JDRF walk needs Juvenation table!

Okay so my family team walked yesterday in Richmond, VA.  There was a table for the Central Virginia Chapter of JDRF, one for Minimed, One Touch, Omnipod, Anthem, and maybe one or two others. 

BUT

There was no table for Juvenation!  I talked to a few people about it, and they were like whatever.  That's not cool!  If you are doing a local walk, see if we can set up an info table for Juvenation! 

Do it!!!

i couldn,t agree with you more!  I have just taken over the role of one of three coordinators of my local JDRF's support group.  At our first meeting, tomorrow evening, we will be presenting a few interesting websites - Juvenation is definitely tops on the list!

This totally seems like a no brainer!

I have a walk coming up in May and I hope they have a table.  I would be willing to volunteer at the table before and after the walk!

Kathie,

Please keep me updated on this...  I am involved in the organization of four walks in my area, taking place in May and June every year.  I think it would be great to have a Juvenation table too.  If there is one at your walk, please let me know what they have on it, etc.

Hey! First of all, thank you SO MUCH for supporting our Walk. I am with the JDRF Chapter and the walk.  We are so glad that you came out for the day!  We hear you and will make sure to include information on Juvenation, among other important connection/media outlets for families living with diabetes.  We are working hard to connect families, be a resource for you, AND help find a CURE!!

Thanks for your support!

Gina had made a poster/brochure thing a while back that you could print out to advertise Juvenation. This could work at a table if anyone still has it...

http://juvenation.org/forums/t/2573.aspx

This link will take you to the poster Gina made a while back.

[quote user="Kathie"]I would be willing to volunteer at the table before and after the walk![/quote]

You should call the chapter and ask them for a table explaining what you want to do.

Our local Walk here is in September, and I was just about to shoot off an email to the local Events Coordinator to ask if they were planning to have a Juvenation table (I'm guessing no, but who knows...), and if not, volunteer myself to do one.  I've found very few people on this site that are in Nebraska, and I wonder if it's just a matter of exposure/attention. 

For anyone who might know:  If I do a table, would the chapter provide me materials of any kind, or would I be printing stuff off on my own?  I envision myself standing behind a card table with a hand-drawn sign, trying to look legit...  

hm i never thought about that when i went to the walk here on sunday. there wasn't a table either.

like kim said, i'd be willing to man a table if the chapter supplied the material.

but maybe they don't have the extra money to do that? doesn't jdrf have to buy the prizes it gives away at the walks?

To my knowledge, prizes are "gifts" from companies that donate them - JDRF does not buy them.  Same for the food and drinks - it's all donated.

I really wouldn't mind using my own moo-lah to get some stuff printed for it if the chapter doesn't have something already, I just want it to look *official*, you know? 

[quote user="Kim"]

To my knowledge, prizes are "gifts" from companies that donate them - JDRF does not buy them.  Same for the food and drinks - it's all donated.

I really wouldn't mind using my own moo-lah to get some stuff printed for it if the chapter doesn't have something already, I just want it to look *official*, you know? 

[/quote]

i donno about that. i am pretty sure last year when i was looking at prize info it said the JDRF buys them they aren't donated, so if you don't want your prize, please give it back so it can be used for other events.

I looked it up and I found this on the FAQ page about the walk (granted this is from the JDRF.ca link to the walk so it could just be the Canadian Chapters):

Q. How do I collect an incentive prize?
Walkers who submit $100 or more are eligible to receive an incentive prize as outlined on the pledge form or on JDRF's Walk website. There is one prize per participant, and all funds must be submitted on TELUS Walk day or within three weeks of your local TELUS Walk. Please bring all monies on TELUS Walk day to reduce shipping costs. JDRF pays for all incentive prizes. If you would like to donate your prize back to JDRF please advise the incentive volunteer on event day.

Ooooh.  That's what happens when I always elect not to receive a prize.  :D  And now I've learned something!

I just left our Special Events Coordinator a voicemail, so we'll see what happens.  :)

And, here's what happens:  it looks like there will be a "Juvenation tent" at the Lincoln, NE Walk... and I will be behind it!  :)  Yay!

that's super cool! nice work. other nebraskans can put a face to that kim girl now :o) when's the lincoln walk? the central iowa walk isn't until next april.

The Lincoln Walk is September 26th, so I've got a few months to figure out how this all will work.  :)