Jobs for diabetes

Hey all! I wanted to hear everyone's ideas on what kind of jobs are out there dealing with diabetes? I know we need doctors, and the diabetic educators but what else is there? I am trying to decide on a career path and I need some ideas.

Hello :)

I am an RN and I have actually been looking into getting a job with Medtronic. I had a nurse who came to my house and trained me how to use my pump and CGM. She said it was the greatest job ever! Just an idea :) You may also want to think about Nutritionist or Dietician both great jobs!

Be an Auditor. Very diabetes focused :P

Groups like JDRF have some paid administrative positions -- you could check their websites to get an idea of what they have. (If you don't want to do med or nursing school)

Biomedical Engineering!

dietitian!

I initially thought of doing this too, but I felt like most were science-related careers and I'm terrible at science haha Plus I try to keep diabetes and work separate so no discrimination takes place

Medical device designer!

PDI (Product Design and Innovation), HCI (Human Computer Interaction), Consumer Insights and User Research  could all possibly lead to this kind of career.

It isn't necessarily technical. You could be the person who thinks about what it's like to have Diabetes (or a heart condition, or a broken ankle, or whatever) and decides how best a device could meet the user's needs.

Interface designers and consumer insight/research groups are the people who decided that getting voicemail shouldn't be through some awful touchphone menu, but rather through a list where you can pick which message you want to hear first (like on iphone or android phones). They're the people who decided that lancets should come in a barrel so you don't have to keep putting in a new lancet all the freaking time:) 

Product marketing for a medical device company or drug company.

You get to talk with doctors, nurses, and patients to figure out what a product needs to do and then you talk to the engineers who actually design it. It is really fun. (That's what I do.) I also have degrees in biomedical engineering. But marketing is what rocks and it isn't just cool ads.

I wish I had the smarts to participate in research and contribute :(

You could go the route of Public Health. through Law, Education, Marketing, or Medicine  just to name a few

While you are looking for a job you can earn money babysitting for children who have type 1 diabetes. Try the Safesittings.com website to sign up and and hopefully you'll find something in your area.

[quote user="Nancyross"]

While you are looking for a job you can earn money babysitting for children who have type 1 diabetes. Try the Safesittings.com website to sign up and and hopefully you'll find something in your area.

[/quote]

Nancy, you should post a separate message about that website. How cool! I'm sure a lot of parents and teens on here would be interested...

[quote user="Sarah"]

[quote user="Nancyross"]

[/quote]

Nancy, you should post a separate message about that website. How cool! I'm sure a lot of parents and teens on here would be interested...

[/quote]

That would be great as a part time thing.. but what would she do about insurance?

Meghann, the poster is new to the site, so she probably just didn't know to click on the person's link to check her age, that she's an adult...

Well, baby sitting diabetic youths would look good on a resume for someone interested in working at a Diabetes Camp or getting training as CDE. Or just plain rewarding if you like kids!

And adults can figure out their own insurance. Let's not knock ideas because we don't think they are "theoretically feasible"... ;)

[quote user="John"]

Well, baby sitting diabetic youths would look good on a resume for someone interested in working at a Diabetes Camp or getting training as CDE. Or just plain rewarding if you like kids!

And adults can figure out their own insurance. Let's not knock ideas because we don't think they are "theoretically feasible"... ;)

[/quote]

All I did was ask what she would do about insurance. I hardly think that counts as "knocking an idea." Just saying.