Jobs and Diabetes...Help!

I am a senior undergrad student getting ready to head out into "the real world." Since being diagnosed with type 1 last January, I have been lucky enough to work almost as needed in situations that are in a more casual situation (such as babysitting and running my own photography business). I am somewhat concerned about what working a full time job with diabetes will be like.

Right now, I am on the OmniPod and checking my blood sugars 8 or so times a day. I will more than likely not be in a 9-5 office situation where I can easily check my blood sugar, grab a snack, or take a break. My job will be on my feet and on the go.

My question to you all in a similar situation is, how do you manage working with diabetes? How do you tell your potential boss about your needs?

Thanks!!

Emily-

Yikes! The real world!  Welcome to the big leagues, my friend! ;)

Seriously, though, you'll be fine.  I have never been in an office situation, and manage ok.  I work in an early education center, so I am on my feet all day, literally chasing small children around.  I love it, but it does make D care challenging sometimes.  I have to lock my purse up, but I have a smaller bag (like a big coin purse or small cosmetic bag) that has my meter, strips, lancets, and glucose.  This goes with me everywhere!  A low plus trying to wrangle 4 or 5 one year olds does not mix!

I also recently got a CGM, which helps me feel more comfortable (when it's working properly).  Your basals may need to be adjusted once you start your job and see what it does to your bs.  If you are seeing a lot of low, definitely talk to your endo.

I'm lucky, in that my boss is amazing!  I wouldn't bring up your D in a job interview-- it's none of their business.  If they hire you, than you may need to have a conversation with your boss about it.  Be as honest as you feel like you can be.  Yes, D can affect small day to day aspects of your job, but it won't affect your overall performance.  Plus, we are protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act, so you shouldn't have to worry about being treated unfairly.

I know it's overwhelming, but being a grown-up does have its perks.  Good luck!

My husband also is out in the field all day and used to have so many problems with being stuck without time to do what he needed to do in regards to his diabetes. Without a regular lunch schedule and sometimes being in the middle of a job (he is an Elevator Mechanic) - not convenient. BUT we had to make it work somehow, right. He too, has gotten a CGM so he has a warning or can easily access an estimated number if he does not feel right and I had picked up a small bag that he can wear around his waist (yes, an old fashion "fanny pack", lol) that holds, tablets and his blood tester and a small Sunny Delight. We pick up the Sunny Delight at Costco- they are the perfect size for a small bag. Obviously being a female, you can go a little more fashionable with bag of your choice but NEVER go out on the job without it. Treat it like a tool for your job. He's a really brittle diabetic and it literally has been a life (and job) saver for him. Good luck in your search, you will do great- I'm sure!!! :) 

You'll be totally fine, especially with a pump.  Don't mention anything about having D until after you're hired, then sometime in your first week be sure to tell your boss and close co-workers that you have type 1 and may need to occasionally check blood or treat a low. 

Keep extra glucose tabs at your desk, purse, etc.  And if you feel low, just be sure to treat ASAP.  Don't be shy about excusing yourself from a meeting to take care of it.  Occasionally if I have a stressful meeting or know I'll be someplace where I can't leave, I'll purposefully run a little high to give a cushion. 

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice! I appreciate it so much :-)

I worked for years in normal jobs and it was always fine. I just went back to school/ trianing in the hospital and was REALLY afraid. I just keep things with me in pockets and you can always eat something while working. Keep a small purse with you and check every so often. It might not make sense now but once you get a job it all works out. There are usually refridgerators to keep juice or food in too. It worked out for me in the hospital situation so far. Good luck! Dont bring up D in interviews unless you think it would help you, then after you get the job if you feel comfortable you might want to let a few people know.

For the past 8 months I have been working with children with autism. I go to the families home and work individually with the child. This summer I did a lot of walking and physical activity with one child I work with and at first I had a really hard time getting used to it. Working with any children is kind of hard, but children with autism don't often give you time to yourself, I barely get to use the bathroom when I need to. 

What I would do was carry a little backpack that had my meter and any time of easy food that I could carry around and wouldn't get in the way of work. The only thing I can really tell you is you need to make time for yourself, no matter what you are doing. It's going to be hard at first but you'll get into a routine and figure out what works and what doesn't!

Good luck!!!

I'm a PTA (physical therapist assistant) and I work 10-hour shifts in a clinic. I'm on a schedule and see a different patient every 30 minutes from 7:30-noon and 1-6. it's definitely challenging at times, especially when i'm dropping quickly, but I've never had any serious problems. I also didn't mention my diabetes in my job interview, but that was because I got hired 3 months after I was diagnosed, so I was a little lost. I taught my coworkers how to use the glucagon syringe just in case. I've been there for 2.5 years now and they are getting more comfortable with me checking myself and ask questions about my pump and sensor. It's definitely possible to work in the "real world" with diabetes!

I went from highschool + part-time job, to two full-time jobs + one class 5days a week, to a full-time job + a part-time job and two evening classes a week, to working two part-time jobs (averaged two shifts a day 6days a week) and school 4hours 5days a week, while at the same time managing my diabetes. on top of that, i was out at the bar about 3x or more a week the entire three-ish years I was working/going to school like that..all my jobs have been on my feet, customer service, mad crazy except for the last part-time job i had (which after schooling, lead to my 9-5 job). i now work a full-time job, do photography on the weekends, work on a very casual basis with another position at my work, all on top of regular life stuff. (still on MDI, no pump, no CGM)

honestly, i can't imagine doing it any other way now.

once you start doing it, it'll be like second nature and you'll forget what it was like before the "real world". everyone has their own "tricks" to dealing with this or that, you'll figure out what works for you pretty quick!

just take a deep breathe and take the leap. don't tell them til after they have hired you that you have Diabetes, i usually wait until my second or third day working and stress the fact that it's not likely to affect my work but once in a while i might need to stop when it's not my break time to eat or test.

What does it mean to be a "brittle diabetic?"

[quote user="acousticmelo"]

[/quote]

here's what and when I've heard the term used in the last little while:

its sometimes used to describe someone who has unexplained/wild/inconsistent blood sugar swings (both high and low). It is sometimes used to describe someone who is "non-compliant".  it is sometimes used to describe someone who has a lot of insulin resistance with respect to the average.  it is sometimes used as an all-encompassing description for "I have no idea why that just happened".  and once in a while it is used to describe someone who has no "hypo awareness".   

regarding the original post,  I work odd hours, in different time zones, travel by flying to different countries, work both behind a computer and in/on industrial construction sites.  it takes 5 secondes to do a bs test, I have a pump so it takes another 5 to do a correction and with a good basal rate, I don't have to eat meals at all or if I choose to it doesn't have to be at regular times.  I carry glucose when I am on a scaffold or down in tunnels unless I know there's a coke machine up/down there too.  with planning and some good tools, you can do whatever it is you want to do excpet maybe drive a bus or become a commerical pilot.    good luck! 

[quote user="Joe"]

[quote user="acousticmelo"]

[/quote]

here's what and when I've heard the term used in the last little while:

its sometimes used to describe someone who has unexplained/wild/inconsistent blood sugar swings (both high and low). It is sometimes used to describe someone who is "non-compliant".  it is sometimes used to describe someone who has a lot of insulin resistance with respect to the average.  it is sometimes used as an all-encompassing description for "I have no idea why that just happened".  and once in a while it is used to describe someone who has no "hypo awareness".   

[/quote]

Thank you! That is kind of what I thought but I just wanted to make sure.

I'm not type 1 (my son is) but my perspective on this is that most women carry some personal items to work - your meter, strips, etc are all in a small case and you can throw some glucose tabs in there for an emergency.

Many people check their phones 8 or more times a day and spend more than 5 secs doing that each time - so checking your BG is not taking you away from your work, any more than they are by doing that.

Congrats on finishing your degree soon and entering the real world. (I've been done with college for 10 yrs and I still feel like I am only 'playing' adult most of the time).

Your condition is covered under ADA (american with disabilities act) and your employer has to provide a reasonable acomidation for you to beable to care for your Type 1. Talk to them about what you need and convey that you want to do your job, you're not looking for a free pass, and there is no reason they shouldn't be able to give you what you need to be sucessful at both your job and your type 1 control. 

I am a PHR (professional in human resources) and if you need any suggestions on how to work with your employer let me know. I work on the employer side all the time. 

You don't have to tell your potential boss.  I told mine current boss in the interview though, because I simply needed to know I'd be able to make it to a doctor's appointment during the first three months of employment, before I would be able to use any leave.  I presented it as "No big deal, it doesn't affect my work, it just means I have a doctor's appointment every three months."  Turns out she's a type 2, so she couldn't care less and said she'd make sure I could go to my appointment.

On the job, you still don't have to tell anyone... But it's smart to make sure someone knows.  I told the person I work most closely with, and was like, "So I might have to take insulin if I'm high or eat candy if I'm low and spacy."  At which point, she was like, "I ALWAYS have jolly ranchers.  So if you're acting weird, should I give you some of those?"

Everyone's figured it out by now, because I've had lunch with the whole group and really don't care about hiding my meter or my pump.  It's cool.  The other day at someone's baby shower, I was bolusing to have a cupcake and one of them was like, "Watch out, Elizabeths getting ready for like FIVE cupcakes!"  It's a very goofy office where people razz each other a lot, so I thought it was cool that don't feel like it's a taboo subject.