is well now but you never know. After the 4 permanent teeth I had removed when I was a child I was hoping to keep the rest but I recently had to get a crown on a different tooth and how long it will last is questionable (long story) so I might get some practice should I have to get the wisdoms removed. We shall see.
Thanks again for sharing!

Hi friends. It’s official - I have to have my wisdom teeth pulled and go for a consult with an oral surgeon next week. Knowing I’ll be sedated is reassuring but I’m wondering about the recovery afterwards. My most recent dental procedures have been root canals under nitrous oxide and those were a while ago - there were any big recovery issues, I just took it easy; and I’ve had a couple of other surgeries but they were a long time ago. Just trying to get an idea what to expect as far as recovery and after care, not even necessarily related to my blood sugars. I’m sure it varies but how long until you were able to do for yourself at home, and what kind of help did you need and for how long? Thanks.

If they were anything like mine, @wadawabbit , the bottoms really hurt and are sore for a week. The tops, not so much. I didn’t get any post op infections so the recovery was straight forward.

Good to know - thanks for sharing!

Mine was a super simple recovery. Didn’t have any infections after. Blood sugar was a little elevated for a couple of days because they gave me a steroid to take. I was fully functioning 2 days after- day 1 I felt really nauseous but other than that smooth sailing! Have lots of soft foods on hand :slight_smile:

Thanks so much @Tee25 . I’m hopeful mine will go just as well. We’re getting to “soup weather” so I’ll stock up!

Not sure when you’ll have yours removed, but I’m having 3 removed. I had one upper wisdom tooth removed many years ago. I’ve been told to go ahead and have it done for years. No cavities or trouble, but I work a lot at dental cleaning. I’d rather do it before I have a problem.

I had my consult with an oral surgeon today. A tech took x-rays and when I asked how far out they we scheduling the tech said it could be done as soon as next week. The dentist cane in a little later and looked over my paperwork which included my my history - and said they would only be able to do 2 teeth (one side) at a time since I wouldn’t be under general anesthesia. Say what? Ah no, let’s correct that. I know people who have used local only but due to my anxiety re dentists stemming from childhood, they were going to have to knock me out - that’s the reason my dentist referred me. She told me that out of concern for my health - due to my diabetes and the fact that I take medication fur blood pressure, they would have to use local only - and I would have to go through the procedure twice, “smart pump” CIQ or not. She recommended I have it done at a hospital of I wanted all 4 done at a time and one of the two she recommended is the one where my doctors have their offices - including my endo. So tomorrow I’ll be calling the hospital to see about arranging for the procedures there. At least they have all my records and my endo is on staff but what a pain…