Issues with School Field Trip

My daughter (9 y/o) was diagnosed last November and she has a school overnight trip at a camp. I was shocked to find out how difficult it was to have the camp agree to have her attend. Ultimately they agreed but took an enormous amount of documentation from doctors. Has anyone else faced similar barriers?

Hi Jennifer @CMom, two ways to avoid the hassle is to treat you daughter like a “normal” kid and not make a fuss or mention about diabetes [I took school trips and never mentioned diabetes], and the other is to have in place a written plan with the school district [a 504] that covers ALL possibilities for her cars. As long as you are bringing up for discussion with the school that your daughter “may need special attention”, you may need to include current authorizations / certifications from her attending physician. It then would behoove the school to get feisty in attempt to sidestep liability.

Another option is for a parent or some other relative to volunteer to help supervise kids on the field trip, and to lookout for your daughter.

You absolutely need a 504 plan… the school guidance counselor and nurse should be able to explain and arrange this… IT A MUST TO HAVE ONE!
My daughter was diagnosed Aug 3018 the start of school after I notified the school they arranged meeting with everyone administrators nurse guidance ofc and backup care givers if the nurse is not available. I had no clue what I was getting with a 504 plan… when I tell you the school was a blessing… the list of requirements and needs for my daughter was unbelievable… they gave her everything she needed and much more. On field trips the nurse assistant will go if I can’t attend… they are a blessing. I hope your able to get this done for her it’s a huge help in situation like this.

1 Like

Hello,
My daughter was diagnosed at 11, In middle school, I immediately set her up with a 504 plan. I made it up myself and included all I wanted for her so she would not miss out in a thing. She was able to attend science camps, and played 3 sports. She was able to carry her phone and text me her numbers throughout the day and I gave her suggestions for corrections or lows at school. She was able to snack or give herself a shot in class if she wished or step out if she preferred. She was very open and never felt different, she was actually kind of a novelty for awhile. This we made sure was the case for her through high school and college. She is 22 and doing very well to this day. (I also have a 27 year old son who was diagnosed at 17, 8months before his sister)
Being proactive is key in ensuring our children’s rights are kept.
All my best,
VDenerson

2 Likes

Agree with most comments, but my son is also 9 and diagnosed at 7. My wife or I go on all field trips as an automatic chaperone to ensure everything is ok. My other son is 15 and diagnosed at 13. We have a 504 with him but he is old enough that he basically handles his own stuff and we don’t make a fuss.

Hi there, I am 12 yrs old and diagnosed at 10. My school does a waskowitz field trip for the 6th graders. I am in 8 th grade now , but we had quite hassle with the medical staff. We eventually got them to agree to let my mom come along and help me manage my blood sugars while being super active with hikes. Please let me know if I can give any more advice, as I am going on 3 yrs of type one. I am happy to help!!!

My son was diagnosed just before his 9th birthday (4 years ago) and for the first 2 years we always sent a grandparent or one of us with him on school activities, especially overnights. The school also made sure to have multiple adults trained to deal with his diabetes and to help him with shots both at school and on field trips. They also helped get as much information to me ahead of time about meals that would be served so we could figure out carbs and shots ahead of time. Now he is able to calculate it all himself so it’s become much easier. It was never made an issue of his not being able to attend due to his diabetes. I am sorry you are having to deal with these hassels. Definitely get a 504 plan in place if you haven’t already. My school didn’t give me an option but walked me through it.

Continuing the discussion from Issues with School Field Trip:

Thank you all for your advise. The trip was a success!

1 Like

I’m so sorry that you had to go through that!! What BS. In reality, the camp cannot deny your daughter access because diabetes is a protected condition. It would be descriminatory for them to not allow her to attend the camp, especially since you are not asking them to do anything above what they would for any other child. You or the school nurse or another chaperone would do any additional diabetes-related chaperoning, right? The Americans with Disabilities Act is a law that requires businesses to maintain a certain level of accessibility and forbids discrimination based on disability. Know that your daughter has the legal right to have access to every opportunity and priveledge of a non-diabetic child.

As with all things with diabetes and school, it’s not as black and white as most people.replying make it out to be.

One of my T1D kids goes to a public school in a large school district with a full time nurse. She has a 504 plan and the school is required by law to follow it and not discriminate against her.

My other T1D kid goes to a small, non-federally funded, private school that has no nurse and does not do 504 plans. All of his care, field trips or regular school days, is reliant on us. So basically, I have to go on field trips.

Also, as far as the place they are going, they may also have issues re: diabetes. Yes, our kids are covered by the ADA, but that too is not black and white. My daughter wants to go to Girl Scout Camp and yes, they have to allow her to attend and provide “someone to care for her diabetes”…but do I want some random person to care for her that doesn’t know diabetes? See what I mean?

I think the bottom line is that it’s always in our hands. It’s not easy. But if we want life to be “normal” and seamless for our kids…it’s on us.

Good luck!