Job questions?

I am having to change my career because of diabetes.(try finding diabetic steel toed shoes). I am thinking of two choices. I like playing with computers and have been told I should do it, by people in the flied. On the other hand there's medical, I am very good with that also, I have been asked why I am not a Dr.. I would like to hear what other people think. Thanks All!!!    

I have a career in IT. I like it and it's diabetes friendly. I get to travel and stuff....do you have a degree or any certifications?

ok- first I have to ask why regular steel toe shoes don't work? (Or is that just a humorous way to say there are other limits from diabetes that don't let you work construction or mfg?)

Anyway - DO WHAT YOU LOVE. But medical technology keeps getting increasingly complex and integrated with computer technology - so it would be fairly easy to find something that combines both. Are you thinking you will go back to school?

Nursing is also a good field - and always a demand for nurses.  Good luck and follow your heart!

[quote user="Pat"]

I have a career in IT. I like it and it's diabetes friendly. I get to travel and stuff....do you have a degree or any certifications?

[/quote]

I will be going to school. The people I've met in IT are always surprised with the amount of knowledge I have, for no training. Me make computer go fast LOL

Computers is a great field.  Most jobs have health insurance too which is a plus.  I'd recommend getting in on the vendor/consulting side as opposed to an IT department at a large company.  Those people work crazy hours and a lot of weekends etc.

Have fun.

[quote user="JDVsMom"]

ok- first I have to ask why regular steel toe shoes don't work? (Or is that just a humorous way to say there are other limits from diabetes that don't let you work construction or mfg?)

Anyway - DO WHAT YOU LOVE. But medical technology keeps getting increasingly complex and integrated with computer technology - so it would be fairly easy to find something that combines both. Are you thinking you will go back to school?

Nursing is also a good field - and always a demand for nurses.  Good luck and follow your heart!

[/quote]

Use to be a machine mech. Safety shoes have always been a problem for me. I use to get white spots on my feet from pressure. I have been informed, that now being diabetic, this is bad.

[quote user="DDrumminMan"]

Computers is a great field.  Most jobs have health insurance too which is a plus.  I'd recommend getting in on the vendor/consulting side as opposed to an IT department at a large company.  Those people work crazy hours and a lot of weekends etc.

Have fun.

[/quote]

Microsoft cert. or cisco??? what's better or both?? I already build my own computers, just set up dual monitors. Can't believe how I got along without them.

try the apple store?

[quote user="Gina"]

try the apple store?

[/quote]

Aren't apple's pc's now LOL