Looking for a place to learn more

Hi! I'm brand new to this sight and have a couple of questions. I am looking for any type of conferences, workshops, etc. to go to to learn more about type 1. My son goes to a school where there have been no diabetics as long as anyone can remember. We also fon't know anyone with this condition.  Where can I find information on upcoming events? We are willing to travel. Also we applied for Children's Congress but I don't think we will get it. Thanks in advance for any help.

your local JDRF chapter in louisiana can help you with information. they might even offer some support groups or local meetings where you can meet up with others who have diabetes or who have children with diabetes. if you go to the "groups" tab and then "local jdrf chapters" you should be able to find something.

there is also an organization called TCOYD (taking control of your diabetes) that holds nationwide conferences throughout the year. i recently attended one here in iowa and thought it was pretty much amazing. i made lots of friends and learned a lot of information - even after 21 years of diabetes :o) their website is http://tcoyd.org

good luck :o) let us know if there's anything else we can do to help you out.