I'm going to kick myself for this... (pump)

I don't want to simply reiterate what others have said, but I'll try to add another viewpoint. I've been pumping for almost three years, by the way.

Sleeping - I generally sleep in ball shorts, so I just stick the pump in a pocket and go to sleep. I sleep on my belly, and am regularly lying on top of the pump, but it hasn't caused any problems. If I just sleep in my underwear, I let the pump lie wherever it wants, haha. Really though, I just lay the pump to the side, and fall asleep. I don't really move in my sleep, though, so this may not be possible for you.

Swimming/etc - I have the Minimed Paradigm 722 as well, and I just simply disconnect and place the cap/whatever you want to call it on. I have had the canula tear out before while swimming, however. I was getting out of a pool without the use of the ladder, and my stomach rubbed the lip of the pool wall, and it tore it out. I hadn't changed sites in 3-4 days at that point, though, so it was already loose.

Tubing - As a dude, my answer to this question probably isn't going to help you that much. I'm always wearing pants/shorts with pockets, so I just put the pump and extra tubing into my pocket. Works like a charm.

Sex - Again, my answer isn't going to help. I'm a proud carrier of my V card, so I cannot offer an opinion. I do think it would be fine if you just disconnected the pump, though. Someone said it took 2 seconds to disconnect a Minimed. I bet it takes less than that.

Insulin - Like Gina mentioned, the only real problem here is the chance of getting a bad site. I have never heard of an insulin pump releasing the wrong amount of insulin (or rather, different than what the user told it to release).

Looks like I reiterated what everyone else said. Oh well. Hope it helps!

Hi Batts,

I've been diabetic for for 39 years and have been on (and off) the pump many times.  My first pump was a Minimed 406, and at that time the infusion set terminated in a metal needle (if I recall correctly)... talk about pain.  We didn't even have Humalog yet.  Now I have a Minimed 722 and use the silhouette infusion sets.  The technology has sure come a long way.

Yes, you have cited all the "real" downsides of the pump.  Like I implied above, many times throughout the years I got fed up with the damn pump and went back to injections.  Sometimes I would do it for a few days or weeks and call it a "pump holiday."  Once I was off it for an entire year.  But I kept coming back to the pump and now I've been on it for years without the desire for a break.  (once I even thought that if the pump had been invented before the syringe, the syringe might have been hailed a breakthrough in diabetes management!)

My point is... your concerns are "real."  The pump is far from perfect.  (Only a cure would be perfect.)  If it's not for you at this stage in your life and you can maintain control by injections, that's fine.  What's best for one person is not necessarily best for another.  What's best for you now might not be best in the future.  Don't let pump users "guilt" you into it.  And you can disconnect the pump temporarily when your involved in strenuous exercise like swimming... or sex.  Just don't forget to reconnect it.

Give it a shot (bad pun).  If it's not right for you now... that's ok.

Stay well,

Paul

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]My point is... your concerns are "real."  The pump is far from perfect.  (Only a cure would be perfect.)  If it's not for you at this stage in your life and you can maintain control by injections, that's fine.  What's best for one person is not necessarily best for another.  What's best for you now might not be best in the future.  Don't let pump users "guilt" you into it.  And you can disconnect the pump temporarily when your involved in strenuous exercise like swimming... or sex.  Just don't forget to reconnect it.[/quote]

Yeah I donno I figure if I try it and don't like it when pumpers look at me like I'm a freak of nature for not having it, I can have a more vaild reason than "I dont like the idea of it". I've been gone off at for not pumping, and when ranting about my blood sugar, had people go "well if you were on the pump like you should be, you'd have better control". It gets old and annoying after a while..but I guess I do it too when they bitch about syringes being painful..cuz it just makes me think they are babies, syringes don't hurt! haha. If I can get the Omni-pod I'll give it a trial and see how I like it..if not, I'll probably skip the trial until it's available.

If I had the tubing, and had to disconnect everytime I had sex or go swimming, whatever..I'm honestly more likely to forget to reconnect....

Batts,

Like I said, don't let anyone "guilt" you into it.  I use a pump, but my 25-year-old diabetic son who rides hundreds of miles a week on a bicycle does not.  His control is probably as good as mine.  I was reading some pages from Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, and while he seems to like the idea of the CGM, he doesn't believe in the pump at all.  He himself has been a diabetic for 62 years.  The bottom line is that there are diabetics who use injections who have great control and there are those who do not.  Likewise, there are diabetics on pumps who have great control and there are those who do not.  Both treatment options must be supported with the same blood glucose monitoring, diet , exercise and medical care.  Without this, neither will work.

Hi Batts!   you sound just like me!  i have been type 1 for 38 yrs now and i still am using the Humalog pen and Lantus shots 5 times daily!   i have many fears about the pump as well and many are included in ur list above!    i have good control so far  and have no complications after being type 1 soo long!    so i do not want to switch to the pump     do not like the idea of tubing either.

• Sleeping - is no problem and it was my biggest fear.  I have a husband that's 6'5", and we sleep on a queen size bed - so between the tossing, turning, knee bending and cover snatching... I've never had a problem. (and I usually sleep in a t-shirt, sometimes with underwear, sometimes without. I hook the pump on the tail of my t-shirt)
  • Swimming/Exercising/Hot Tubs/Disconnecting - these are no prob either.  Disconnecting it is as easy a twisting the top off an Oreo cookie.  The only thing I've found is that you must let everything completely dry before touching or adjusting it AFTER your swim, bath, or fun tub excursion.
  • Having tubing (GAH!)  - Tuck it in your panties.  Simple.
  • Sex - Twist to disconnect then smile.  Sex for up to two hours with no pump.  Enough said. *grin*

You only fear the unfamiliar... but it took me a LONG time to get up the courage to try it, so I don't blame you for your worries.

Hope this helped.  Kristi

I'm on the MiniMed 722 pump just as Doug is and when I got my 1st pump 6 yrs ago I was a little freaked out by the tubing and the training and having to remember everything. But when the nurse came to the house for training and she was on one to it made things a little easier.

As far as the tubing goes I've caught it once or twice and it gives a little tug and I just tuck it in a little more if I'm wearing nothing but my house coat cause I slept in the buff the night before. And for sex my bf was a little freaked out the 1st time and it took him some getting used to but he was ok with it and I sometimes disconnect my pump but in the spur of the moment times I don't and it's never been a problem, and we can get pretty active to!! You can get different length tubings just to give you some space from it or even some piece of mind. I use the 23" with the 6mm cannula. I like it cause it's not to much tubing when your getting dressed, I don't even know it's there and now I don't even know I'm wearing it and have to check to make sure it's there.

As far as swimming and hot tubing it, you do have to take your pump off because it's not water proof, but once you disconnect the skies are the limit. You just come back and test ever once in a while I do about every hr or 2 hrs and reconnect if I have to give insulin and if I do it doesn't take long and then disconnect and go again.

For relying on technology to give you your insulin doses I can kinda see that because I felt the same way I had have only had 2 problems with the pump the 1st time being when it was rewinding during a set change it sounded louder than usual but it was still giving the proper dose. I call the tech people and played the sound for them and they sent me out a NEW pump and recieved it the next day and they included a package to send back the other pump. And the second time I had dropped it and the screen went all funny and call the tech's again and the aranged for me to get a NEW pump THAT day!! So I feel pretty same with the technology and the companies policies when I have problems.

So hopefully this helps and can give you a some more info. for your decision

Batts, I hear you on all those concerns. I'm also considering going on a pump and have worried about the same issues. I'm a little less worried about the computer malfunctioning, and more worried about water proofing since I swim a lot.

As for the sleeping bit, and rolling over on the tubing or getting it tangled because you thrash around, I just asked my new CDE last week about that. She showed me the tubing on her Medtronic pump, and then tied the tubing in an overhand knot and pulled it tight, really hard. Point being the tubing is apparently built so that it won't kink or get crushed very easily. I also sleep without clothes and haven't liked the idea of being connected at night. But my CDE said she just puts it on the bedside table and if she rolls over the tubing or whatever, it's fine.

As for the sex bit, that's the one I'm probably most leery of. But the way I am looking at it now, is yeah having to unclip from the pump will probably be kind of a pain and maybe isn't the sexiest and most spontaneous thing when you're trying to get it on, but it doesn't seem that different from putting on a rubber so I think I'll get used to it.

As for the technology part, I think it's probably like airplanes....the crashes seem pretty scary, but the actual statistics show that your chances of being in one are really low.

Let us know how it goes if you do get one ...

BP

i think i've decided if i DO go on a pump trial..i'm gonna go with this http://www.animas.ca/2020-diabetes-insulin-pumps.aspx

i already use the lifescan one touch meter and this seems the best of what's available in canada..waterproof even for hot tubs which is a plus..

still nervous tho!

[quote user="Batts"]

i think i've decided if i DO go on a pump trial..i'm gonna go with this http://www.animas.ca/2020-diabetes-insulin-pumps.aspx

[/quote]

I am going on a 1 week saline trial with this pump in the middle of July to see if I will be able to handle having something on me....

so you're still taking shots? what happens to the saline that gets pumped into your body?

Yah so I will still be taking shots...but everytime I bolus with my pen I will bolus with the pump too, just to kind of get used to it and see what it would be like.  The saline basically just hydrates you, really does absolutely nothing.  I am doing it to figure out if I can handle wearing the thing or not haha.

haha thats not a bad idea!

Wow, I love your honesty.  This is my first day of signing on to this juvenation and what a relief to talk with other type I adults!!

Well, I am curious to know if you tried the pump.

I am on the pump (minimed 722) and totally understand your feelings about it.  I had pretty good control on shots and did not mind taking shots- I really didn't.

The reason that I went on the pump was for several reasons:  mostly pregnancy.  When I knew I was going to be responsible for ANOTHER human being, I had to be as aggressive as possible and pregnancy involves like 12 blood pricks a day and constant adjusting of insulin.  Then Lantus was only lasting for about 20-21 hours for me so it just didn't quite make it for 24 hours- I used to take lantus once  aday and then humalog injections everytime I ate.  Maybe my doctor could have done something else to get me through that 3-4 period when my Lantus seemed to wear off, but at the time I just switched to the pump because of pregnancy.

Then after my 3rd child was born, there was no going back to injections because by that point, I thought this was probably the most aggressive form of management since you can adjust soooo many rates for things like Dawn phenom, exercising, stress, special occasions.  And plus after the kids were born, the realization was that I am still responsible for ANOTHER human being just because there weren't in the womb and I better take the best care of myself.  But, I really don't mean to sound like you can't do that on shots- really, if you can do that on shots, which I did for many years and have great AIC's with shots- stick to it.

There are life style things that are a drag with the pump- like I love going to the beach- it is easy to disconnect, but there are issues of keeping the pump from getting hot, the sand and then keep reconnecting to give yourself a little bit of insulin every hour since you are disconnected- pools are jacuzzis are easier because there is not the sand factor.

I don't play any contact sports anymore like soccer, so that is not an issue.  I exercise 5 days a week with it on at the gym and depending on my bloodsugar, etc... will even disconnect it for an hour at the gym if I am doing a vigourous workout (that just depends on several factors)

Regarding sex, it has not been a problem for me.  It is easy to disconnect (like it takes 1 second) and my husband doesn't really notice.  Of course, having an understanding caring partner is key to any kind of intimacy anyway.

Well, really, it is a personal decision and there are many factores to consider- One thing is sure, there is no harm in just trying it and then making a decision.  Technically, if you can work your cell phone, then you can work a pump!  You can use it simply or some  like mine has advanced features too- again like a cell phone!

You have to live with your diabetes- you are the manager- so it is your decision- I think the biggest thing to think about is if your AIC is over 7, then you need to rethink how you are managing your diabetes to avoid complications. 

Laura

haha im pretty blunt, yes.

i'm on lantus, but i split it into two shots a day because one doesn't last long enough in my system.

i could see it helping with pregnancy, but both of my past pregnancies were accidents and i don't plan on getting pregnant and keeping it until my endo gives me the thumbs up and i'm either married or in a solid enough relationship, so i'm not really thing about having it for that benefit at the moment.

it's not that i don't think i could work it..i'm pretty good with technology, i can figure things out without manuals(mostly because manuals confuse me and i learn better by actually DOING it than reading about it)...i juts don't like the idea of relying on technology to do my job for me.

i haven't tried it yet, my endo appointment isn't until July 23rd. so we'll see then what he says about the CSGM(which i want to try more than the pump) and the pump. and we'll see what's happened to my a1c since the last time when i had a three week period of non-stop highs due to stress(no amount of insulin would bring it down..so i don't think a pump would've helped haha).

Wow, you got me thinking. 

I have been reluctant to try to CSGM because there is NO WAY I am going to have two things connected to me since I already wear a pump.  But I have really been wanting to wear one.  I've been telling myself, I'll wait until they combine into one device (pump with CSGM- I am assuming Minimed is working on that!) Plus, I didn't think my insurance company would cover it and the supplies are super expensive.  BUT, all this talk about it on juvenation and hearing how others are getting it makes me think it is more readily available than I think.

So with that said, if I could achieve really good control with shots, and I was really reluctant to wear anything- I would try the CSGM.  I understand the reluctance of being hooked up to a machine so two machines would be really difficult.  Honestly, I'm ok with wearing the pump, but I can't get past wear two things!!  So what's getting me thinking is talking to my doctor about going back to shots and trying the CSGM.  Maybe some of you pumpers will send me emails saying that is taking two steps backwards, but I just really want to check out the CSGM thing too.  I just see sooooo much value in that and see myself wearing two machines.  So all this thought has prompted me to talk about this with my endo next month-  He is really, really good so he will advise me if this is crazy talk.   But, thanks for sharing your ideas, it is getting me to think about other options in managing this disease.

I am really liking this website as it is a breath of fresh air to me after dealing with this disease for 26 years!!  I kind of felt like out there by myself even though I have a good doctor and am really healthy (no complications) and live a pretty good life- it is just dealing with this disease is pretty big really even though I try to live my life like it is not that big of a deal.

Laura

Hi - In response Laura, MiniMed is working on it and has a 'closed loop' system that is already available in the UK.  So the pump and GCM is all in one.  My guess is that we have to wait for the FDA to twiddle their thumbs a bit until we get it.  My calls and e-mails to MiniMed regarding timing have not been helpful yet but I'm till pushing.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.  In the mean time, here's a link to the pump/gcm that is available in the UK. The call it the Veo. http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/product-information/paradigm-veo/key-features-and-benefits.html   Good luck.

[quote user="Doug D"]

Hi - In response Laura, MiniMed is working on it and has a 'closed loop' system that is already available in the UK.  So the pump and GCM is all in one.  My guess is that we have to wait for the FDA to twiddle their thumbs a bit until we get it.  My calls and e-mails to MiniMed regarding timing have not been helpful yet but I'm till pushing.  I'll let you know if I hear anything.  In the mean time, here's a link to the pump/gcm that is available in the UK. The call it the Veo. http://www.medtronic-diabetes.co.uk/product-information/paradigm-veo/key-features-and-benefits.html   Good luck.

[/quote]

Doug D, I think you posted this link once before.  I looked at it and it is not an all-in-one unit I don't believe.  They make it sound like it is, but if you click on the link for Continuos Glucose Monitoring that it says it has, it returns a page that contians:

"Continuous glucose monitoring is made possible with the help of a tiny glucose sensor that you wear for up to 6 days at a time. Just like an infusion set cannula, the sensor is easily inserted using an automatic device provided with the system.  The sensor attaches to a small lightweight MiniLink™ Transmitter that sends glucose sensor data wirelessly to the insulin pump through advanced radio frequency (RF) wireless technology."

I think they are calling it "closed loop" becuase it contains the feature that if your BS gets below a certain point, it will stop delivering insulin.   Minimed has as it's goal to have a "closed loop" system where you just put it on and go.  No testing.  No bolusing etc.  The pump handles everything.  A mechanical pancreas.  I think I read that this is their first baby step at getting such a system to work.

I'm like you Laura, once someone gets a pump/CGM all-in-on unit where I don't have to do finger poke testing anymore, I'm there.  Still seems to be a ways off though. 

Maybe 5 - 10 years, right Doug D?

Crap - you are right!  They did make it sound like it was all in one but it's not.  Well, DDrumminMan, I hope we don't have to wait 5-10 years but I'm sure you are right there as well.  Takes a while for the FDA to approve anything.  Hopefully by the time it gets around to an 'all in one' system, we'll be closer to a cure and it won't matter!

Hi!

I totally understand every concern that you have about the pump because I felt very similarly about a year ago.

I now have a pump and LOVE it! Why did I decide to try it? Because I will never turn anything down without having tried it/having a good reason not to try it. I figured if I hated it I would go back to my needles.

I am EXTREMELY active, I work out every day, I am 23 years old and I like to wear bathing suits and dresses all summer and I was concerned about all of these issues. I find the pump is easy to hide in my bra strap, I take it off for hours at a time on the beach, I disconnect before I go in a pool or hot tub (the same way you do before a shower), I disconnect completely at the gym, etc. I also have the insertion piece on my lower back/butt area so it is always covered (unless you wear a thong at the beach!) so no one even notices it. People have had no clue that I even have a pump.

I was also worried about sleeping, I roll around alot, etc. but I set the keyguard at night and it has never once bothered me, woken me up, etc. I roll around on it, the tubing is indestructable, no problems. Nothing will happen to it if you drop it, or if someone hits in. When you're playing sports or actively dancing alot you should probably disconnect anyway.

Sex- most guys don't really care if you have to disconnect somethign beforehand. Yes, it can be awkward if you just met someone and you have to stop and take off your pump, but oh well! And, if you have a serious bf he should be understanding if your situation and hopefully won't be bothered by it.

I get fewer low blood sugars now than ever, my A1C is 5.3!, I have great control--I love the pump. I definitely think it's worth trying. It isn't really that an anonymous computer is delivering your insulin, YOU still have total control to tell it how much insulin to give you and when and how! You can drag it out over long hours, etc. It takes a little practice and experimenting at first to figure out your basal rate (total for the day, sorta like Lantus) but it's worth it. It is much more like a real and natural pancreas in that it is always giving you a little insulin. Definitely give it a chance!

Danit