Insulin requirements are increasing

So I have been having some pretty surprising numbers lately... i feel all out of whack.

For example, Monday I spent ALL DAY above 200. Even with corrections I wouldn't go down. I either went up or stayed the same.

I had been waking up with higher numbers for a few days... so Sunday night I increased my Lantus by 1 unit. To my surprise I woke up Monday at 240. I ate breakfast (with my usual 1:10 ratio) and also corrected (1 unit = +- 50mg/dL).

3.5 Hours later... 222. YIKES. okay so i ate with my usual 1:12 ratio and corrected. About another 3.5 hours later I was at 208. Grrr. So I corrected. WITHOUT FOOD. However... 2 hours later. I was at 236. That made no sense! I ate and corrected. 2.5 hours later... 209. I corrected without food.. 1 hour 45 mins later (bed time)... I was at 263. MADE NO SENSE. I just said okay it was a bad day... so I went to bed.

Woke up at 183 Tuesday morning. *note i switched my novolog vial today* okay... better but not what I want. I ate breakfast and corrected, as normal. I'll spare the details... but i did that ALL day and again it just wasn't working. I switched my Lantus vial as well today.

What I didn't understand was today... I woke up at 177. I decided since I have been higher after breakfast I would switch my ratio to 1:8. I did that as well as corrected but what scared me is that 2 hours later I was at 277.

I figure

A. I'm coming out of honeymoon and need to adjust my numbers significantly. I plan on increasing my Lantus dosage again tonight.

OR

B. My lifestyle has changed since coming home from college for winter break and I just need to adjust my numbers to meet my new lifestyle

OR

C. Combination of both

Any tips, suggestions, or ideas?

I still feel so new to this...

Thanks in advance

Just keep increasing your insulin until your blood sugar is under control. Then if it goes low bring it down and hopefully it will even out.

It sounds like you've figured it out.  It's probably a combination of the two but mainly due to A.  Increasing your lantus sounds like a smart idea here.

Are you under more stress for any reason? Could you be getting a cold? Are you getting less exercise (even just less walking around in your daily routine)? Any hormonal changes possible? Is the weather much colder/hotter?

All of those things change my blood sugar and my insulin needs...

[quote user="Melissa"]

So I have been having some pretty surprising numbers lately... i feel all out of whack.

A. I'm coming out of honeymoon and need to adjust my numbers significantly. I plan on increasing my Lantus dosage again tonight.

OR

B. My lifestyle has changed since coming home from college for winter break and I just need to adjust my numbers to meet my new lifestyle

OR

C. Combination of both

[/quote]

Melissa, 

every spring and fall I have to adjust both my carb ratios and my basals.  If you are comfortable with it - check and adjust your mealtime carb ratios and make sure you test both in the AM and for dinner.  Do you know how to check your basal rate?  It involves skipping meals and testing to see if your BS is climbing or falling.  If you are uncomfpratble then check in with your doctos.  good luck if you have questions please ask!