In the Car

So my car and I have a love hate relationship, I love to drive it and it loves being driven. However, my car feels the need to not allow me to keep stuff in it so that I can drive it whenever I want to. Silly car. My car hates all things sweet. These past few months I have been running into issues with keeping something in my car in case I go low.

Example 1: In my glove box I stored one whatchamacallit and one snickers bar. The sun and my car conspired together and melted it.

Example 2: In hopes of thwarting my cars attempts to melt chocolate I figure why not use gummy worms/bears etc. In another moment of spite, my car teamed up with the sun once again and melted that package into my messy glob of gumminess.

Example 3: So thwarted again by my car I figure why not move past the "food" idea and go with juices. Raise your hand if you like luke warm juice!

So right now I have glucose tabs in my car, they work and all, but when I go low I get stubborn and frankly sometimes I hate glucose tabs. In an effort to mess with my mind I bought a bottle of the liquid glucose by ReliOn. It was Mixed Berry in flavor. It tasted like a melted freeze pop, not so yummy. Granola bars tend to take to long as they are complex carbs, but I do have one of those in my car as well. Oye. What do you keep in your car?

Try rockets or pixie sticks or sweet tarts.  I hate glucose tabs too:P

I absolutely despise glucose tabs!  But for the car, they tend to be the best...  Lows in general just are not enjoyable.  But sweet tarts and pixie sticks are probably a fast sugar source as well.  Do you drive far and often?

I keep Shot Blocs, from CLIF.  They're meant for endurance sports, (yes, I know a low doesn't qualify!), but they're small, have 8 carbs in each one, and taste decent.  They're gummy - similar to gummy bears or fruit snacks - but I haven't have them melt on me yet!

You can buy them on the CLIF website or at sports stores.  Good luck!

Haha Am I the only one that thinks glucose tablets just taste like candy?  Mmmm... :)

I keep life savers - the big resealable packs that have individually wrapped pieces, and candy corn.  I've probably got some packs of peanut butter crackers floating around in there too.  Twizzlers work pretty good for me too.  But i tend to eat those just because they're there...so they're never around when i actually need one.

Pixie sticks.... yumm... That is all I need is to have a low reach for some pixie sticks and get pulled over by a cop and see me covered in white powder... But that is a good idea.

I like twizzlers as well, but they have gone stale on me before so I tend not to keep them in the car once I start to eat the pack.

Glucose tabs for me are not bad, but they are not the greatest and frankly if I am low I want to enjoy what I am eating and truly for me there is no joy in eating a glucose tab!

Juice boxes or capri sun, power bars, and those gummy fruit snack thingies.  I'm thinking of re visiting glucose tables though.  I think they're pretty good.  It doesn't get hot here very often so the melting thing is not really an issue.  Pixie sticks sounds like a good idea too.

MMM, CVS Glucose Tablets Tropical Blast. (CVS should pay me for the advertisement)

I hate anything orange flavored and hate raspberry because it just don't taste any better then sidewalk chalk in my experience. Grape always taste like cough syrup. But the tropical blast flavors are about as good as glucose tablets get.

I also carry the large size "Smarties" they have the same carb content as glucose tabs (1= 4gm of carb.) And they keep well enough and i can fill my old glucose tab holders with them.

You can also carry packaged crackers easily to follow up your quick carbs if need be.

Too bad you're not a female, Brian, 'cause all that stuff fits into a purse :)

Mo

I think glucose tablets taste okay, kind of like a knock-off sweet tart.  I usually have those on hand, don't mind warm juice in case of need, and usually packs of peanut butter crackers.  The heat trapped inside the car doesn't do too much damage to them.

So wait, this Purse thing that you are talking about Mo' if I put that in my car with my gummy worms in it, would they not melt?? Being a guy I am confused, these magical purse things keep stuff cool too?? :-p

Even if I had a purse I have a feeling that I would somehow manage to melt stuff. Sigh. I put skittles in my car today, they should last, I went to Wallyworld to get a DVD for my Mom and meant to get Pixie Sticks when I was on my errand, but I got distracted buying Birthday Cards for my friends and forgot. At least I have the skittles.

The J. Peterman Catalog offers a european carry all that would be ideal for your situation.

I have BD brand glucose tablets (the cheap ones don't work as well for me) plus I have Sunny D in my console. I don't mind the juice if it's warm as long as I start to feel better : )

Candy wise i keep starburst in my truck. but in the sun whether on me or in the vehicle they get mushy and stuck to the wrapper when i need them. I also keep wheat and cheese crackers which usually do well in the sun. but on humid days the cheese spreads all over the wrapper. granola bars are great but i always get peanut butter or chocolate chip ones which are a nightmare in the sun. one thing that does work and works to our benefit in the sun for a quick rebound are poptarts. even if they get nuked by the sun in a vehicle...i think that makes them taste like they just came out of the toaster.

[quote user="Brian"]So wait, this Purse thing that you are talking about Mo' if I put that in my car with my gummy worms in it, would they not melt?? Being a guy I am confused, these magical purse things keep stuff cool too?? :-p [/quote]

The thing with purses is that we carry them where ever we go, so if we're in the car, the food won't be heated up for a long period of time, because as soon as we get out of the car, the purse comes with us. So, if we go to a store or work or whatever, the food inside our purse stays cool. Unless, of course, there's no AC where we are.

So, no, unfortunately, purses do not hold any magical powers. (=

|†~*Sarah*~†|

[quote user="Wolf"]one thing that does work and works to our benefit in the sun for a quick rebound are poptarts. even if they get nuked by the sun in a vehicle...i think that makes them taste like they just came out of the toaster. [/quote]

Poptarts are great! Even if they happen to get squished, the filling keeps them from crumbling all over. Granted, I'm not a huge fan of the taste of Poptarts, but they do work well for lows.

|†~*Sarah*~†|

i dont really have anything in the car for lows. i have candies in my purse and my mom has candies in her purse and she has juice for my lows.

Sense guys pants seem to have large pockets you could get a small kind of candy and always have it in your pocket. Or, just get candy that doesnt melt.

Do any of you ladies keep an emergency glucagon kit in your purse? I have for quite awhile now because I figure that that my purse is the only thing that is with me wherever I go. I know that if God forbid I passed out in a grocery store that the avrage person is not going to know how to use it or that I have it.but if my husband is with me he does and everyone at work at least knows that I carry it in my purse, that is always right beside me. so Brian in a way my purse kind of seems like it has magical powers to me because it holds something that could save my life. kinda cool I think.

and I always keep glucose tabs in my car and purse. I do think they are gross but they work well so I don't mind them.