Losing optimisim

Hi I’m new to this site but I’ve been having trouble expressing myself to people who aren’t diabetic lately so thought I would give it a shot. I’ve been diabetic since age 11 and I always try to look at the bright side or think it could always be worse but lately it’s been really hard to keep up the positive attitude. I don’t wanna have a pity party but lately it’s been hard to even get out of bed. Does anyone else go through these emotional lows? What helps you break this sad cycle

Hi @Jessicamarie2,

I am so sorry you are feeling down lately. Of course we all have those ups and downs. We are human! Living with a chronic health condition at times can be extremely difficult. But, think of this way we are more aware of our health and in turn take better care of ourselves because of it.

I try to stay positive by keeping myself busy. It was harder before I had my son but, now it’s pretty easy to stay busy with a toddler LOL Walks used to help me a lot. I’d just turn on my music and start walking…

Are you having a hard time because people just don’t get the day to day you live with, or is it that they are judging you?

What you’re experiencing is normal. Diabetes is relentless and doesn’t give you a break.

I struggled with this more when I was young. My feelings seemed like a bigger deal. As I’ve gotten older I realize that feelings come and go but they don’t really impact reality. I can feel rich or poor even though the balance of my bank account is the same.

That doesn’t mean you should ignore your feelings, but you shouldn’t let them rule you either. It never helped me to feel lucky to have diabetes rather than some worse condition. It helped me to live well with diabetes.

Find the things you love and go out and live your life. Live well with diabetes and you will realize it’s just one part of you. It’s a part of you that makes you amazingly tough and cool too.

I just finished reading this older book that’s really great. See if you can find it at a library. It’s an autobiography called “Joni” by Joni Eareckson. She became paralyzed after a diving accident and talks about the mental and spiritual journey she goes through. She and her husband have written a more recent book called “Ken and Joni: An Untold Love Story” that is another good read. Both are awesome stories of encouragement.

Take care. -Jenna, type 1 for 37 years (yikes I’m old!)

Hi @Jessicamarie2 !
I concur with what everyone else on this page is saying, this is totally normal and I’m sure all diabetics (myself included) know the EXACT feeling that you’re talking about. I know that knowledge in itself won’t necessarily help you feel better, but there is some comfort in knowing that it’s something that comes with the disease. I’ve recently just got through one of my “burnout” periods, which was pretty bad. My hopelessness led to really bad bloodsugar control, and I shudder to think about what my A1C was during that time… Something that I’ve found that really helps me is bonding with other diabetics that you may know. Wether it be venting with a friend face to face, or connecting with people online. It sounds corny, but being around other diabetics almost gives you a sense of “diabetes pride” (which is what my friends and I call it) and definitely motivates you to take better care of yourself. It doesn’t sound like the most original advice, but it has helped me come through some of my most frustrating times with diabetes. Venting, and even finding humor, with other diabetics is for sure the best therapy I have ever found for dealing with this! I would be happy to vent with you any time :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for your advice and kind words I really appreciate it :heart: