Induction Cooktop

Hi All. This is my first time in this forum so thank you in advance for reading this. My wife and I are planning a kitchen renovation for this summer and recently ordered an induction cooktop. After some additional research, we came across some information that stated there’s a possibility the electromagnetic field could interfere with our 16-year-old daughter’s Omnipod and Dexcom. Has anyone had this experience? I’m ready to cancel the order if there’s any chance this could happen and go back to a regular cooktop but figured I’d check first and see if anyone else has had a problem. Thank you!

No chance. Hi @tkeogh welcome to TypeOneNation. In my opinion, you’ll be fine. Now if she goes near a MRI it’s a different story.

Thankfully I don’t need any type of scans very often but I would go to great pains to schedule them at or near the end of a sensor session - I removed it before going on and started a new one when I was finished.
Please verify this yourself, but I placed a support call to Dexcom regarding something else and mentioned that - they said they replace sensors you have to remove for scans.
A little off topic but I thought I would mention it.
PS - welcome to the forum, and rest assured @joe is extremely knowledgeable - he really knows his stuff.

I have an induction cook top in my kitchen and have experienced no issues with my dexcom/ tslim x2 coms. Hopefully this eases your mind.

It does! I decided not to take the chance when ordering my new oven but appreciate you getting back to me! At least I know it’s an option moving forward. Thanks again!

@tkeogh . @Joe, @wadawabbit

Thomas, I am unsure why your post is just surfacing. There is concern of an unknown level that some pumps are susceptible to magnetic fields. I am not familiar with Pods except to say after participating in a clinical trial with them, I would not use one regularly & would go back to MDI.

That said. I did find this in Tandem literature. Avoid ‘strong’ magnetic fields ‘like’ those in some amusement rides. Here is the link.

https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/legal/important-safety-information/tflex

Hope this helps.

Confession time - don’t try this at home (or your radiology office as the case may be): many years ago I had to get a scan - I think it was an MRI - of my frozen shoulder. I had probably removed my Dexcom sensor and brought a new one with me to insert after the procedure was done.
I lay down on the table with my arm in a very awkward and painful position considering my shoulder issue, and was hoping the scan would go quickly. The test started and I felt something pounding near my hip :flushed:. I knew it wasn’t a body part but couldn’t figure out what it could be - it was not one of my brighter moments as it took a while for me to realize I’d forgotten to remove my pump!!! Now any sensible, right minded person would have pressed the call button to stop the scan, remove it and have it put in a safe place. But nooooo - not me. This had been going on for a few minutes already, and I was determined to finish with that test - my arm was hurting so badly I just wanted to get it over with, not start again - so I kept going. Thankfully I was due for a new pump in a few weeks anyway - even more thankfully I did not notice any issues in the remaining time. Hopefully the existing warranty would have covered any damage but thankfully I didn’t have to find out. Since then I’ve double checked to make sure I removed everything - either I lock it in a locker or have the tech hold it in their safety booth (I’ve never had a problem and they’ve always been willing).

1 Like

Good story! @wadawabbit I’m shocked though, if you were in a big enough field to move your pump, given the tiny amounts of iron based metal in a pump, it could have been much worse. Like rip it off your body and smash the magnet worse. On the MRI room I designed for research, we installed a metal detector at the entrance as a kind if a last chance emergency warning. I am glad nothing “bad” happened :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

I had no idea anything that serious could have happened! So thankful it did not, to say the least.

1 Like

Thank you for the article! I appreciate all the feedback and support from this group!

1 Like