I'm not telling my Grandparents

I've had diabetes since March 2008. & I have not told my Grandparents. They are getting old, and a little looney, and I don't want them to worry, & they are the type of people who will make you feel bad about something like this.

Am I crazy, or mean? Has anyone not told some people in their lives?

I told my grandparents, and to be honest I'm thankful for their support. They're extremely sweet about it - my grandma is always insisting on attending these little "diabetes education" classes held in back corners of libraries, which I find cute - and my grandfather, a type 2 diabetic, is always cheering me on. Given he's had me beat in the A1c department for the last few months, but. There's something about discussing diabetes with him that makes me smile; it makes me feel closer with him. That, and, he's so stubbornly unfavoring blood sugar testing that he often hands his brand new meters (with strips!) off to me. Which is cool :)

If I was you, of course I would consider telling them. Even if they do worry, you're family. You're their granddaughter. In my opinion, that right there is enough to earn them the right to know. Wouldn't you want to know if something happened to them? Wouldn't you want to know if they were diabetic? Sure, you'd worry. But you'd also want to be there for them.

This is just my opinion. Of course, do what you think is best and what you are most comfortable with. But whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck with it :)

I do want to tell them, but I've been living with it for a while now, & I feel like I would hurt there feelings with them knowing I kept it from them for this long. It's kinda like, I dug myself into this hole, and & now I can't get out of it, you know?

True. But it doesn't have to be a big deal if you don't make it one. Of course, it's pretty dramatic to call them up and say, "Oh, by the way. I've had a disease for months now, I just haven't said anything." Rather, it's easier just to mention at dinner one night, perhaps, Oh, at a doctors appointment they said that I'm diabetic so I've been on insulin for a bit.

Or, you can get your parents to talk to them. They'll understand completley if they (I say 'they' because I understand it's hard to explain the feelings toward this towards grandparents, or at least that's how I feel) explain you've been kind of quiet and uncertain about it, but she wants you to know that this is going on, etc. etc.

I do like that idea. My parent's have said that they would be willing to tell them, or be with me when I do.

Well, keep me in your thoughts while I think about telling them, & I'll let you know how it goes :)

Consider it done :) Good luck, Nicole. Another thing? If it's too hard in person, try a phone call. If it's too hard to say, try an e-mail. I'm glad for you, whichever way it works out :)

I agree with everyone here who is saying to tell them...

You could probably legitimately explain the lapse in time from your diagnosis to now simply by saying that you had to accept it and learn about it yourself before feeling comfortable about telling them.

Good luck; you are in my thoughts!