Jogging

My 15 year old son wants to go jogging and doesn't want to carry diabetic supplies with him.  He was diagnosed 2 years ago. (He wears a pump which usually comes out when he sweats.) I suggested a fanny-pack but he's not interested.  Also suggested cargo shorts with lots of pockets.  Nothing I say seems to be the right thing.  If he's jogging and exercising does he really need to carry glucometer, etc.  Maybe just some candy??  Would love to hear what others his age do or suggestions from other parents as well.

[quote user="Barbara Nobile"]

My 15 year old son wants to go jogging and doesn't want to carry diabetic supplies with him.  He was diagnosed 2 years ago. (He wears a pump which usually comes out when he sweats.) I suggested a fanny-pack but he's not interested.  Also suggested cargo shorts with lots of pockets.  Nothing I say seems to be the right thing.  If he's jogging and exercising does he really need to carry glucometer, etc.  Maybe just some candy??  Would love to hear what others his age do or suggestions from other parents as well.

[/quote]

I've always used a fanny pack.  Is he not interested because they are out of style or something?  I know they aren't "cool" now, but they're very convenient to have.

Anyhow, whether or not he wants to bring his supplies with him depends primarily on how long he wants to jog and how jogging affects his sugars.  If his sugars are affected by the jogging and he needs to bring some mix of supplies with him, perhaps a small backpack might work?  Or is he against that also?

Thank you so much, Khendra, for your reply.  I'm new to this whole Juvenation thing and so it's nice to know that my post wasn't out somewhere far away in  cyberspace

I did suggest back pack also and he was against that suggestion also.  He usually takes the backpack everywhere but all of a sudden he's rebelling. I don't know what might be just plain mood swings from being a teenager at 15 and where the affects of the diabetes comes into play.  We have used a fanny pack in the past and it was very cool looking from the Gap.  I try telling him that people use backpacks to carry their things even when they don't have diabetes.

It seems to be that lately he is going out more now with friends and he is the only one that has to carry a bag.  He wants to be free which, unfortunately, he can't be.

I am, however, trying to convince him to join Juvenation just to read what other teens are writing about too.  Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks so much.

I had the same thing about fanny packs. It's not so much that they are out of style, they just aren't very functional. Plus, they bounce!

What I ended up doing was getting a really little pouch designed for roller-bladers and wrapping it around my ankle. It's just big enough to hold my meter and a tube of glucose tabs. People usually don't even notice it!

Good for your son for wanting to get out there and be active!

i ran consistently until 4-5 years ago. i'll be honest - i never took anything with me except water. i always checked my BGs before i went and ate a snack if i needed. i tied my car keys/house keys to my shoelaces and stuck my cell phone in my pocket, but that was it. when i ran, i stuck to public areas so if i ran into trouble there would be businesses and people around i could ask for help. sometimes i would run with my dad or my sister, but most of the time i was out by myself.

now, when i bike ride, i carry a little camel back that has extra pockets in it. i carry around my meter, cell phone, juice, glucose tabs, and chapstick.

i'm sure he's going through a teenage-rebellious phase. if you can at least convince him to take a phone with him, you might feel safer. he will learn to be responsible for himself. eventually he will see the reason in taking his gear with him, but for now he wants to go out and run like all the other 'normal' kids do. pretty soon he'll realize his health is more important than trying to be just like everyone else. give him some time to learn and adjust.

I don't know if you'll be able to talk him into this either (teens are stubburn... I certainly was!), but there are very cool "fanny packs" nowadays.  Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Shadow-Runners-Pack-Black/dp/B002PDESD0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1280434739&sr=1-6  Very streamlined.  There are also some little velcro wrist packs that are meant to hold the energy "gels."

If I were jogging, I'd keep a meter and some glucose on me...  That could easily fit into a slim pack like that one on amazon.  Oh, and I'd wear some kind of medical ID.

If nothing else, I'd get him to carry candy or glucose in a pocket.  That's such a simple request and could so easily save his life.

Grrreat suggestion.  I feel better already knowing I have some new ideas for him.  Thank you!!!

Great ideas for me.  He always wears the diabetic dog tag...thank God.

I will show him the "runner's-Pack" and purchase it if he thinks he'll use it.  Thank you so very much!

Hi Barbara!

I've been known to run - althought I haven't done it lately.  I did my first half-marathon in May of this year.  Here's what I used (which I think is similar to what Elizabeth already suggested):  http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0339062534818&Click=282&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0339062534818  I didn't buy it from this website; I found it at a local sporting goods store.  I was able to carry my CGM receiver, 3-4 Clif Gels, lip balm, my cell phone, and a tube of glucose tabs.  It doesn't stick out as far as a traditional fanny pack, and it didn't jostle around, either.

Here are some past threads about running (you may want to check out the Diabetic Athletes and Exercise and Fitness groups under the "Groups" tab), in case these help you:

http://juvenation.org/groups/diabetic_athletes/forum/p/5942/68838.aspx#68838

http://juvenation.org/groups/diabetic_athletes/forum/p/5917/66768.aspx#66768

http://juvenation.org/forums/p/6539/69014.aspx#69014

http://juvenation.org/groups/diabetic_athletes/forum/p/1756/12676.aspx#12676

I know there are several people on Juvenation who run regularly, so I hope they'll chime in too, with what works for them.  Good luck!

I have to admit, I can't run for more than 2 or 3 blocks. But when I go on a walk, I always bring some sort of sugar just in case. What if I got really low and no one was home or something? But, I have to admit, I don't bring a meter. If I'm not sure if I'm low, I'll eat a little something just in case. I also check before I leave.

I run a couple of times a week hopefully to increasing to 3x a week!

I don't carry a meter or snack or anything.  I test before I run and plan my BS strategically.  If I'm going to run in the afternoon I'll take a little less insulin.  Then I test before I run.  If I'm under 200 I have a snack first and then run. I test again when I get home and snack if needed.   I usually run between 2.7 and 4 miles on the roads around my house. 

I do carry my cell phone and drivers license and of course wear a medical alert necklace.

Thank you ALL so much for the great info you shared with me. I will pass it on to my son.  It's nice to know there are so many people out there that are willing to help when these things up come. 

Have a great weekend!