Low carb snacks for high blood sugars

When I have a high blood sugar, I get really hungry. The problem is that I can’t really have anything with high carbohydrates. Does anyone else have this problem? I am really sick of having the same old cheese sticks and carrots. Does anyone have any of their favorite, tasty, low carbohydrate snacks that you could share with me?

1 Like

Almonds are one of my fave low-carb snacks! They’re super healthy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Although carrots seem like they might be a nice snack, I wouldn’t have them when you are high. They have about 8 grams per quarter cup.

1 Like

Ok thanks for letting me know. Do you have any snacks you would recommend?

1 Like

My favorite snacks when I am high are pickles, ham and cheese sticks. I get hungry when high, too.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I eat these cheese snacks called Cello Whisps. They are just baked cheese so they are good and low carb! I love the crunch on these and they satisfy the crunch cravings I get. They are a little pricey, but I got them at Costco and they were better priced then anywhere else I have found. I stocked up and have plenty for when I need a crunchy snack with very few carbs. Something like 22-24 crisps have 1 carb and they are high in protein. Check them out. They have about 5 flavors including Parmesan, Cheddar, Pepper Jack, Tomato Basil, and BBQ Bacon. I like all of the ones I have tried so far. Hope this helps. :smile:

6 Likes

This helps so much! Thank you.

My son (7) likes Powerade Zero or Gatorade Zero as drink when active. These are relatively new. Califlour Foods has crackers that are next to nothing that can liven up your cheese and sausage. It’s cheaper to order online and they have low carb pizza crusts too. We also struggle with low/no carb foods and our son can get sick of meats and cheeses. He likes water flavoring too.

3 Likes

These are such good suggestions. I can totally relate to struggling with low/no carb foods. This helps so much, thank you.

Hi. I buy my daughter the starkest tuna in the pouch, I also buy her teriyaki beef jerky in the individual pouch servings, smart balance white cheddar popcorn in the individual bags. I buy all of them on Amazon as they are less expensive in bulk. I also keep sliced English cucumbers (aka hot house) cucumbers in the fridge for her. It is definitely a challenge. I hope this helps.

3 Likes

Yes this helps. Thanks. I am always in search of new low carb snacks.

I am personally a fan of sugar free jello in the little plastic cups they range from 0 to 4 carbs at my grocery store

2 Likes

Those sound really good. Thank you.

KNOW cookies, Quest bars, things with low “net carbs!”

2 Likes

Great! I have never heard of them, I will check them out.

My daughter likes slices mini cucumbers with a sprinkle of salt. 1 cuke is only about 50g, so only 2 carbs. Same for about 25g of snap peas. Boars Head makes great cheese and salami or cheese and prosciutto rolls ups. Pricey but delish and a nice fancy cheese & meat upgrade.

2 Likes

Celery with peanut butter inside, strips of red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, walnuts or almonds, “bubble water” A soda stream machine has been fabulous because I get terribly thirsty when high. A big glass of fizzy water, then I ride my stationary bike and read a book. (As long as I have some insulin on board) Distraction helps me.

1 Like

Seaweed, chiccarones (fried pork rinds)

1 Like

I am very proud of you! We pre-bolus 30 minutes and do a 10% basal increase for an hour, eat a moderate carb snack as you well know, when the high hunger strikes, no carb foods just doesn’t seem to satisfy.

1 Like